- Cohoctah Township, Michigan
Cohoctah Township, Michigan — Township — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State Michigan County Livingston Area – Total 38.3 sq mi (99.3 km2) – Land 38.1 sq mi (98.7 km2) – Water 0.2 sq mi (0.6 km2) Elevation 886 ft (270 m) Population (2000) – Total 3,394 – Density 89.1/sq mi (34.4/km2) Time zone Eastern (EST) (UTC-5) – Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4) ZIP code 48816 Area code(s) 517 FIPS code 26-16920 GNIS feature ID 1623162
Cohoctah Township is a civil township of Livingston County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 3,394 at the 2000 census. It is located in the northwest quadrant of the county, bordered by Conway Township to the west, Deerfield Township to the east, and Howell Township to the south. To the north is Shiawassee County.
Farming is the primary use of land, with only three small towns serving as population centers:
- Cohoctah is an unincorporated community in the northeast quadrant of the township at the junction of Oak Grove Rd and Cohoctah Rd at  The ZIP code is 48816. There is a small general store, a gas station, a feed supply store, and a machine shop.
- Cohoctah Center is an unincorporated community, which despite its name, is somewhat to the northwest of the center of Cohoctah Township at  It was settled in 1833 by Lyman Boughton and Gilbert Prentiss. The town was also called Sprungtown for Isaac Sprung, one of its more prominent citizens. It is the site of the township hall, but has no retail or commercial establishments. .
- Oak Grove is an unincorporated community about 6.5 miles north of Howell, and about 4.25 miles south of Cohoctah, near the intersection of Oak Grove Road and Faussett Road, in the eastern part of Cohoctah Township at . The ZIP code is 48863. It has a small general store, a feed store, but no other retail or commercial establishments.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 38.3 square miles (99 km2), of which, 38.1 square miles (99 km2) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) of it (0.60%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,394 people, 1,124 households, and 938 families residing in the township. The population density was 89.1 per square mile (34.4/km²). There were 1,206 housing units at an average density of 31.7 per square mile (12.2/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.91% White, 0.06% African American, 0.47% Native American, 0.27% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 0.38% from other races, and 0.82% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.94% of the population.
There were 1,124 households out of which 41.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 73.3% were married couples living together, 6.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 16.5% were non-families. 13.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.02 and the average family size was 3.30.
In the township the population was spread out with 29.0% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 31.1% from 25 to 44, 25.3% from 45 to 64, and 6.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 108.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $57,500, and the median income for a family was $63,182. Males had a median income of $51,028 versus $27,750 for females. The per capita income for the township was $21,582. About 1.9% of families and 2.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.0% of those under age 18 and 3.3% of those age 65 or over.
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Cohoctah Township, Michigan
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Cohoctah, Michigan
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Cohoctah Center, Michigan
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Oak Grove, Michigan
Municipalities and communities of Livingston County, Michigan Cities Villages Charter
Anderson | Bullis Crossing | Chalkerville | Chilson | Cohoctah | Cohoctah Center | Deer Creek | Deerfield Center | Fleming | Green Oak | Gregory | Hallers Corners | Hamburg | Hell | Island Lake | Kaiserville | Lakeland | Nicholson ‡ | Oak Grove | Parkers Corners | Parshallville | Plainfield | Pettysville | Rushton | Tyrone Center | Unadilla | Whitmore Lake ‡ | Williamsville
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Unadilla Township, Michigan — Township … Wikipedia
Brighton Township, Michigan — Brighton Charter Township, Michigan Charter township Brighton Township Hall, Buno Rd … Wikipedia
Putnam Township, Michigan — Township Putnam Township Hall, West M 36 … Wikipedia
Conway Township, Michigan — There is also an unincorporated community named Conway, Michigan in Emmet County. Conway Township, Michigan Township … Wikipedia
Genoa Township, Michigan — Genoa Charter Township, Michigan Charter township Genoa Township Hall, Dorr Rd … Wikipedia
Oceola Township, Michigan — There are also two places named Osceola Township, Michigan and Osceola County, Michigan. Oceola Township, Michigan Township … Wikipedia
Deerfield Township, Livingston County, Michigan — There are other Deerfield Townships in Michigan. Deerfield Township, Michigan Township … Wikipedia
Marion Township, Livingston County, Michigan — There are other Marion Townships in Michigan. Marion Township, Michigan Township Township Hall, Coon Lake Road … Wikipedia
List of cities, villages, and townships in Michigan — This is a list of cities, villages, townships, some unincorporated communities, and some census designated places (CDPs) in the U.S. state of Michigan, arranged in alphabetical order. Michigan has 276 cities, 257 villages, 1,240 townships, and… … Wikipedia
Municipio de Cohoctah (condado de Livingston, Míchigan) — Municipio de Cohoctah Municipio de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español