- Karl May movies
Karl May movies are movies based on stories and characters by German author
Karl May(1842-1912). The characters Old Shatterhand, Winnetou, and Kara Ben Nemsiare very famous in Germany.
In most of the film versions the novels were reworked to a great extent, some movies using only the names of characters invented by Karl May For example, in the book "Der Schatz im Silbersee" ("The treasure of Silver Lake") the main character was called "Old Firehand" - in the movie he was renamed "Old Shatterhand" (played by American actor
Lex Barker) after the more famous character. The movies Old Shatterhand ("Apaches Last Battle") and "Winnetou und sein Freund Old Firehand" ("Thunder at the Border") are not based on any of May's works, but were completely invented by the screenwriters. Several TV productions, such as "Das Buschgespenst" and "Kara Ben Nemsi Effendi", were much closer to the novels.
In foreign distribution, most of the movie titles were not translated directly into the target language, but new movie titles were made up. For American distribution the makers of the movie posters also "invented" some new color formats such as "Flaming Arrow Color" for the movie "Der Schatz im Silbersee" [http://www.martin-boettcher.net/clip03a.jpg] and "Apache Color" [http://www.martin-boettcher.net/clip04a.jpg] for "Winnetou 1. Teil" (called "Apache Gold" in America).
The silent movies of the 1920s are now probably lost.
For 10 movies in the 1960s, German composer
Martin Böttcherwrote landmark film scores, whose success also helped the movies' international success and influenced the Italian movie industry to make Western movies of their own and create a whole new genre, the Spaghetti western(whose most successful composer Ennio Morriconecame to fame just after Martin Böttcher).
(American movie titles in brackets)
* Auf den Trümmern des Paradieses (-) (1920), dir.: Josef Stein (
* Die Todeskarawane ("Caravan of Death") (1920), dir.: Josef Stein (
* Die Teufelsanbeter ("The Devil Worshippers", informal) (1920), dir.: Ertugrul Moussin-Bey (
* Durch die Wüste ("Through the Wasteland") (1936), dir.: Johannes Alexander Hübler-Kahla (first sound movie)
* Die Sklavenkarawane (-) (1958), dir.:
Georg Marischka/ Ramón Torrado (first color movie)
* Der Löwe von Babylon (-) (1959), dir.: Johannes Kai (= Hanns Wiedmann) / Ramón Torrado
* Der Schatz im Silbersee ("The Treasure of Silver Lake") (1962), dir.: Dr.
* Winnetou 1. Teil ("Apache Gold") (1963), dir.: Dr. Harald Reinl
* Old Shatterhand ("Apaches Last Battle") (1964), dir.:
* Der Schut ("The Shoot" or "Yellow Devil") (1964), dir.:
* Winnetou 2. Teil ("Last of the Renegades") (1964), dir.: Dr. Harald Reinl
* Unter Geiern ("Frontier Hellcat") (1964), dir.:
* Der Schatz der Azteken ("The Treasure of the Aztecs") (1965), dir.: Robert Siodmak
* Die Pyramide des Sonnengottes ("Pyramid of the Sun God") (1965), dir.: Robert Siodmak
* Der Ölprinz ("Rampage at Apache Wells") (1965), dir.:
* Durchs wilde Kurdistan ("The Wild Men of Kurdistan") (1965), dir.:
Franz Joseph Gottlieb
* Winnetou 3. Teil ("The Desperado Trail") (1965), dir.: Dr. Harald Reinl
* Old Surehand 1. Teil ("Flaming Frontier") (1965), dir.: Alfred Vohrer
* Im Reiche des silbernen Löwen ("Fury of the Sabers") (1965), dir.: Franz Joseph Gottlieb
* Das Vermächtnis des Inka ("Legacy of the Incas") (1965), dir.: Georg Marischka
* Winnetou und das Halbblut Apanatschi ("Half-Breed") (1966), dir.: Harald Philipp
* Winnetou und sein Freund Old Firehand ("Thunder at the Border") (1966), dir: Alfred Vohrer
* Winnetou und Shatterhand im Tal der Toten ("Winnetou and Shatterhand in the Valley of Death") (1968), dir.: Dr. Harald Reinl
TV-series / -movies
* Mit Karl May im Orient - 1963, 6 episodes
* Kara Ben Nemsi Effendi - 1973/75, 26 episodes
* Mein Freund Winnetou ("My Friend Winnetou" - French: "Winnetou le Mescalero") - 1980, 14 episodes
* Das Buschgespenst - 1986, 2 episodes
* Präriejäger in Mexiko - 1988, 2 episodes
* Winnetous Rückkehr - 1998, 2 episodes
* Winnetoons German animated series - 26 episodes [http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinneToons]
* "Wilder Westen - Heißer Orient" - Karl-May-Filmmusik 1936 - 1968: Bear Family Records BCD 16413 HL - 8 CDs with 192-pages movie-book
* "Winnetou Melodie - Martin Böttcher dirigiert seine großen Karl-May-Erfolge" (1971/1991): Convoy (east west records, Time Warner, distributed by Karussel Musik & Video GmbH, 849 824-2
* Michael Petzel: "Karl May Filmbuch", Karl-May-Verlag,
Bamberg, ISBN 3-7802-0153-4
* [http://mondo-esoterica.net/links_pages/Karl%20May%20Westerns.html Mondo-Esoterica.net] - reviews (in English) of the 1960s Karl May films, and their DVD releases.
* [http://www.rialtofilm.de Rialto Film] The website of Rialto Film who produced many of the Karl May films.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Karl May — This article is about the German writer. For the Russian educator Karl May, see Karl May School. For the asteroid, see 15728 Karlmay. Karl Friedrich May Born 25 February 1842(1842 02 25) Ernstthal, later … Wikipedia
Karl Malden — Born Mladen George Sekulovich March 22, 1912(1912 03 22) Chicago, Illinois, U.S. Died July 1 … Wikipedia
Anna May Wong — Anna May Wong, 25. April 1939 Fotografie von Carl van Vechten, aus der Van Vechten Collection der Library of Congress Anna May Wong, eigentlich Wong Liu Tsong (chinesisch 黄柳霜 / 黃柳霜 Huáng Liǔshuāng; * 3. Januar … Deutsch Wikipedia
Winnetou — is a fictional Native American hero of several novels written by Karl May (*1842 + 1912, with about 200 million copies worldwide one of the best selling German writers of all time), in German including the sequel Winnetou I to Winnetou III .… … Wikipedia
Old Shatterhand — This article is about the fictional character. For a film based on the fictional character, see Old Shatterhand (film). Karl May as Old Shatterhand, 1896 Old Shatterhand is a fictional character in western novels by German writer Karl May (1842… … Wikipedia
Pierre Brice — (born 6 February 1929 in Brest, France), birth name Baron Pierre Louis de Bris , is a French actor, mainly known for his role as fictional Apache chief Winnetou in German Karl May movies. Life and films When he was 19, Brice enlisted in the… … Wikipedia
Hadschi Halef Omar — Ben Hadschi Abul Abbas Ibn Hadschi Dawud al Gossarah, literally hajji Halef Omar, son of hajji father of Abbas, son of hajji David al Gossarah, is one of Karl May s literary characters. Hajji means one who has performed the Muslim pilgrimage to… … Wikipedia
Marah Durimeh — by Sascha Schneider Marah Durimeh is a fictional character from Karl May s novels around Kara Ben Nemsi. Her real identity is Ruh i Kulyan (ghost of the cave). She is known as Es Sahira (the magician) to Kurds. Durimeh is a Kurdish princess and… … Wikipedia
Lex Barker — Infobox Actor bgcolour = silver name = Lex Barker birthname = Alexander Crichlow Barker Jr. birthdate = birth date|1919|5|8 location = Rye, New York deathdate = death date and age|1973|5|11|1919|5|8 deathplace = New York City, New York spouse =… … Wikipedia
Big Jim — was a popular line of action figure toys produced from 1972 through 1986 by Mattel for the North American and European markets. In Latin America was renamed Kid Acero, and for a short period of time, Mark the Strong in Europe. Originally inspired … Wikipedia