- Dynamic ridesharing
dynamic ridesharing (also known as instant ridesharing, ad-hoc ridesharing, real-time ridesharing or dynamic carpooling), denotes a special implementation of a carpooling service which enables the formation of
carpoolson very short notice. Typical for this type of carpooling is
* arrangement of one-time trips instead of recurrent appointments for commuters,
* the usage of mobile phones for placing carpooling requests and offers through a data service,
* automatic and instant matching of rides through a network service,
* The network service compensates the driver by an integrated billing system.
While there exist plenty of carpooling agencies for commuters, there is no large scale operation of an instant ridesharing service today. However, pilot projects have proven the technical feasibility of such service.
Advanced Concepts, only described in publications so far, explore options for
* position tracking of users using GPS enabled devices to avoid the necessity to manually enter the current position when requesting/offering a ride. This also allows the use of
fleet managementsystems for vehicle tracking and guiding, e.g. in case passenger pickup requires a short detour. Ideally, the navigation system integrates a ridesharing functionality.
* multihop matches: passengers change cars to get to their final destination
* [http://research.nokia.com/tr/NRC-TR-2007-003.pdf study on dynamic ridesharing concepts, prior art, pilots and service introduction options]
* [http://www.globaltelematics.com/pitf/FTA-dynamicRideSharingReview.pdf US dept. of transport funded study: ADVANCED PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS:THE STATE OF THE ART, UPDATE 2006]
* [http://www.are.admin.ch/dienstleistungen/00908/00912/index.html?lang=de&download=NHzLpZeg7t,lnp6I0NTU042l2Z6ln1acy4Zn4Z2qZpnO2Yuq2Z6gpJCDfH18gGym162epYbg2c_JjKbNoKSn6A-- Study of dynamic ride sharing from University of Zürich (Switzerland), August 2007 (German)]
* [http://dynamicridesharing.org A site (under construction as of May 2008) dedicated to all things related to dynamic ridesharing]
* [http://www.gizalift.com Liftshare Uk and Ireland] An example of a new UK liftsharing scheme.
* [http://www.piggybackmobile.com Piggyback] An implementation of dynamic ridesharing for mobile phones, winner of the first round of the [http://code.google.com/android/adc.html Google Android Challenge 1] and $100 000 in round 2.
* [http://www.thedailycommute.com.au The Daily Commute] Allows the creation of casual and long term carpools with the ability to contact matches through mobile phone text messages.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Real-time ridesharing — (also known as instant ridesharing, dynamic ridesharing, ad hoc ridesharing, or dynamic carpooling) is a service that arranges one time shared rides on very short notice. This type of carpooling generally makes use of three recent… … Wikipedia
Mitfahrzentrale — Über eine Mitfahrzentrale (MFZ) werden Mitfahrgelegenheiten (MFG) vermittelt. Es wird unterschieden zwischen den traditionellen, stationären Mitfahrzentralen, welche Gebühren für die Vermittlung verlangen und den Online Mitfahrzentralen, bei… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mfz — Über eine Mitfahrzentrale (MFZ) werden Mitfahrgelegenheiten (MFG) vermittelt. Es wird unterschieden zwischen den traditionellen, stationären Mitfahrzentralen, welche Gebühren für die Vermittlung verlangen und den Online Mitfahrzentralen, bei… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Carpool — Carpooling (also known as car sharing, ride sharing, lift sharing), is the shared use of a car by the driver and one or more passengers, usually for commuting. Carpooling arrangements and schemes involve varying degrees of formality and… … Wikipedia
flinc — flinc.org Motto Mitfahrvermittlung so einfach wie nie zuvor. Bes … Deutsch Wikipedia
ÖPNV-Sonderformen — „Taxibus“ der Regionalverkehr Köln GmbH am Busbahnhof Hellenthal Bus u … Deutsch Wikipedia
5-1-1 — 5 1 1, initially designated for road weather information, is a transportation and traffic information telephone hotline in some regions of the United States. Travelers can dial the three digit telephone number 5 1 1 on traditional landline… … Wikipedia
Maglev — JR Maglev at Yamanashi, Japan test track in November 2005 … Wikipedia
Bus station — Kamppi Centre is the largest underground bus station in Europe … Wikipedia