- Richmond County School for Girls
Infobox UK school
name = Richmond County School for Girls
size = 120px
dms = a
established = 1861
closed = 1974
founder = Founded as a Ladies' Establishment in Richmond
city = Richmond
gender = Girls
lower_age = 11
upper_age = 18
houses = Day Houses: 4
Richmond County School for Girls (sometimes referred to as "Richmond Grammar School for Girls") was a school in what is now the London Borough of Richmond, once noted for the fact that its female pupils played cricket, and from which a number of female cricketers emerged some of whom went on to play for
The school had its origins in the "Ladies' Establishment" established in 1861 on Kew Foot Road in Richmond,
Surrey(although now in London.Norman Radley, "Borough Secondary Schools Richmond Upon Thames Ex Surrey Side", (1991)] In 1865 the school moved to "Matson House" in the Marshgate area of Richmond and thus became Matson College. Matson College was referred to as a college "For Gentlemen's Daughters". [Hiscoke and son, (1868), "Richmond notes, March 1863-September 1868", page 166] .
In 1886 the Church Schools' Company became the owners and the school became Richmond High School for Girls. After the 1902 Education Act, the responsibility for the school passed to
Surrey County Councilin conjunction with Richmond Borough Council, Richmond still being in Surreyat that point in time. A new school building was then constructed on a road named Parkshot in Richmond and this was opened in 1909 as Richmond County School for Girls.
United KingdomGovernment passed the Education Act 1944a Tripartite Systemwas established dividing Secondary schools into three categories, Grammar schools, Technical schools and Modern Schools. The grammar school was deemed the place of education for the academically gifted (as determined by the eleven plusexam) and Richmond County School for Girls became a grammar school. This led to the colloquialname of Richmond Grammar School for Girls.
The buildings were used almost immediately by lending and reference service. In January 1978, the building was closed for just over 3 months following a severe outbreak of dry rot. [http://www.richmond.gov.uk/local_history_richmond_library.pdf] The Parkshot site is now occupied by Richmond Adult Community College. Amongst its facilities are the Queen Charlotte Hall and Studio Theatre. The Richmond Business School is also within the grounds of the site. The site is therefore still true to its educational heritage. [ [http://www.stmgrts.org.uk/directory/school/200603020814 St Margarets Community website] ]
All girls were members of one of four day houses, each house being named after an animal that had some connection with Richmond, be that its heraldry or its history:
The school was unusual in its promotion of
cricketas the school sport for the girls. A number of girls went on to play at a senior level and some played for their country including Shirley Driscolland Doreen Colewho both played cricket for England. The school was also visited by the legendary Rachael Heyhoe-Flint.
Janet Ellis- Television presenter (presented Blue Peter), and mother of Sophie Ellis-Bextor
Shirley Driscoll- played cricket for England
Doreen Cole- played cricket for England
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.