No. 417 Squadron RCAF


No. 417 Squadron RCAF

Infobox Military Unit
unit_name= 417 "City of Windsor" Squadron


caption=
start_date= June, 1941
country=
allegiance=
branch=
type=
role= Rescue
size=
command_structure= 4 Wing
garrison= CFB Cold Lake
garrison_label=
equipment=
equipment_label=
nickname=
patron=
motto= SUPPORTING LIBERTY AND JUSTICE
colors=
colors_label=
march=
mascot=
battles=
anniversaries=
decorations=
battle_honours= Defence of Britain 1942, Egypt and Libya 1942-43, North Africa 1943, Sicily 1943, Italy 1943-45, Salerno, Ansio and Nettuno, Gustaff Line, Gothic Line
current_commander=
current_commander_label=
ceremonial_chief=
ceremonial_chief_label=
colonel_of_the_regiment=
colonel_of_the_regiment_label=
notable_commanders=
identification_symbol= Argent in front of a palm tree Or eradicated a sword Argent and fasces Gules in saltire
identification_symbol_label=
identification_symbol_2=
identification_symbol_2_label=
aircraft_attack=
aircraft_bomber=
aircraft_electronic=
aircraft_fighter=
aircraft_interceptor=
aircraft_recon=
aircraft_patrol=
aircraft_trainer=
aircraft_transport= CH-146 Griffon

No. 417 (City of Windsor) Squadron is an Air Force unit with the Canadian Forces. Based at CFB Cold Lake it provides helicopter support to the base operations. Since 1994, it has also provided Search and Rescue.

History

417 Squadron was a Royal Canadian Air Force squadron formed in England on 27 November, 1941. It was equipped with the Hurricane and later the Spitfire. It was initially deployed in Egypt and followed the allied advance through the western desert. With the defeat of axis forces in North Africa, the squadron followed the advance through Italy. It disbanded in Italy on July 1, 1945.

The squadron reactivated in Canada on June 1,1947 at Rivers, Manitoba. It was equipped with the Mustang for army close support training until August 1, 1948.

Reformed as a part of the Canadian Forces in 1970 it operated as an operational training squadron on the CF-104 Starfighter at CFB Cold Lake. The squadron disbanded in 1983 with the retirement of the CF-104 fleet.

On April 1, 1993 417 Combat Support squadron was formed from CFB Cold Lake Base Flight plus aircraft servicing and maintenance elements of the Wing Maintenance organization. The squadron continued Base Flight's operations with ten CT-133 Silver Stars and three CH-118 Iroquois. When Base Rescue Moose Jaw was disbanded in 1993, 417 Squadron gained two of their CH-118s, to operate a total of five.

In July 1995 417 Squadron received three CH-146 Griffon helicopters and the five CH-118s were retired. The CT-133 was retired in 2001. [cite web |url = http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/equip/historical/silverstarlst_e.asp |title = CT-133 Silver Star |date = June 28, 2007 |author = Air Force Public Affairs/Department of National Defence |accessdate = 2007-10-12 ]


=

Badges

References

External links

* [http://www.airforce.forces.ca/hist/417sqn_e.asp Canada's Air Force: 417 "City of Windsor" Combat Support Squadron]


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.