200px Type Train services Regions South East Queensland Zones 1-23 Hubs Central, Roma Street, Bowen Hills stations Depots Mayne, Nambour, Caboolture, Petrie, Shorncliffe, Ipswich, Manly, Beenleigh, Robina Late Night services Yes, see timetables Website queenslandrail.com.au
Citytrain is the brand name of urban, suburban and inter-urban electric passenger railway services in South East Queensland, Australia. Its network, centering in Brisbane, the state capital of Queensland, is approximately 382 km (237 mi) in route length. Corporately, Citytrain is a part of Queensland Rail
The first railway in Queensland did not actually run to Brisbane, but ran from Ipswich to Grandchester. Opened in July 1865, the line into Brisbane was not completed until the opening of the Albert Bridge in July 1875.
A start on electrification of the suburban network was approved in 1950 but a change of state government in 1957 saw the scheme abandoned in 1959. It was not until the 1970s that electrification was again brought up, with contracts let in 1975. The first part of the new electric system, the Darra - Ferny Grove line, was opened to the public on November 17, 1979. The network was completed by 1988, with a number of extensions made since and additional rolling stock purchased. Services were initially operated under the Queensland Rail brand, with the Citytrain name established in the 1990s.
Services that goes from Brisbane to surrounding shires. All stops services operates on all lines during off-peak except Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast lines. Most lines have express services during peak hours except Doomben line.
Services that go to Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast from Brisbane.
RailBus is bus services supplementing or replacing low patronage railway lines at certain times of the day.
Citytrain operates ten suburban lines and three interurban lines. Centering in the Brisbane City, it extends as far as Gympie in the north, Varsity Lakes in the south, Rosewood in the west, and Cleveland in the east to Moreton Bay.
- Electric Multiple Units (EMU) - 87 in service (88 built)
- Suburban Multiple Units (SMU)
- Interurban Multiple Units (IMU)
- InterCity Express (ICE) - 8 in service (8 built)
All trains are electric multiple units with a driver cabin at both ends, with the exceptions of EM60 through to EM79 having only one cab at one end. All are configured with three cars, except for the ICE sets that are usually configured with four, five or six cars.
Due to increasing demands, suburban trains may be scheduled on interurban lines. The Sunshine Coast line frequently suffers the use of suburban rolling stock on some services, sometimes substituting for a ICE or IMU set. The Gold Coast line, predominately serviced by IMU trains, also may have some services operated by suburban sets.
While using suburban trains on interurban lines increases operational flexibility, the trains are not provided with the creature comforts of the IMU or ICE sets, such as toilets or high-backed seats.
This predicament will be remedied somewhat with an order of 16 new interurban and eight new suburban sets being progressively delivered since early 2007. On top of this, and additional 20 three-car sets (14 SMU sets and six IMU sets), and order for an additional 58 three-car sets was made in the Queensland budget for 2008–09.
Free Wi-Fi Internet Access will be progressively installed in all of the new 64 Trains, starting October 2011.
This move will also Increase the Safety Level on the new Trains, as Centre Control and Police can view up to the second video images, to deal with Crimes or Emergencies that occur.
If the Roll out goes to plan, then Free Wi-Fi Internet Access will be installed in Older Trains.
The Wi-Fi usage is limited to 20MB.
- ^ QR Network Access (22 March 2002) (PDF). Brisbane Metropolitan System Information Pack. QR Limited. http://www.networkaccess.qr.com.au/Images/Network_System_Information_tcm10-2862.pdf. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- ^ "QR Corporate - QR History - Beginnings". www.corporate.qr.com.au. http://www.corporate.qr.com.au/history/beginnings/beginnings.asp. Retrieved 2008-08-16.
- ^ "QR Corporate - QR History - Building to the bush". www.corporate.qr.com.au. http://www.corporate.qr.com.au/history/building_bush/building_bush.asp. Retrieved 2008-08-16.
- ^ Geoffrey B. Churchman (1995). Railway Electrification in Australia and New Zealand. IPL Books. p. 131. ISBN 0 646 06893 8.
- ^ Geoffrey B. Churchman (1995). Railway Electrification in Australia and New Zealand. IPL Books. p. 132. ISBN 0 646 06893 8.
- ^ "QR Corporate - Modern competitive railway". www.corporate.qr.com.au. http://www.corporate.qr.com.au/history/ongoing_investment/ongoing_investment.asp. Retrieved 2008-08-16.
- ^ Brisbane Rail Electrification Stages 1 and 2 Armstrong, J Australian Railway Historical Society Bulletin, August, 1982 pp165-192
- ^ "QR Citytrain Network Map". http://www.citytrain.com.au/stations/citytrain_maps/citytrain_maps.asp. Retrieved 25 March 2010.
- ^ "Citytrain fleet - Electric Mulitple Unit". http://www.citytrain.com.au/about/fleet/emu/emu.asp. Retrieved 25 March 2010.
- ^ "Citytrain fleet - Suburban Multiple Unit 200 Series". http://www.citytrain.com.au/about/fleet/smu/smu200.asp. Retrieved 25 March 2010.
- ^ "Citytrain fleet - Suburban Multiple Unit 220 Series". http://www.citytrain.com.au/about/fleet/smu/smu220.asp. Retrieved 25 March 2010.
- ^ "Citytrain fleet - Suburban Multiple Unit 260 Series". http://www.citytrain.com.au/about/fleet/smu/smu260.asp. Retrieved 25 March 2010.
- ^ "Citytrain fleet - Interurban Multiple Unit 100 Series". http://www.citytrain.com.au/about/fleet/imu/imu100.asp. Retrieved 25 March 2010.
- ^ "Citytrain fleet - Interurban Multiple Unit 120 Series". http://www.citytrain.com.au/about/fleet/imu/imu120.asp. Retrieved 25 March 2010.
- ^ "Citytrain fleet - Interurban Multiple Units 160 Series". http://www.citytrain.com.au/about/fleet/imu/imu160.asp. Retrieved 25 March 2010.
- ^ "Citytrain fleet - InterCity Express". http://www.citytrain.com.au/about/fleet/ice/ice.asp. Retrieved 25 March 2010.
- ^ "Transport Priority in State Budget 2008-09" (PDF). SEQIPRail. QLD Treasury Department. 3 June 2008. http://www.budget.qld.gov.au/media-releases/2008-09/transport-priority-state-budget-2008-09.pdf. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
Queensland Rail's city rail lines Northern Southern Inner city
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Citytrain — Lugar Ubicación Brisbane, Australia Descripción Tipo Tren de cercanías … Wikipedia Español
InterCity Express (Citytrain) — Infobox EMU name = Intercity Express imagesize = 300px caption = background = #87CEEB Manufacturer = ABB/Walkers Operator = QR Citytrain Formation = 4 6 cars Built = 20 carriages (151 158) 8x 2 carriage power pairs, 4x trailer carriages… … Wikipedia
Suburban Multiple Unit (200 Series) (Citytrain) — Walkers ABB Suburban Multiple Units (200 Series) are a model of electric multiple unit used by Citytrain in South East Queensland Australia. HistoryThe SMU 200 series EMU were originally introduced in 1994 due to a rollingstock shortage after an… … Wikipedia
Electric Multiple Unit (Citytrain) — Walkers ABB Electric Multiple Units were the first type of electric multiple unit commuter trains used by QR Citytrain in South East Queensland, Australia. HistoryThese were the first EMUs in Queensland, entering revenue service when the Brisbane … Wikipedia
Interurban Multiple Unit (100/120 Series) (Citytrain) — Infobox EMU name = Interurban Multiple Unit (100/120 series) imagesize = 300px caption = background = #87CEEB Manufacturer = ADtranz/Walkers Operator = QR Citytrain Formation = 3 6 cars Built = 100 110 (10x 100 series) 121 124 (4x 120 series)… … Wikipedia
Suburban Multiple Unit (220 Series) (Citytrain) — Walkers AdTranz Suburban Multiple Units (220 Series) are a model of electric multiple unit used by QR Citytrain in South East Queensland, Australia. HistoryThe SMU220s were introduced into service in 1999 to cater for service increases on… … Wikipedia
Interurban Multiple Unit (160 Series) (Citytrain) — Infobox EMU name = Interurban Multiple Unit (160 series) imagesize = 300px caption = background = #87CEEB Manufacturer = EDI/Bombardier Operator = QR Citytrain Formation = 3 6 cars Built = 161 176 LinesServed = Gold Coast Line, Airport Line,… … Wikipedia
Suburban Multiple Unit (260 Series) (Citytrain) — EDI Bombardier Suburban Multiple Units (260 Series) are a model of electric multiple unit currently being built for Citytrain in South East Queensland, Australia. HistoryQR ordered 72 new carriages in 2005, 24 of which form the 8 three car SMUs… … Wikipedia
Roma Street railway station, Brisbane — Citytrain Station station name=Roma Street region=Brisbane Central servicearea1=Airport OB1=Central servicearea2=Beenleigh IB2=Central OB2=South Brisbane servicearea3=Caboolture OB3=Central servicearea4=Cleveland IB4=Central OB4=South Brisbane… … Wikipedia
Indooroopilly railway station, Brisbane — Citytrain Station station name=Indooroopilly region=Brisbane West servicearea1=Ipswich IB1=Taringa OB1=Chelmer street=Coonan Street suburb=Indooroopilly zone=2 distance=7.38 platforms=4 platform arch=2 island access=underpass trainconnect=no… … Wikipedia