- John Bogle
John Clifton "Jack" Bogle (born May 8, 1929) is the founder and retired CEO of The Vanguard Group. He is known for his 1999 book Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor, which became a bestseller and is considered a classic.
Early life and education
Bogle was born in in Verona, New Jersey. His family was affected by The Great Depression. He attended Blair Academy on a full scholarship, earned his undergraduate degree from Princeton University in 1951, and attended evening and weekend classes at the University of Pennsylvania.
Upon graduation he went to work for Walter L. Morgan at Wellington Management Company. After successfully climbing through the ranks, he was named chairman of Wellington but was later fired for an "extremely unwise" merger that he approved, a poor decision that he considers his biggest mistake, stating "The great thing about that mistake, which was shameful and inexcusable and a reflection of immaturity and confidence beyond what the facts justified, was that I learned a lot".
Bogle then founded The Vanguard Group in 1974. Under his leadership, the company grew to be the second largest mutual fund company in the world. Influenced by the works of Eugene Fama, Burton Malkiel, and Paul Samuelson, Mr. Bogle founded the Vanguard 500 Index Fund in 1975 as the first index mutual fund available to the general public. He continues to be active in The Vanguard Group.
Bogle is a member of the board of trustees at Blair Academy. He is also an advisory board member of the Millstein Center for Corporate Governance and Performance at the Yale School of Management. Bogle received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Princeton University in 2005.
Bogle also currently serves on the Board of Trustees of the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia, a museum dedicated to the U.S. Constitution. He had previously served as Chairman of the Board from 1999 through 2007. He was named Chairman Emeritus in January 2007, when President George H.W. Bush was named Chairman.
Bogle is famous for his insistence, in numerous media appearances and in writing, on the superiority of index funds over traditional actively-managed mutual funds. He believes that it is folly to attempt to pick actively managed mutual funds and expect their performance to beat a well-run index fund over a long period of time.
- Select low-cost index funds
- Consider carefully the added costs of advice
- Do not overrate past fund performance
- Use past performance to determine consistency and risk
- Beware of stars (as in, star mutual fund managers)
- Beware of asset size
- Don't own too many funds
- Buy your fund portfolio - and hold it
Awards and distinctions
- Named one of the investment industry's four "Giants of the 20th Century" by Fortune magazine in 1999.
- Awarded the Woodrow Wilson Award from Princeton University for "distinguished achievement in the Nation's service" (1999).
- Named one of the "world's 100 most powerful and influential people" by TIME magazine in 2004.
- Institutional Investor's Lifetime Achievement Award (2004).
Bogle and his wife Eve have six children and are grandparents. They reside in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania.
- Bogle on Mutual Funds: New Perspectives for the Intelligent Investor (McGraw-Hill, 1993), ISBN 1-55623-860-6
- Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor (John Wiley & Sons, 1999), ISBN 0-471-39228-6
- John Bogle on Investing: The First 50 Years (McGraw-Hill, 2000), ISBN 0-07-136438-2
- Character Counts: The Creation and Building of The Vanguard Group (McGraw-Hill, 2002) ISBN 0-07-139115-0
- The Battle for the Soul of Capitalism (Yale University Press, 2005), ISBN 0-300-10990-3
- The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns (John Wiley & Sons, 2007), ISBN 978-0-470-10210-7
- Enough : True Measures of Money, Business, and Life (John Wiley & Sons, 2008), ISBN 978-0470398517
- Common Sense on Mutual Funds: Fully Updated 10th Anniversary Edition (John Wiley & Sons, 2009), ISBN 0-470-13813-0
- Don't Count on it!: Reflections on Investment Illusions, Capitalism, "Mutual" Funds, Indexing, Entrepreneurship, Idealism, and Heroes (John Wiley & Sons, 2010) ISBN 978-0-470-64396-9
- ^ David Brancaccio (October 10, 2003). "John Bogle". NOW on PBS. http://www.pbs.org/now/politics/bogle.html.
- ^ Scott Burns (March 13, 2010). "A visit with John Bogle". Seattle Times. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2011248667_burns14.html.
- ^ Slater, Robert. John Bogle and the Vanguard experiment : One Man's Quest to Transform the Mutual Fund Industry. Chicago: Irwin Professional Pub., 1997. (ISBN 0786305592)
- ^ Boyle, Matthew (December 17, 2007). "Fortune Magazine interview". CNN. http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/12/24/101939724/index.htm?postversion=2007121711. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- ^ Amy Barrett and Jeffrey M. Laderman (January 7, 1999). "That's Why They Call It Vanguard". Business Week. http://www.businessweek.com/1999/03/b3612086.htm.
- ^ Sigma Investing. Review of Common Sense on Mutual Funds.
- ^ TIME 100 Most Influential People, 2004
- ^ Biography at Vanguard.com
- ^ World Wide Speakers Group - John Bogle
- John C. Bogle Papers at the Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library, Princeton University
- Official website
- Biography at Bogle Financial Markets Research Center
- Remarks before the Harvard Club of Boston, January 14, 2003
- Venture Voice podcast interview, February 23, 2006
- "Books of Our Time" interview with John Bogle, January 2007
- Podcast interview with Bogle Bogle discusses investing on EconTalk
- Video: Speech at Pepperdine University
- Investopedia Profile
- Biography of Bogle
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
John Bogle — John Clifton Bogle (* 8. Mai 1929 in Verona, New Jersey) ist ein US amerikanischer Unternehmer und Autor wirtschaftswissenschaftlicher Bücher zum Thema Investments. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Werdegang 2 Werke 3 Einzelnachweise … Deutsch Wikipedia
John Bogle — The founder of The Vanguard Group, and a major figure in the index investing community. John Bogle was the first person to offer an index fund to retail customers. Bogle s flagship Vanguard 500 Fund became the world’s largest mutual fund by … Investment dictionary
Bogle (surname) — Bogle is a surname, and may refer to:* Andrew Cathcart Bogle * Eric Bogle * George Bogle (Detroit preacher) * George Bogle (diplomat) * George Bogle of Daldowie * John Bogle * Mike Bogle * Paul Bogle * Phil Bogle * Robert Bogle … Wikipedia
Bogle — ist der Familienname folgender Personen: Eric Bogle (* 1944), schottisch australischer Sänger, Liedermacher und Friedensaktivist John Bogle (* 1929), US amerikanischer Investmentmanager und wirtschaftswissenschaftlicher Autor Paul Bogle,… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bogle (dancer) — Bogle (22 August 1964 – 20 January 2005), born Gerald Levy, and also known as Bogle Dancer, Mr. Bogle, Father Bogle, and Mr. Wacky, was a Jamaican dancehall star. His stage name was a reference to Jamaican National Hero Paul Bogle. Bogle was… … Wikipedia
John J. Brennan — John J. Jack Brennan (born 1954) has served as Chairman of The Vanguard Group since 1996, and was Vanguard CEO from 1996 until being succeeded by William McNabb in 2008 [ [https://personal.vanguard.com/us/VanguardViewsArticlePublic?ArticleJSP=/fre… … Wikipedia
John Galt (novelista) — John Galt (2 de mayo de 1779 – 11 de abril de 1839) fue un escritor escocés. Biografía John Galt. National Gallery de Londres. Nació en Irvine, Ayrshire, hijo de un capitán naval. Cuando su familia fue a Malden en 1789, se hizo aprendiz de o … Wikipedia Español
John La Rose — Infobox Person name = John La Rose image size = caption = birth date = birth date|1927|12|27|df=y birth place = Trinidad death date = death date and age|2006|2|28|1927|12|27|df=y death place = United Kingdom occupation = Political and cultural… … Wikipedia
John Galt (novelist) — Infobox Writer name = John Galt imagesize = caption = pseudonym = birthname = birthdate = Birth date|1779|May|2 birthplace = Irvine, North Ayrshire, Scotland deathdate = death date and age|1839|4|11|1779|5|2 deathplace = Greenock, Scotland… … Wikipedia
George Bogle — Le Panchen Lama recevant George Bogle au Tashilhunpo, peinture de Tilly Kettle, 1775. Purangir serait figuré au centre George Bogle (né le 26 novembre 1746 à Glasgow … Wikipédia en Français