- 2005 Zarand earthquake
title=2005 Zarand earthquake
February 22, 2005
magnitude = 6.4 Mw
countries affected = IRN
casualties = ~612 dead, 990 injured
2005 Zarand earthquake hit the city of Zarand and several villages in Kerman province of
Iranon February 22, 2005. The earthquakehappened at 5:55 local time (2:25 UTC) and was measured at 6.4 on the Richter scale. The quake lasted for 11 seconds and at least 61 aftershocks were reported [http://www.isna.ir/Main/NewsView.aspx?ID=News-499479] ranging in magnitude between 3.3 and 4.8. Zarand is located 740km southeast of Tehran.
Damage and casualties
Though official reports by Iranian authorities indicate 612 dead and 990 injured, ISNA reports 790 dead and 1,423 injured according to officials in
Kerman University of Medical Sciences[http://www.isna.ir/Main/NewsView.aspx?ID=News-497356] . Four villages, each having around 1,000 inhabitants, were reported completely destroyed, and 30% to 70% of buildings in more than 40 villages were reported damaged.
It is estimated that the population of the affected area exceeds 30,000. A great portion of population of several villages are severely affected because of poor condition of buildings. The epicenter of the quake was in a mountainous and sparsely inhabited area. It is believed that the death toll could have been much higher if the quake had stricken a more densely-populated area like
According to governor of Kerman province [http://www.isna.ir/Main/NewsView.aspx?ID=News-496796] and an independent investigation carried out by ISNA [http://www.isna.ir/Main/NewsView.aspx?ID=News-498202] the following cities and villages are affected::
The region of Zarand is close to an active fault, known as the "Kuhbanan" fault [http://www.ngdir.ir/States/StateComment.asp?PStateCode=13&PID=161] in the north east of the city. Its trend is northwest-southeast and its length is 160km.
Zarand has been hit by several quakes in the last 70 years, with the oldest recorded one going back to
December 21, 1977, the area was hit by a 6.2-magnitude earthquake leaving 521 dead and 3 villages completely destroyed.On December 26, 2003, another devastating earthquake happened in Bam, 200km southwest of Zarand, which is in the same province.
2003 Bam earthquake
2004 Indian Ocean earthquake
International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescentbulletins on Zarand earthquake (PDF files): [http://www.ifrc.org/docs/appeals/rpts05/iranearth01-2005.pdf No.1] , [http://www.ifrc.org/cgi/pdf_appeals.pl?rpts05/IRQK2.pdf No.2] , [http://www.ifrc.org/cgi/pdf_appeals.pl?rpts05/IRQK3.pdf No.3] , and [http://www.ifrc.org/cgi/pdf_appeals.pl?rpts05/IRQK4.pdf No.4] .
* [http://www.disaster-management.net/iran_di.htm List of significant earthquakes in Iran since 1972] .
* [http://uk.multimap.com/wi/13159.htm Map of Zarand] on [http://uk.multimap.com multimap.com] .
* [http://www.ngdir.ir/Earthquake/CurrentEarthquake.asp Online database of earthquakes in Iran] on web site of [http://www.ngdir.ir/ National Geoscience Database of Iran] .
* [http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/eqinthenews/2005/usuvae/#details U.S. Geological Survey] (USGS)
* [http://www.iiees.ac.ir/English/bank/Zarand/zarand_e.html International Institute of Earthquake Engineering and Seismology (IIEES)]
* [http://www.bhrc.gov.ir/Bhrc/D-StGrMo/SHABAKEH/accelerograms/earthquake/2005/zarand/zarand.htm Iran Strong Motion Network(ISMN)]
*# [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4286129.stm Hundreds killed in Iranian quake]
*# [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4288709.stm Race to reach Iran quake victims]
*# [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4289647.stm Rain slows Iran quake aid effort]
*# [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4291009.stm 'No-one knew what to do']
* AFP: [http://www.afp.com/english/news/stories/050223171947.n26ookgi.html Rescuers pull bodies from quake-hit Iran villages as toll tops 530] .
Sharghnewspaper (in Persian):
*# [http://www.sharghnewspaper.com/831205/html/index.htm More than 450 victims of Zarand earthquake] .
*# [http://www.sharghnewspaper.com/831206/html/disast.htm#s190485 700 killed, 1,200 injured] .
* ISNA photo reports on Zarand earthquake: [http://www.isna.ir/Main/NewsView.aspx?ID=News-496797 1] , [http://www.isna.ir/Main/NewsView.aspx?ID=News-496840 2] , [http://www.isna.ir/Main/NewsView.aspx?ID=News-496866 3] , [http://www.isna.ir/Main/NewsView.aspx?ID=News-497073 4] , [http://www.isna.ir/Main/NewsView.aspx?ID=News-497075 5] , [http://www.isna.ir/Main/NewsView.aspx?ID=News-497454 6] , [http://www.isna.ir/Main/NewsView.aspx?ID=News-497455 7] , [http://www.isna.ir/Main/NewsView.aspx?ID=News-497457 8] , [http://www.isna.ir/Main/NewsView.aspx?ID=News-497459 9] , [http://www.isna.ir/Main/NewsView.aspx?ID=News-497460 10] and [http://www.isna.ir/Main/NewsView.aspx?ID=News-497479 11] .
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
2005 Kashmir earthquake — Date October 8, 2005 (2005 10 08) Magnitude 7.6 Mw Depth … Wikipedia
Zarand, Iran — Infobox Settlement official name = PAGENAME native name = imagesize = image caption = image map caption = pushpin pushpin label position =bottom pushpin mapsize = 300 pushpin map caption =Location in Iran subdivision type = Country subdivision… … Wikipedia
2005 — Year 2005 (MMV) was a common year starting on Saturday (link displays full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar.2005 was designated as: *The Year of the Volunteer by the UK government. *The World Year of Physics. *The International Year of the… … Wikipedia
Zarand (Stadt) — Zarand … Deutsch Wikipedia
2005 Hindu Kush earthquake — Date December 12, 2005 (2005 12 12) Magnitude 6.7 Mw Depth 225 kilometres (140 mi) Epicenter … Wikipedia
2005 in Iran — Years: 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 20092005 (MMV) was a common year starting on Saturday of the Gregorian calendar.Events =January= =February= * February 14 Around 59 people were killed and 200 injured in a fire at a mosque in… … Wikipedia
February 22, 2005 — February 22 2005* Images relayed by the European space probe, Mars Express, reveal the existence of a sea of ice close to the equator of Mars. The discovery is considered to increase the likelihood of life currently existing on the planet.… … Wikipedia
Dates of 2005 — ▪ 2006 January This is a unique case of a people under occupation being asked to hold free and fair elections when they themselves are not free.… It s an important internal test, and I think it s a turning point. Palestinian legislator Hanan… … Universalium
Kermān Province — Infobox Iran Province province name = Kermān ostan name = كرمان loc capital = Kerman latd = 30.2907 longd = 57.0679 area = 180,836 pop = 2,432,927 pop year = 2005 pop density = 13.5 sub provinces = 14 languages= Persian, Baluchi, Turkic dialects… … Wikipedia
Peak ground acceleration — (PGA) is a measure of earthquake acceleration on the ground and an important input parameter for earthquake engineering, also known as the design basis earthquake ground motion (DBEGM) Unlike the Richter and moment magnitude scales, it is not… … Wikipedia