- Waldorf-Astoria Hotel and Residence Tower
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel & Residence Tower
Rendering of the proposed building, standing adjacent to the existing NBC Tower
General information Status Never built Type Residential/Commercial Location Chicago, Illinois Estimated completion 2012 Height Antenna spire 1,265 ft (386 m) Roof 1,200 ft (370 m) Technical details Floor count 107 Design and construction Architect DeStefano & Partners Developer The Prime Group
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel and Residence Tower Chicago, is a canceled hotel and condominium skyscraper that would have been 1,265 feet (386 m) tall. The Prime Group was in charge of the project which was purposed at a cost of $610 million. The building would have been located one block from the Chicago River, and north of the Sheraton Chicago in the Streeterville neighborhood of the Near North Side community area of Chicago. The building's developers, the Fordham Company, were the initial developers of the now cancelled Chicago Spire. 
The building would have been the third tallest building in Chicago since only the Willis Tower and Trump International Hotel and Tower are taller than 1,200 feet (366 m). It would have been among the tallest buildings in the world, since fewer than 15 buildings in the world currently exceed 1,200 feet (366 m).
Had it been completed, the proposed hotel portion of the building would have been managed by The Waldorf=Astoria Collection, a Hilton Hotels Corporation brand, as part of a larger strategy of limited expansion of its legendary Manhattan name. Within this plan, other Waldorf-Astorias are planned or under construction in Beverly Hills, California, Orlando, Florida and Montreal, Quebec . This management agreement is currently a verbal commitment.
The plans included a 325-room hotel and 300 luxury condominiums. The building, which would have been 107 stories, was designed to salute the Chicago Spire, but not imitate it. It had a traditional square base and taper to a scalpel shaped top. The plan was to aim for a three year construction period starting in 2009 with sales targeted at $800/square foot instead of the $1200 range that the Spire had targeted. The building was designed to adhere to current trend in Chicago architecture that taller thin buildings are favored to shorter buildings providing the same square footage because the slender buildings block fewer views.
The Chicago Plan Commission endorsed the plans for the building on June 19, 2008. It still faces several hurdles including approval by the full city council and finding suitable financial backing. There are also plans for a nearby 48-story rental building on the same 2.2-acre (8,903 m2) block. The building was planned to be shown to the Streeterville Organization of Active Residents, the Streeterville area's leading civic group during the first week of October.
- ^ a b c d e f Forsyth, Jennifer S. (2007-10-01). "Developer Tries Comeback With New Chicago Waldorf". The Wall Street Journal. Daily Herald. http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=48677. Retrieved 2008-05-28.
- ^ a b c "CHICAGO: Waldorf-Astoria - 1,265' Official / 1,200' Roof - 107 floors". Skyscraperpage.com. Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=3079513. Retrieved 2007-09-28.
- ^ "Waldorf Astoria". http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=65855.
- ^ a b c d e f Roeder, David (2007-09-28). "A kid bro in Spire's shadow". Chicago Sun-Times (Sun-Times News Group). http://www.suntimes.com/business/578552,CST-FIN-build28.article. Retrieved 2007-10-02.
- ^ http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/next/archives/2010/02/calatrava_dances_onto_a_new_stage.html
- ^ "Waldorf Astoria is coming to Montreal". http://www.colliersmn.com/prod/cclod.nsf/city/D8774EDD78E6602E85257483001528C4.
- ^ "Waldorf-Astoria Proposed Near Spire". BestChicagoCondos.com. 2007-09-28. http://www.bestchicagocondos.com/blog/waldorf-astoria-proposed-near-spire/. Retrieved 2007-10-02.
- ^ Baeb, Eddie (2007-07-27). "Reschke to sell some retail space to Talbott Hotel". ChicagoBusiness. Crain Communications, Inc.. http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=25825&bt=Michael+Reschke&arc=n&searchType=phrase. Retrieved 2007-09-28.
- ^ Baeb, Eddie (2007-08-10). "Reschke refinances Roanoke Building ahead of renovation". ChicagoBusiness. Crain Communications, Inc.. http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=25983&bt=Michael+Reschke&arc=n&searchType=phrase. Retrieved 2007-09-28.
Hotels in Chicago375 East Wacker Drive · Allerton Hotel · Aqua · Blackstone Hotel · Carbide & Carbon Building · Chicago Beach Hotel · Doubletree Hotel Chicago Magnificent Mile · Drake Hotel · Elysian · Four Seasons Hotel · Hilton Chicago · Hyatt Regency Chicago · InterContinental Chicago · La Salle Hotel (defunct) · The Palmer House Hilton · Park Hyatt Chicago · Ritz-Carlton Chicago · Shoreland Hotel · Silversmith Hotel · Sisson Hotel · Sofitel Chicago Water Tower · Tokyo Hotel · Trump International Hotel and Tower · Waldorf-Astoria Hotel and Residence Tower · Waterview Tower Future Chicago skyscrapers Under construction Proposed or approved Cancelled or distressedSee also: Chicago Skyscrapers
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel — For other uses, see Waldorf Astoria (disambiguation). Waldorf Astoria … Wikipedia
The Waldorf-Astoria Hotel — Infobox hotel hotel name = The Waldorf Astoria Hotel image width = 250 caption = The hotel s name with a single hyphen is engraved and gilded over the entrance. location = 301 Park Avenue New York, New York coordinates = opening date = 1893… … Wikipedia
Tower Verre — as seen from the street. General information Status Approved Type … Wikipedia
Hotel — A hotel is an establishment that provides paid lodging, usually on a short term basis. The provision of basic accommodation, in times past, consisting only of a room with a bed, a cupboard, a small table and a washstand has largely been replaced… … Wikipedia
Dynamic Tower — General information Type Hotel Residential Office  Location Dubai, United Arab Emirates Cost USD 330 million … Wikipedia
Dubai Beachfront Hotel — General information Type Hotel, and residential Location Dubai, United Arab Emirates Height Antenna spire 302 m (991 ft) … Wikipedia
Dubai City Tower — مدينة دبي للبرج General information Status Vision Type Mixed use Location … Wikipedia
Meraas Tower — General information Status Cancelled  Location Jumeirah Garden City, Dubai. Construction started 2009 … Wikipedia
Mile-High Tower — Mile High Tower, или «башня высотой в милю» одно из высочайший зданий в мире, строительство которого планируется в городе Джидде, Саудовская Аравия. Название башни очень просто «башня высотой в милю», а высота башни должна согласно… … Википедия
Kingdom Tower — Эта статья или часть статьи содержит информацию об ожидаемых событиях. Здесь описываются события, которые ещё не произошли … Википедия