- The Discworld Companion
The Discworld Companion
Cover of the first edition
Author(s) Terry Pratchett and Stephen Briggs Illustrator Stephen Briggs Cover artist Josh Kirby Country Great Britain Language English Series Discworld Publisher Gollancz Publication date 1994 Media type Print (Hardcover and Paperback) Pages 288 pp ISBN 0-575-05764-5
The book compiles a precise (and often quoted directly from the books concerned) definition of words, lives of historical people, geography of places and events that have appeared in at least one Discworld novel, map, diary, non-fiction book and the short stories "Troll Bridge", "Theatre of Cruelty", and "The Sea and Little Fishes".
The first edition was published in 1994 and listed information from all the novels up to Soul Music, as well as the first two short stories.
The second edition was published in 1997, and adds information up to Maskerade.
The third edition named The New Discworld Companion was published in 2003. It includes articles about books up to Night Watch, as well as Discworld related books and short stories. The book also contains a 10-page interview with Pratchett titled Discworld Quo Vadis?.
All of them also include information that exists on Pratchett's computer, but that he has not yet worked into a novel (for instance, William de Worde is mentioned in the first edition, six years before the publication of The Truth).
At the end of each article is an abbreviation indicating the book(s) in which the word, person, event or place appeared (if there are too many, then no abbreviation is used). The book also includes an introduction by Stephen Briggs and an interview with Terry Pratchett, both of which have also been "updated" in each edition.
- Pratchett, Terry; Stephen Briggs (1994). The Discworld Companion. London: Gollancz. ISBN 0-575-05764-5. Hardcover
- Pratchett, Terry; Stephen Briggs (1995). The Discworld Companion. London: Gollancz. ISBN 0-575-06002-6. trade paperback
- Pratchett, Terry; Stephen Briggs (1997). The Discworld Companion Updated. London: Gollancz. ISBN 0-575-60030-6. Paperback
- Pratchett, Terry; Stephen Briggs (2000). The Discworld Companion Updated. London: Gollancz. ISBN 0-575-60030-6. Paperback, US edition
- Pratchett, Terry; Stephen Briggs (2002). The New Discworld Companion. London: Gollancz. ISBN 0-575-07467-1. Trade paperback, 544 pp.
- Pratchett, Terry; Stephen Briggs (2003). The New Discworld Companion. London: Gollancz. ISBN 0-575-07467-1. Trade paperback, 280 pp. Omits "Where Am I?"
- Pratchett, Terry; Stephen Briggs (2003). The New Discworld Companion. London: Gollancz. ISBN 0-575-07555-4. Paperback, 472 pp.
- ^ Clute and Grant 1997, pp. 784-785.
- Discworld & Pratchett Wiki
- The Discworld Companion publication history at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- The Discworld Companion Updated publication history at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- The New Discworld Companion publication history at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Discworld Companion — Компаньон Плоского мира Discworld Companion Автор: Терри Пратчетт Жанр: фэнтези … Википедия
The Discworld Diaries — «Ежедневники Плоского Мира» серия иллюстрированных дневников о Плоском мире, каждый из которых (за исключением ожидаемого в 2008 году «Книги Мудрости Лю Тзе) описывают организации Анк Морпорка. В дневниках, наряду с иллюстрациями,… … Википедия
The Discworld Mapp — Карта Плоского Мира The Discworld Map Автор: Терри Пратчетт Жанр: фэнтези … Википедия
Games of the Discworld — The fictional universe of the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett features a number of invented games, some of which have gone on to spawn real world variants. Contents 1 Stealth Chess 2 Cripple Mr Onion 3 Thud … Wikipedia
Other dimensions of the Discworld — Discworld, the fictional planet of a fantasy series by Terry Pratchett exists at a point near the very edge of universe s reality spectrum. From here, the fabric of the fictional universe s reality is gossamer and thin, and excessive pushing can… … Wikipedia
Religions of the Discworld — The world depicted in Terry Pratchett s Discworld series of novels has a lively and complex religious life. The Discworld had numerous gods, all of which clearly exist rather than being socio cultural inventions. There are also multiple… … Wikipedia
Technology of the Discworld — The technology depicted in Terry Pratchett s Discworld novels takes two forms: magical and mechanical. Nearly all technology early in the series is at least partially magical, but in recent books there has been something of an industrial… … Wikipedia
Flora and fauna of the Discworld — Terry Pratchett s fictional Discworld has a large number of creatures and plants unique to it or its parasite universes (such as Fairyland or Death s Domain). Contents 1 Fauna 1.1 Ambiguous Puzuma 1.2 Basilisk … Wikipedia
List of fictional books within the Discworld series — This is a list of fictional books within the Discworld series. Due to the nature of the series, many of these are magical in nature. Magical* Book of Going Forth around Elevenish * The Books of History Wen the Eternally Surprised ( Small Gods ,… … Wikipedia
Discworld (world) — The Discworld as it appears in the SkyOne adaptation of The Colour of Magic. The Discworld is the fictional setting for all of Terry Pratchett s Discworld fantasy novels. It consists of a large disc (complete with edge of the world drop off and… … Wikipedia