- Naval Air Station Lemoore
Naval Air Station Lemoore
IATA: NLC – ICAO: KNLC - FAA: NLC Summary Airport type Naval Air Station Operator United States Navy Location Kings / Fresno counties, near Lemoore, California Built 1961 In use Active Commander Captain James R. Knapp Elevation AMSL 234 ft / 71.3 m Coordinates Runways Direction Length Surface ft m 14L/32R 13,502 4,115 Concrete 13,502 4,115 Concrete
Naval Air Station Lemoore or NAS Lemoore (IATA: NLC, ICAO: KNLC, FAA LID: NLC) is a United States Navy base, located in Kings County and Fresno County, California. Lemoore Station, California, a census-designated place, is located inside the base's borders.
NAS Lemoore is the Navy's largest master jet base. Strike Fighter Wing Pacific, along with its associated squadrons, is home ported there.
Commissioned in 1961, NAS Lemoore is the newest air station in the U.S. Navy. It has two offset parallel runways 4,600 feet (1,400 m) apart. Aircraft parking and maintenance hangars are aligned between the 13,500-foot (4,100 m) runways. Separated from the hangars by underpasses beneath taxiways A & C, the remainder of the air operations area is located directly southeast.
In July 1998, NAS Lemoore was selected as the West Coast site for the Navy’s newest strike-fighter aircraft, the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet. This action brings approximately 92 additional aircraft, 1,850 additional active duty personnel and 3,000 family members to NAS Lemoore and several associated facility additions or improvements.
The Navy also brought four new fleet squadrons to Naval Air Station Lemoore over the period 2001-2004. Additional military staffing will be required at Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Department, Strike Fighter Weapons School Pacific, and Center for Naval Aviation Technical Training Unit Lemoore (CNATTU Lemoore) to support this effort.
With the transfer of NAS Miramar to the United States Marine Corps, NAS Lemoore now hosts the Navy's entire west coast fighter/attack capability. NAS Lemoore was built “from the ground up” as a Master Jet Base, and has several operational advantages, and relatively few constraints, as a result.
The Pacific Strike Fighter Wing with its supporting facilities are home ported here. The primary aircraft based at NAS Lemoore is the F/A-18 Hornet Strike Fighter. In November, 1999, NAS Lemoore received its first F/A-18 E/F Super Hornets, which replaced the F-14 Tomcat in fleet service as an air superiority fighter and has assumed, in a different configuration, the role of older F/A-18 Strike Fighters. Currently, there are a total of 175 Hornets and Super Hornets home-based at NAS Lemoore operating from one Fleet Replacement [training] Squadron and fourteen Fleet [operational] Squadrons.
Pacific Strike Fighter Wing
- Carrier Air Wing 2 (CVW-2), assigned to: USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72)
- Carrier Air Wing 5 (CVW-5), forward deployed to NAF Atsugi, Japan; assigned to: USS George Washington (CVN-73)
- Carrier Air Wing 9 (CVW-9), assigned to: USS John C. Stennis (CVN-74)
- Carrier Air Wing 11 (CVW-11), assigned to: USS Nimitz (CVN-68)
- Carrier Air Wing 14 (CVW-14), assigned to: USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76)
F/A-18A+/B/C/D Hornets F/A-18E/F Super Hornets
- VFA-2 Bounty Hunters (F)
- VFA-14 Tophatters (E)
- VFA-22 Fighting Redcocks (F)
- VFA-41 Black Aces (F)
- VFA-86 Sidewinders (E)
- VFA-122 Flying Eagles (A,B,C,D,E,F)
- VFA-137 Kestrels (E)
- VFA-147 Argonauts (E)
- VFA-154 Black Knights (F)
- VFA-27 Royal Maces (E) Forward deployed to NAF Atsugi,CVW-5
- VFA-102 Diamondbacks (F) Forward deployed to NAF Atsugi,CVW-5
- VFA-115 Eagles (E) Forward deployed to NAF Atsugi,CVW-5
- VFA-195 Dambusters (E) Forward deployed to NAF Atsugi,CVW-5
- Strike Fighter Wing Pacific
- Strike Fighter Weapons School Pacific
- Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Department
- AIMD Sea Operational Detachment
- Fleet Industrial Support Center San Diego, Det Lemoore
- Fleet Aviation Specialized Operational Training Group, Pacific Fleet
- Marine Aviation Training Support Group
- Naval Air Technical Services Facility Detachment
- Naval Aviation Engineering Service Unit
- Naval Air Maintenance Training Group
- Naval Hospital
- Naval Branch Dental Clinic
- Naval Training Systems Center
- Trainer Systems Support Activity
- Navy Operational Support Center (formerly Naval Air Reserve Center)
- Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Detachment.
- Naval Criminal Investigative Service NCISRA
- Naval Legal Service Office, Southwest Branch Office
- Aviation Survival Training Center
- NATEC, Naval Air Technical Data and Engineering Service Command
- NAFC, Naval Aviation Forecast Component
- Akers Elementary School (Preschool-8th)
- Neutra Elementary School (K-5)
- Military College
- "Naval Air Station Lemoore". Official web site. https://www.cnic.navy.mil/Lemoore/index.htm. Retrieved 2008-10-11.
- "Naval Air Station Lemoore". GlobalSecurity.org. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/lemoore.htm. Retrieved 2006-10-30.
- FAA Airport Master Record for NLC ( PDF)
Operational military installations of California
- http://www.cnic.navy.mil/Lemoore/index.htm (official site)
- Resources for this U.S. military airport:
ArmyFortAirfieldHeliportRange MarinesAir StationCampRangeLogistics NavyDepotOutlying FieldPortStationRangeSchool Air ForceRange National GuardSchool Coast GuardStation
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Naval Air Station Glynco — IATA: NEA – ICAO: KNEA Summary Airport type Military: Naval air station (decommissioned) Owner/Operator • Glynn County Airport Commission (current) • … Wikipedia
Naval Air Station South Weymouth — NAS South Weymouth in 1954 IATA: NZW – ICAO: KNZW – FAA LID: NZW … Wikipedia
Naval Air Station Alameda — Aerial view of NAS Alameda in the mid 1940s … Wikipedia
Naval Air Station North Island — NAS North Island Halsey Field IATA: NZY – ICAO: KNZY – FAA LID: NZY Summary … Wikipedia
Naval Air Station Point Mugu — Naval Base Ventura County Point Mugu Naval Base Ventura County (NBVC) IATA: NTD – ICAO: KNTD – FAA LID: NTD … Wikipedia
Naval Air Facility El Centro — IATA: NJK – ICAO: KNJK FAA: NJK Summary Airport type Naval Air Facility … Wikipedia
Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach — Seal Beach, California Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach Insignia Type … Wikipedia
Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake — For other uses, see China Lake (disambiguation). Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake IATA: none – ICAO: KNID – FAA LID: NID … Wikipedia
List of US Naval Air Stations — This is a list of US Naval Air StationsActive U.S. Naval Air Stations*Naval Air Station Brunswick Brunswick, Maine *Naval Air Station Corpus Christi Corpus Christi, Texas *Naval Air Station Fallon Fallon, Nevada *Naval Air Station Lemoore Lemoore … Wikipedia
Marine Corps Air Station Miramar — MCAS Miramar, Mitscher Field The Miramar flight line from above … Wikipedia