- Mashina Vremeni
Mashina Vremeni meets Russian president Dmitri Medvedev. L-R: Medvedev, Yefremov, Margulis, Makarevich
Background information Origin Moscow, Soviet Union Genres Rock and roll, Blues rock Years active 1969–present Website www.mashina.ru Members Andrey Makarevich
Mashina Vremeni (Russian: Машина времени, Russian for Time Machine) is a Russian rock band founded in 1969. Mashina Vremeni was a pioneer in Soviet rock music, and remains one of the oldest still active rock bands in Russia. Mashina Vremeni's best known members are Andrei Makarevich - the founder, principal singer-songwriter and the band's public persona, Alexander Kutikov - the bass player and producer/sound engineer, and guitarist/songwriter Yevgeny Margulis.
The first band Andrei Makarevich was involved in was a school band which consisted of two guitarists and two girls on vocals singing American folk songs. Serious attempts began in 1968 when Andrei Makarevich heard songs by The Beatles. The band was reformed and called The Kids. After some time the girls were removed from the squad and the band began to be called Mashiny Vremeni (Time Machines - in plural form imitating The Beatles, Rolling Stones etc.) The most significant founders included Sergey Kavagoe and Andrey Makarevich. The band's repertoire consisted of eleven songs in English, now lost.
- 1971 - Alexander Kutikov becomes the bass player, introducing more of buoyant rock-n-roll into the band's material
- 1972 - Line-up losses in the band as several members are drafted into service (which to this day is compulsory in Russia)
- 1973 - Tensions between Sergey Kavagoe and Alexander Kutikov; the latter leaves the band for a hard rock outfit Visokosnoe Leto (Leap Year Summer)
- 1974 - Sergey Kavagoe leaves, Alexander Kutikov returns. However, Kavagoe also returns after about six months. The band performs with the following line-up: Andrei Makarevich, Alexander Kutikov, Sergey Kavagoe, and Alexey Romanov (future leader of another prominent Russian band Voskreseniye ("Resurrection" or "Sunday"))
- 1975 - Romanov and Kutikov suddenly depart. Evgeny Margulis joins on guitar
- 1976 - Mashina Vremeni is invited to a festival "Songs of youth in Tallinn - 76" and performs there with a great success. Many people join (including couple of violinists) and leave after some time during this year.
- 1978 - First studio record of Mashina Vremeni. Alexander Kutikov, though playing in Visokosnoe Leto, was also working in sound-recording studio in order to help the band gain access to good equipment. The record is now known as "Eto bylo tak davno" ("It was so long ago").
- 1979 - Band in crisis. Sergey Kavagoe and Evgeny Margulis leaves the band and join Voskresenie. At this time, Andrei Makarevich writes one of the band's most enduring and popular songs: "Poka gorit svecha" ("As long as the candle burns"), as a statement of his not giving up. After some time of frustration, Alexander Kutikov saves the situation by leaving the Visokosnoe Leto band and bringing Valeriy Efremov (also from Visokosnoe Leto) as drummer and Petr Podgorodetskiy on the keyboards.
- 1980 - The beginning of the golden era of Mashina Vremeni. The band wins the festival "Spring Rhythms 80" main award and continues its concert tour. However, they are only allowed this because of musical freedom indulgences given in light of 1980 Olympic Games in Moscow.
- 1981 - The song "Povorot" ("The turning point") stays on the top of charts for 18 months. The band composes the soundtrack to the popular movie Dusha, starring Sofia Rotaru watched by more than 57 million cinema-goers in the Soviet Union.[unreliable source?]
- 1982 - Repressions begin in earnest with a denouncing article "'Blue Bird' ragout" ("Blue Bird" was a popular song of the band) which describes the band's output as depressive and ideologically unsound. A nationwide wave of protest against the denunciation sends thousands of fan letters to newspaper editors. Petr Podgorodetskiy leaves; Alexandr Zaitsev replaces him.
- 1986 - "Best songs 1979-1985" compilation is recorded. Album "V dobriy chas" ("Good Luck") is recorded.
- 1987 - "Reki i Mosty" ("Rivers and Bridges") album recorded. It is considered Mashina Vremeni's first official album (all the previous ones were recorded illegally, for underground distribution. First appearances on the television. The band performs at Live Aid 2 festival in Japan.
- 1988 - First international tours - USA, Canada, Greece, Spain and Bulgaria.
- 1989 - "V kruge sveta" ("In the circle of light") album is released.
- 1990 - Alexandr Zaitsev leaves and Evgeny Margulis and Petr Podgorodetsky join the band once again.
- 1991 - "Medlennaya khoroshaya muzyka" ("Slow good music") album is released.
- 1993 - Alexander Kutikov's company "Sintez Records" releases retro albums "Best songs 1979-1985" and "That was so long ago". Album "Vneshtatniy komandir Zemli" ("Part-time commander of the Earth") is released.
- 1994 - Acoustic live album "Unplugged" is recorded and released. 25th anniversary is celebrated in 7 hours concert on the Red Square
- 1995 - Compilation of old unpublished songs is released. This compilation is known as "Kovo ty hotiel udivit?" ("Whom did you expect to surprise?"), after one of Alexander Kutikov's most acclaimed songs.
- 1996 - "Kartonniye krylia lubvi" ("Cardboard wings of love") album is released.
- 1996 - "20 let spustya" ("20 years later") album is released.
- 1997 - "Otryvayas" ("Breaking away") album is released.
- 1999 - The 30th anniversary of the band. A massive concert, usually considered to be the band's best ever, takes place in the main stadium of "sport-complex Olympiyskiy" im Moscow. "Chasy i znaki" ("Hours and signs") album is released. Petr Podgorodetskiy leaves due to tensions. Andrey Derzhavin takes his place on the keyboard.
- 2001 - "Mesto gde svet" ("The place where there's light") album is released.
- 2004 - 35th anniversary of the band. A concert featuring 35 selected songs is played at the Red Square. "Mashinalno" ("Mechanically") album is released.
- 2005 - Live album "Kremlin rocks" is released. The band performed with the Kremlin chamber orchestra "Kremlin".
- 2006 - Sintez Records releases a compilation called "Mashina vremeni - chast' 1" ("Time Machine - Part 1"). The band records a new album (which is called in English "Time machine") at famous Studio 2 at Abbey Road Studios.
- 2007 - The group releases the Time machine album.
- 2009 - The band celebrates its 40th anniversary with a large concert.
- 2010 - The band continues to celebrate its 40th anniversary with a seven stop North American tour
Mashina Vremeni's sound is eclectic and incorporates many different genres. Songs are composed by almost every band's member, and reflect each one's style. Makarevich is a renowned fan of The Beatles, and many of his songs reflect Beatles' influence. But he's also influenced by blues music and Soviet singers-songwriters, the so-called "bards". Kutikov is a quintessential rocker, he composes guitar-oriented hard rock. Margulis is one of the Russia's best known bluesmen, his songs are usually blues rock ballads.
All the band's lyrics are written by Makarevich. They are usually metaphorical fables that make allegorical puns on contemporary life.
Year Russian Translit English Notes 1978 Это было так давно Eto bylo tak davno That was so long ago Self-released tape album. Released by an official label only in 1990 1979 Маленький принц Malenkiy printz The Little Prince live album with inter-song quotations from the Antoine de Saint-Exupéry book 1986 В добрый час V dobriy chas Good luck 1987 Реки и мосты Reki i mosty Rivers and bridges 1989 В круге света V kruge sveta In the circle of light 1991 Медленная хорошая музыка Medlennaya khoroshaya muzyka Slow good music 1993 Внештатный командиръ Земли Vneshtatniy komandir Zemli Part-time commander of the Earth 1994 Кого ты хотел удивить? Kogo ty khotel udivit Whom did you want to astound? old unpublished song compilation 1994 Unplugged live acoustic album 1996 Megamix remixes of some popular songs in electronic music manner 1996 Картонные крылья любви Kartonniye kryliya lubvi Cardboard wings of love 1996 Неизданное Neizdannoe Unpublished some rare songs of early 70s 1997 Отрываясь Otryvayas Breaking away 1999 ХХХ лет МВ 30 years of Mashina Vremeni XXX anniversary concert live album 1999 Часы и Знаки Chasy i znaki Hours and signs 2000 50 на двоих 50 na dvoikh 50 for two Joint concert of Mashina Vremeni and Voskresenie 2001 Место, где свет Mesto gde svet Place where there is light 2004 Машинально Mashinalno Mechanically 2005 Kremlin Rocks! A concert of Mashina Vremeni with chamber orchestra Kremlin 2007 Time machine 2009 Машины не парковать Mashiny ne parkovat No parking for cars
Mashina Vremeni is one of the best selling artists in Russia, but due to raging computer piracy, most of CDs sold are not legal CDs released by recording companies.
- Andrey Makarevich - guitar, vocals
- Alexander Kutikov - bass-guitar, vocals
- Valeriy Efremov - drums, percussion
- Evgeny Margulis - guitar, bass-guitar, vocals
- Andrei Derzhavin - keyboard, vocals
- Sergey Ostroumov - additional percussions (regular on live performances since 2004)
- Alexandr Ditkovsky - trumpet (regular on live performances since 2004)
- ^ Filimonov, Mikhail (2004). "Искусство жить по Стефановичу" (in Russian). Express gazeta № 50. http://www.filimonka.ru/arhive/arxiv/2004/472004.php. Retrieved 2008-12-27.
- ^ "Машина времени гастроли" (in Russian). http://www.mashina.ru/test1000/mashina/gastroli.html. Retrieved 2010-01-19.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mashina — (משינה) Background information Origin Tel Aviv, Israel … Wikipedia
Mashina Vremini — Maschina Wremeni Gründung 1969 Genre Rock Website http://www.mashina.ru Aktuelle Besetzung Gesang, Gitarre Andrei Makarewitsch Gesang, Bass … Deutsch Wikipedia
Dusha — Original film poster Directed by Alexander Stefanovich Produced by … Wikipedia
Soul (film) — Infobox Film name = Soul caption = Original film poster imdb id = 0082301 producer = Alexander Stefanovich director = writer = Alexander Borodyansky, Alexander Stefanovich starring = Sofia Rotaru Mikhail Boyarsky music = Alexander Kutikov, Andrei … Wikipedia
Maschina Wremini — Maschina Wremeni Gründung 1969 Genre Rock Website http://www.mashina.ru Aktuelle Besetzung Gesang, Gitarre Andrei Makarewitsch Gesang, Bass … Deutsch Wikipedia
Tbilisi Rock Festival (1980) — The Spring Rhythms. Tbilisi 80 ( ru. Весенние ритмы. Тбилиси 80, Vesennye ritmy. Tbilisi 80 ) was a musical event held in Tbilisi, capital of the Georgian SSR, Soviet Union, from March 8 to March 16 1980. It was the first official rock festival… … Wikipedia
А. Макаревич — Андрей Макаревич Андрей Макаревич, 2007 Полное имя Андрей Вадимович Макаревич Дата рождения 11 декабря 1955 (53 года) Место рождения Москва … Википедия
Макаревич, Андрей — Андрей Макаревич Андрей Макаревич, 2007 Полное имя Андрей Вадимович Макаревич Дата рождения 11 декабря 1955 (53 года) Место рождения Москва … Википедия
Макаревич А. — Андрей Макаревич Андрей Макаревич, 2007 Полное имя Андрей Вадимович Макаревич Дата рождения 11 декабря 1955 (53 года) Место рождения Москва … Википедия
Макаревич А. В. — Андрей Макаревич Андрей Макаревич, 2007 Полное имя Андрей Вадимович Макаревич Дата рождения 11 декабря 1955 (53 года) Место рождения Москва … Википедия