- The Perfect Drug
"The Perfect Drug" Single by Nine Inch Nails from the album Lost Highway Soundtrack Released May 13, 1997 Format CD, Promotional 12" Recorded mid-late 1996 Genre Industrial, darkcore Length 5 min 15 sec Label Nothing Records Writer(s) Trent Reznor Producer Jack Dangers, Luke Vibert Nine Inch Nails singles chronology "Hurt"
"The Perfect Drug"
"The Day the World Went Away"
"The Perfect Drug" or (Halo 11) is a song by Nine Inch Nails. It was written for the David Lynch film Lost Highway and originally appeared on the Lost Highway soundtrack and as a single from the score in 1997. Remixes of the song were released in an EP, "The Perfect Drug" Versions.
Though "The Perfect Drug" Versions acts as a single for the titular song, the original version does not appear on the American single. A slightly extended version of "The Perfect Drug" has also been included on the foreign singles "We're in This Together, Part 3" and "Into the Void", but the only audio release of it in North America has been on the Lost Highway soundtrack. The music video for song was directed by Mark Romanek, and is on the Closure video compilation and The Work of Director Mark Romanek.
Despite being a single, "The Perfect Drug" has never been performed live. On the official NIN website, "Sara" asked whether this is because "the drum solo would make Jerome's arms fall off." Then-drummer Jerome Dillon replied that they "never rule out the possibility of playing any of the songs live."
On April 6, 2005, despite the song's fast-moving worldwide success, while presenting the late-night BBC Radio 1 Rock Show in the UK, Trent Reznor responded to the question "which piece of your own work are you least satisfied with and why?" by saying "the only thing I think I really don't like that much is The Perfect Drug song. It was one of those things where you have a week to do a track for a movie, the mindset that you kind of adapt in that situation, or I did, was 'let's go in and experiment and see what happens, and it's not, y'know, whatever comes out of it, it's not the end of the world'. And I think what came out of it, married with a bloated, over-budget video, feels like ... the least thing that I would play to somebody if they said play me, y'know, the top hundred songs you've written, that probably wouldn't be in the top hundred. I'm not cringing about it, but it's not my favorite piece."
"The Perfect Drug" was released as a track for the video game Rock Band on February 26, 2008 for Xbox 360 and on February 28 for PlayStation 3. It is available as a standalone download or as part of the 'Nine Inch Nails' song pack along with "March of the Pigs" and "The Collector". It is viewed as one of the hardest songs to play on drums in the game. It later appeared in Rock Band Unplugged.
The song is one of 31 music files in RIAA v. Tenenbaum case, which resulted in finding the individual file-sharer guilty of copyright infringement in July 2009, demanding an award of $22,500 a song.
A music video for the single was directed by Mark Romanek and released on January 18, 1997. It portrays a despairing father played by Reznor who mourns a dead child in his gothic estate, losing himself in the consumption of absinthe. The theme was inspired by the art of Edward Gorey, referencing The Gashlycrumb Tinies. Other references include Gustav Klimt's painting The Kiss (1907–1908) and a "Scanning Machine" designed by Frenchman François Willème in 1860.
"The Perfect Drug" Versions is the eleventh official Nine Inch Nails release and consists of five remixes of the song "The Perfect Drug." The European, Australian, and Japanese releases append the original version of the song, while a promotional vinyl set adds an exclusive sixth remix, by Aphrodite.
- "The Perfect Drug (Remixed by Meat Beat Manifesto)" – 7:24
- "The Perfect Drug (Remixed by Plug)" – 6:53
- "The Perfect Drug (Remixed by Nine Inch Nails)" – 8:19
- "The Perfect Drug (Remixed by Spacetime Continuum)" – 5:42
- "The Perfect Drug (Remixed by The Orb)" – 6:12
- "The Perfect Drug (Original Version)" – 5:16 Non-US releases only
U.S. Billboard Hot Singles Sales  17 Canadian Singles Chart 2 Canadian RPM Rock/Alternative Chart 2
The single is the most successful single in Canada, after sitting in the Canadian charts for 208 weeks.
In popular culture
This song was used as the entrance song for Michihiro Omigawa at UFC 131.
- ^ Trent Reznor (2004-05-10). "Access". nin.com. Archived from the original on 2006-10-29. http://web.archive.org/web/20061029150405/http://www.nin.com/access/7_19_05/index.asp. Retrieved 2008-02-25.
- ^ Trent Reznor. Rock Show. BBC Radio 1. April 6, 2005. An mp3 of the interview can be found on 'Trent Reznor Presents The Radio 1 Rock Show' from carldpatterson.com, Reznor reads the question at 1:38:20 and after discussing how he is still satisfied with his previous albums, he brings up "The Perfect Drug" at 1:39:25.
- ^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDRYwULurGk
- ^ "Videos Honored". Rolling Stone. real.com. http://uk.real.com/music/artist/Nine_Inch_Nails/articles/361860/-related-articles-page-16/. Retrieved 2008-02-18.
- ^ . Retrieved on June 9, 2008.
- ^ "Nine Inch Nails > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles". allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/p5033. Retrieved 2010-08-17.
- ^ "Rock/Alternative - Volume 65, No. 5, April 07 1997". RPM. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/rpm/028020-119.01-e.php?&file_num=nlc008388.3175&type=1&interval=20&PHPSESSID=c6btf3r8hs459qqt5ln3o3dcv5. Retrieved 2010-08-17.
- ^ CANOE - JAM! Music SoundScan Charts
- The Perfect Drug at nin.com, the official website
- The Perfect Drug at the NinWiki
- Clip of the making of "The Perfect Drug" video with Mark Romanek
- Halo 11 at NIN collector
- discogs.com: The Perfect Drug (US CD5" Promo)
- discogs.com: "The Perfect Drug" Versions (US CD5")
- discogs.com: "The Perfect Drug" Versions (EU CD5")
- discogs.com: "The Perfect Drug" Versions (EU 3x12")
Nine Inch Nails Trent Reznor
Alex Carapetis · Charlie Clouser · Alessandro Cortini · Jerome Dillon · Robin Finck · Josh Freese · Danny Lohner · Justin Meldal-Johnsen · Aaron North · Richard Patrick · Ilan Rubin · Chris Vrenna · Jeff Ward · Jeordie White · James Woolley
Studio albums and EPs Remix albums Live albums Compilation albumsPromotional SinglesCommercialPromotional Notable songs Tours Soundtracks Films Games Other RelatedPeopleMartin Atkins · John Balance · Sean Beavan · Adrian Belew · David Carson · Peter Christopherson · Flood · Dave Grohl · John Malm, Jr. · Marilyn Manson · Russell Mills · Alan Moulder · Dave Ogilvie · Stephen Perkins · Mark Romanek · Atticus Ross · Rob Sheridan · Adrian Sherwood · Gary Talpas · J. G. Thirlwell · Brian Viglione · Saul WilliamsBandsArticles Lists Categories Book · Commons · Portal · WikiProject
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Perfect Drug — «The Perfect Drug» Сингл Nine Inch Nails из альбома Шоссе в никуда (саундтрек) … Википедия
The Perfect Drug — «The Perfect Drug» Sencillo de Nine Inch Nails del álbum Lost Highway Soundtrack Publicación 13 de mayo de 1997 Formato CD, promocional 12 Género(s) metal industrial Duración … Wikipedia Español
The perfect drug — Single par Nine Inch Nails extrait de l’album Lost Highway Sortie 13 mai 1997 Durée 34:30 (US) 39:46 (EU) Genre(s) Metal industriel Format CD pro … Wikipédia en Français
The Perfect Drug — Single par Nine Inch Nails extrait de l’album Lost Highway Sortie 13 mai 1997 Durée 34:30 (US) 39:46 (EU) Genre Metal industriel Format … Wikipédia en Français
The Perfect Element, part I — Infobox Album | Name = The Perfect Element, part I Type = Album Artist = Pain of Salvation Released = October 31, 2000 Recorded = Roasting House Recording Studio; Malmö, Sweden, March July 2000 Genre = Progressive metal Length = 73:50 Label =… … Wikipedia
The Perfect Son — Infobox Film name = The Perfect Son image size = caption = director = Leonard Farlinger producer = writer = Leonard Farlinger narrator = starring = Colm Feore David Cubitt music = cinematography = editing = distributor = released = 2000 runtime … Wikipedia
The day the world went away — Single par Nine Inch Nails extrait de l’album The Fragile Sortie 20 juillet 1999 Durée 15:47 (CD) 17:27 (12 ) Genre(s) Metal industriel Format … Wikipédia en Français
The Day the World Went Away — Single par Nine Inch Nails extrait de l’album The Fragile Sortie 20 juillet 1999 Durée 15:47 (CD) 17:27 (12 ) Genre Metal industriel Format … Wikipédia en Français
The Day the World Went Away — «The Day the World Went Away» Sencillo de Nine Inch Nails del álbum The Fragile Publicación 20 de julio de 1999 Formato CD, 12 Grabación Agosto de 1997 abril de 1999 Género(s) … Wikipedia Español
The Downward Spiral — Studio album by Nine Inch Nails Released … Wikipedia