- Average cost pricing
Average cost pricing is one of the ways government regulate a monopoly market. Monopolists tend to produce less than the optimal quantity pushing the prices up. Government may use "average cost pricing" as a tool to regulate prices monopolists may charge.
Average cost pricing forces monopolists to reduce price to where the firm's average total cost (ATC) intersects the market demand curve. The effect on the market would be:
- Increase production and decrease price.- Increase social welfare (efficient resource allocation).- Generate a normal profit for monopolist (Price = ATC) * [ [http://ideas.repec.org/a/aea/aecrev/v73y1983i2p189-93.html RePEc] "Marginal vs. Average Cost Pricing in the Presence of a Public Monopoly", "American Economic Review" v.73:189-93 (1983). ]
* [http://www.12manage.com/description_average_cost_pricing.html Average Cost Pricing]
* [http://www.investopedia.com/terms/a/average_cost_pricing_rule.asp Average Cost Pricing Rule] on Investopedia
* [http://www.communitylab.org/?q=node/108 Chen, Yan] . " [http://www.si.umich.edu/~yanchen/papers/chen_srl.pdf An Experimental Study of the Serial and Average Cost Pricing Mechanisms] ," "Journal of Public Economics" (2003).
* [http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=946177 "Marginal Cost versus Average Cost Pricing with Climatic Shocks in Senegal: A Dynamic Computable General Equilibrium Model Applied to Water"] by ANNE BRIAND, University of Rouen, November 2006
* [http://worthwhile.typepad.com/worthwhile_canadian_initi/2006/08/average_cost_pr.html Average cost pricing at Statistics Canada]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
average cost pricing — /ˌæv(ə)rɪdʒ kɒst ˌpraɪsɪŋ/ noun pricing based on the average cost of producing one unit of a product … Marketing dictionary in english
Average Cost Pricing Rule — A pricing strategy that regulators impose on certain businesses to limit the price they are able to charge consumers for its products/services equal to the costs necessary to create the product/service. This implies that businesses will set the… … Investment dictionary
Average cost — In economics, average cost is equal to total cost divided by the number of goods produced (the output quantity, Q). It is also equal to the sum of average variable costs (total variable costs divided by Q) plus average fixed costs (total fixed… … Wikipedia
average cost — 1) The average cost per unit of output calculated by dividing the total costs, both fixed costs and variable costs, by the total units of output. 2) (AVCO; weighted average cost) A method of valuing units of raw material or finished goods issued… … Accounting dictionary
average cost — The average cost per unit of output calculated by dividing the total costs, both fixed costs and variable costs, by the total units of output. (AVCO; weighted average cost) A method of valuing units of raw material or finished goods issued from… … Big dictionary of business and management
Weighted average cost of capital — The weighted average cost of capital (WACC) is the rate that a company is expected to pay to finance its assets. WACC is the minimum return that a company must earn on existing asset base to satisfy its creditors, owners, and other providers of… … Wikipedia
Cost-plus pricing — is a pricing method used by companies to maximize their profits. The firms accomplish their objective of profit maximization by increasing their production until marginal revenue equals marginal cost, and then charging a price which is determined … Wikipedia
Pricing strategies — for products or services include the following: Contents 1 Competition based pricing 2 Cost plus pricing 3 Creaming or skimming 4 Limit pricin … Wikipedia
Cost per procedure — Cost per procedure, sometimes known as price per procedure, is a medical pricing model which describes the average cost of receiving a certain medical procedure. References ^ http://www.loislaw.com/ogpc/login.htp?WSRet=12 dockey=52930 … Wikipedia
Cost — This article is about the economic concept. For the scientific organization, see COST. For uses of The Cost , see The Cost (disambiguation). Expenditure redirects here. For personal consumption expenditure, see Consumption (economics). In… … Wikipedia