- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University
Marathwada University Motto "Knowledge Is Sacred and Is the Source of Enlightenment" Established 1958 Chancellor Shri K. Sankarnarayanan Vice-Chancellor Dr.Vijay M. Pandharipande Location Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India Campus Urban Affiliations University Grants Commission (India) Website www.bamu.net
BAMU was established as "Marathwada University" on August 23, 1958. 153 colleges are affiliated to the university. The student population exceeds 100,000.
A year before the establishment of Marathwada University, the population of Marathwada was about 5.3 million, and there were around 3,686 primary schools, 231 middle schools, 95 high schools, one polytechnic, and one technical school in Marathwada.
In response to demand of the public in Marathwada region for a university, the government appointed on 27 April 1957 a committee with the charter to provide recommendations regarding establishment of such a university. The governor of Maharashtra signed the Marathwada University Act on May 5, 1958.
Jawaharlal Nehru, then Prime Minister of India, inaugurated Marathwada University on August 23, 1958 at Aurangabad on the premises of the temporary main building of the university.
S.R. Dongerkery became the first vice-chancellor.
Affiliation of the following nine colleges was transferred from Osmania University to the newly formed Marathwada University:
- The Government College of Arts and Science, Aurangabad (established in 1923).
- The Milind Mahavidyalaya, Aurangabad (established in 1950).
- The People’s College, Nanded (established in 1950).
- The Government College of Education, Aurangabad (established in 1954).
- The Marathwada College of Agriculture, Parbhani (established in 1956).
- The Manikchand Pahade Law College, Aurangabad (established in 1956).
- The Government Medical College, Aurangabad (established in 1956).
- The Yogeshwari Science College, Mominabad (established in 1956).
- The Arts and S.B.L. Commerce College, Jalna (established in 1958).
On 14 January 1994, Marathwada University was renamed as “Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University”.
The university campus covers more than 650 acres (2.6 km2). The hills provide a picturesque background. The Aurangabad caves are embedded in the campus. The Soneri Mahal (Golden Palace), an ancient monument at the foot of the hills, is at the center of the campus, while Bibi Ka Maqbara is at the north side.
Coat of arms
The university's coat of arms bears the following emblems:
- An Ajanta Arch with the university motto inscribed in its base. The arch is a symbol of the glory of the art of painting and sculpture which reached their acme in the Ajanta Caves.
- An open book lying on a book-rest, symbolizing learning.
- A sheaf of jowar, representing agriculture, the chief means of livelihood of the people of Marathwada.
- Two elephants, representing the strength of purpose of the people of Marathwada.
- A wheel representing progress.
BAMU has 42 departments:
- Marathi Language and Literature
- Foreign Language
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- History and Ancient Indian Culture
- Management Science
- Library and Information Science
- Pali and Buddhism
- Physical Education
- Environmental Science
- M.E.(Digital Communication)
- Computer Science and IT
- Tourism Administration and Management
- Chemical Technology
- Fine Arts
- Printing Technology
On August 5, 2004, a subcenter of BAMU was established at Osmanabad. It has been temporarily started at Government Ayurvedic College in Osmanabad.
The subcenter has the following postgraduate departments:
- Water and Land Management
Universities in MaharashtraBabasaheb Ambedkar Technological University · Dnyaneshwar Vidyapeeth · Maharashtra University of Health Sciences · Yashawatrao Chavhan Maharashtra Open University · Maharashtra Animal and Fishery Sciences University · University of Solapur · Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University · Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University · Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies · North Maharashtra University · Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University · Shivaji University · SNDT Women's University · Symbiosis International University · Tilak Maharashtra University · University of Mumbai · University of Pune · Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Babasaheb Ambedkar Technological University — Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Technological University Lonere, Raigad, Maharashtra University Logo Motto ।। तंत्रज्ञानात् विकासः ।। Motto in English Development through Technology … Wikipedia
Marathwada University — Marathwada University, renamed as Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, is located at city of Aurangabad, in Maharashtra state of India.=External Link= [http://www.bamu.net/ Marathwada Univercity/BAMU] … Wikipedia
University of Mumbai — मुंबई विद्यापीठ Seal of University of Mumbai Motto Sanskrit: शीलवृतफला विद्या … Wikipedia
Marathwada Institute of Technology — Motto Quest For Excellence Established 1975 Type Private Institution affiliated to Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University India … Wikipedia
Marathwada — Map of the Marathwada region in Maharashtra The name Marathwada (Marathi: मराठवाडा) identifies one of the five regions in Maharashtra state of India. The region coincides with the Aurangabad Division. Contents … Wikipedia
Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University — Nagpur University Established 1923 Type Public Chancellor K. Sankaranarayanan Vice Chancellor Dr. V. S. Sapkal Location … Wikipedia
SNDT Women's University — Established 1896 Type Public Chancellor S.C. Jamir Vice Chancellor … Wikipedia
Maharashtra University of Health Sciences — Established 3 June 1998 Type Government University Chancellor Shri. K. Sankaranarayanan … Wikipedia
North Maharashtra University — Motto Teach One Each One Established 1990 Type Public Chancellor … Wikipedia
Liste Des Universités Indiennes — Liste des universités en Inde Sommaire 1 Andhra Pradesh 2 Arunachal Pradesh 3 Assam 4 Bengale Occidental … Wikipédia en Français