- For the Bauhaus album, see Crackle - The Best of Bauhaus. For the fifth derivative of the position vector with respect to time, see Crackle (physics).
Crackle, Inc. Type Subsidiary of Sony Pictures Entertainment, Inc. Founded July 2007 Headquarters Culver City, California, U.S. Owner(s) Sony Parent Sony Pictures Entertainment, Inc. Website www.crackle.com
Crackle (formerly known as Grouper) is a digital network and studio, featuring commercially supported streaming video content in Flash Video format. It is owned by Sony Pictures Entertainment, and its content consists primarily of Sony's library of films and television shows. Crackle provides its content through a web syndication network, including YouTube, Hulu, AOL, MySpace, and mobile service providers.
In July 2007, Sony purchased the online video site Grouper for $65 million. In the same month, Sony announced that Grouper would be re-branded and re-purposed as Crackle, a multi-platform video-entertainment network and studio, featuring full-length movies and television shows from Sony’s library, as well as producing original content made just for the Internet. In October 2008, Sony moved Crackle to its Culver City base.
In April 2009, Crackle blocked access to anyone not in the United States of America. On June 8, 2010, Crackle announced it had opened up access to selected content on the site to viewers in the UK, Canada and Australia.In March 2011, Crackle launched on PS3, Roku boxes, Sony Blu-ray players and Bravia TVs. and in April 2011, Crackle launched a mobile app for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch users In July 2011, the Crackle app was launched for the Android platform On October 5th 2011, Microsoft partnered with Crackle, to bring the channel to Xbox 360 Live. 
Crackle currently features original content and licenses movie and T.V. shows from Columbia Pictures, Tri-Star, Screen Gems, and Sony Pictures Classics. 
On October 17, 2011, Crackle announced a Halloween event called Kill Count, which will keep count of the amount of kills the user watches in their expanded horror movie section. 
As of October 2011, the Crackle app has totaled 5 million downloads worldwide. 
In addition to content from Sony Pictures, Crackle features original content, including Trenches and The Bannen Way, which amassed 8.4 million views in February 2010, and more than 13 million views as of March 2010. At the series conclusion it had set records for views for a web series.
In 2011, Crackle began to focus on long form programming. According to Eric Berger, “Short-form episodes had their role on sites like YouTube and other places as the market was developing," he said. "But we think we can create something longer with real talent behind it that can sit side by side with our great library." Such projects include, Monster Heist, Strand Street, and an untitled anthology series that tells paranormal stories. 
Mobile Android Handsets:
- Acer Liquid Metal
- Acer Stream
- Dell Venue
- HTC Desire S
- HTC Desire Z
- HTC EVO 4G
- HTC Inspire 4G
- HTC Nexus One
- HTC Thunderbolt 4G 
- HTC T-Mobile G2 Touch
- HTC T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide
- LG Optimus 2X
- Motorola Atrix
- Motorola Cliq
- Motorola Droid
- Motorola DROID PRO
- Motorola DROID X
- Motorola DROID 2 Global
- Motorola Milestone 2
- Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate 3G
- Samsung Galaxy S II
- Samsung Nexus S
- Samsung SHW-M100S
- Sony Ericsson Experia Arc
- Sony Ericsson Experia PLAY
- Sony Ericsson MT15iv
- Sony Tablet S1/S2
- Google Chrome
Over the top boxes
- Sony Bravia TV
- Google TV(12)
- Sony Blu-ray Player
- Sony Streaming Player
- Sony Dash
- ^ a b c d >. "Sony’s Grouper becomes Crackle, a pathway to Hollywood". VentureBeat. 2007-01-16. http://venturebeat.com/2007/07/16/sonys-grouper-becomes-crackle-a-pathway-to-hollywood/>.. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- ^ "Sony restructuring Crackle online video hub". Reuters. 29 October 2008. http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSTRE49S2QX20081029?feedType=RSS&feedName=internetNews. Retrieved 2009-01-08.
- ^ "G’Day Crackle! Sony’s Online Network Opens Up to Australia, UK". Tubefilter News. http://news.tubefilter.tv/2010/06/08/gday-crackle-sonys-online-network-opens-up-to-australia-uk/. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- ^ a b c d e f g Lawler, Richard (2011-04-18). "Crackle starts streaming all of its free movies to Roku, PS3, Sony TVs and Blu-ray players."". AOLtech. http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/29/crackle-starts-streaming-free-movies-to-roku-ps3-sony-tvs-and/. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- ^ Snider, Mike (2011-04-18). "Sony’s New Crackle app for iPad and iPhone lets you take". USAToday. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2010/04/sonys-new-crackle-app-for-ipad-and-iphone-lets-you-take-seinfeld-with-you/1. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- ^ Edgar, Cervantes (2011-04-18). </ "Watch movies and shows on your phone free with Crackle". Android and me. http://androidandme.com/2011/06/news/watch-movies-and-shows-on-your-phone-for-free-with-crackle/</. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- ^ Maxine, Shen (2011-10-17). "Xbox 360 takes TV". New York Post. http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/tvblog/xbox_takes_on_tv_vjoqrhURYF6bxP55IceocM. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- ^ Andrew, Wallenstein (2011-05-05). "Crackle takes a crack at scripted series". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1018036458.html?nid=2854. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- ^ Willia, Bibbiani (2011-10-17). "EXCLUSIVE: Crackle.com Announces 'Kill Count!'". CraveOnline. http://www.craveonline.com/film/articles/176354-exclusive-cracklecom-announces-kill-count. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- ^ "Crackle Bringing Free Movies to Xbox Live". Gamers Temple. 2011-10-17. http://www.gamerstemple.com/NewsPlus/NPViewArticle.asp?articleid=12089. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- ^ Miller, Liz Shannon (9 February 2010). "The Bannen Way Hits 8.4M Streams Since its Crackle Debut". NewTeeVee.org. http://newteevee.com/2010/02/09/the-bannen-way-hits-8-4m-streams-since-its-crackle-debut/. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- ^ "Crackle Sees Streams Soar". Mediaweek. 14 March 2010. http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content_display/news/digital-downloads/broadband/e3i888c20be761d1d6565b2dd2b59e50726. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- ^ Andrew, Wallenstein (2011-05-05). "Crackle takes crack at scripted series". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1018036458.html?nid=2854. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z aa Cervantes, Edgar. > "Watch movies and shows on your phone free with Crackle". http://androidandme.com/2011/06/news/watch-movies-and-shows-on-your-phone-for-free-with-crackle/>. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- ^ Kennellay, Tim. "Eric Berger Named Exec VP of Digital Networks for Sony Pictures TV". http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-post/sony-tv-taps-eric-berger-evp-digital-networks-26808. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- ^ Warren, Christina (2010-12-07). >. "10 Chrome Web Apps to Check Out". Mashable. http://mashable.com/2010/10/07/chrome-web-apps-roundup/>.. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- ^ Warren, Christina (16 October 2009). "Michael Jackson’s This Is It Premiere: Where to Watch It Online". Mashable. http://mashable.com/2009/10/26/michael-jackson-this-is-it-live-stream/. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- ^ "International Superstar and Humanitarian Wyclef Jean In Live Online Performance for Sony make.believe on Wednesday Night, February 10, 2010". NewsBlaze.com. 8 February 2010. http://newsblaze.com/story/2010020809060200003.pnw/topstory.html. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
Sony Corporation Primary businesses Technologies and brandsα · Betacam · Blu-ray · BRAVIA · CD · Cyber-shot · Dash · DAT · Dream Machine · DVD · Handycam · HDCAM/HDCAM-SR · LocationFree · Memory Stick · MiniDisc · MiniDV · mylo · PlayStation · PSP · Reader · S/PDIF · SDDS · SXRD · Sony Tablet · UMD · VAIO · Video8/Hi8/Digital8 · Walkman · Walkman Phones · XDCAM · Xplōd Historical products Electronics MusicSony Music Entertainment · Sony/ATV Music Publishing (50%) · Columbia Records · Epic Records · RCA Records · Sony Music Nashville (Arista Nashville, BNA Records, Columbia Nashville, RCA Records Nashville) · Provident Label Group · Verity Gospel Music Group · Sony Music Latin · Sony Masterworks · Legacy Recordings · RED Distribution · IODA · Syco Music · Syco TV · Syco Film · Sony Music Australia · Sony Music Japan · Gracenote Motion pictures
and televisionSony Pictures Entertainment · Columbia Pictures · Sony Pictures Classics · Screen Gems · TriStar Pictures · Triumph Films · Destination Films · Stage 6 Films · Affirm Films · Sony Pictures Television · Adelaide Productions · Culver Entertainment · Embassy Row · The Minisode Network · 2waytraffic · Sony Pictures Home Entertainment · Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions · Sony Wonder · Sony Pictures Family Entertainment Group · Sony Pictures Digital · (Sony Pictures Imageworks · Sony Pictures Animation · Sony Pictures Mobile) · Sony Pictures Studios · Crackle · Aniplex · A-1 Pictures
U.S. networks International networksSony Entertainment Television (Asia, South East Asia, India, Latin America, South Africa, Portugal, Russia, Spain and United Kingdom) · AXN · AXN HD · AXN HD+1 · AXN Asia · AXN India · AXN Pakistan · AXN Crime · AXN Beyond · AXN Black · AXN Mystery · AXN Sci-Fi · Sony Aath · Multi Screen Media · Animax · Animax Asia · Animax India · Animax Pakistan · Animax Korea · Animax Eastern Europe · SET One · SET Max · SET PIX · SAB TV Video games Financial services Other businessesSo-net Entertainment · Sony Broadcast & Professional Research Laboratories · Sony Entertainment Network Other assets Joint ventures Key personnel
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Crackle — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Crackle, Inc. Eslogan Your online TV network with new episodes daily.(en inglés) Tipo Subsidiaria de Sony Pictures Entertainment, Inc. Fundación Julio del 2007 … Wikipedia Español
Crackle — Crac kle, n. 1. The noise of slight and frequent cracks or reports; a crackling. [1913 Webster] The crackle of fireworks. Carlyle. [1913 Webster] 2. (Med.) A kind of crackling sound or r[^a]le, heard in some abnormal states of the lungs; as, dry… … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
Crackle — Crac kle (kr[a^]k k l), v. i. [Dim. of crack.] To make slight cracks; to make small, sharp, sudden noises, rapidly or frequently repeated; to crepitate; as, burning thorns crackle. [1913 Webster] The unknown ice that crackles underneath them.… … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
crackle — (v.) mid 15c., crackelen, frequentative of cracken to crack. Related: Crackled; crackling. The noun is recorded from 1833 … Etymology dictionary
crackle — ► VERB ▪ make a rapid succession of slight cracking noises. ► NOUN 1) a crackling sound. 2) a pattern of minute surface cracks. DERIVATIVES crackly adjective … English terms dictionary
crackle — [krak′əl] vi. crackled, crackling [ME crakelen, freq. of craken,CRACK1] 1. to make a succession of slight, sharp, popping sounds, as of dry wood burning 2. to be bursting with energy and vivacity 3. to develop a finely cracked surface vt … English World dictionary
crackle — UK [ˈkræk(ə)l] / US verb [intransitive] Word forms crackle : present tense I/you/we/they crackle he/she/it crackles present participle crackling past tense crackled past participle crackled 1) to make continuous short sounds like the sound of… … English dictionary
crackle — crack|le [ krækl ] verb intransitive 1. ) to make continuous short sounds like the sound of wood burning: The radio began to crackle. 2. ) to be full of something such as nervousness or excitement: The atmosphere crackled with expectation. ╾… … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
crackle — [[t]kræ̱k(ə)l[/t]] crackles, crackling, crackled VERB If something crackles, it makes a rapid series of short, harsh noises. The radio crackled again. [V ing] ...a crackling fire. N COUNT Crackle is also a noun. ...the crackle of flames and… … English dictionary
crackle — I. verb (crackled; crackling) Etymology: frequentative of 1crack Date: circa 1560 intransitive verb 1. a. to make small sharp sudden repeated noises < the fire crackles on the hearth > b. to show ani … New Collegiate Dictionary