- Red banana
Musa acuminata 'Red Dacca'
Red banana plant from Tanzania showing fruits and inflorescence.
Details Species Musa acuminata Cultivar group AAA Group (Cavendish group) Cultivar 'Red Dacca' Origin West Indies and Central America
Red bananas, also known as Red Dacca bananas in Australia, are a variety of banana with reddish-purple skin. They are smaller and plumper than the common Cavendish banana. When ripe, raw red bananas have a flesh that is cream to light pink in color. They are also softer and sweeter than the yellow Cavendish varieties, with a slight raspberry-banana flavor. Many red bananas are imported from producers in Asia and South America. They are a favorite in Central America but are sold throughout the world.
Taxonomy and nomenclature
Its official designation is Musa acuminata Colla (AAA Group) cv. 'Red Dacca'.
- Musa acuminata Colla (AAA Group) cv. 'Red'
- Musa sapientum L. f. rubra Bail.
- Musa sapientum L. var. rubra (Firm.) Baker
- Musa rubra Wall. ex Kurz.
- Musa × paradisiaca L. ssp. sapientum (L.) Kuntze var. rubra
- Musa acuminata Colla (AAA Group) cv. 'Cuban Red'
- Musa acuminata Colla (Cavendish Group) cv. 'Cuban Red'
- Musa acuminata Colla (AAA Group) cv. 'Red Jamaican'
- Musa acuminata Colla (AAA Group) cv. 'Jamaican Red'
- Musa acuminata Colla (AAA Group) cv. 'Spanish Red'.
It is known in English as Red dacca, Red banana, Claret banana, Cavendish banana "Cuban Red", Jamaican red banana, and Red cavendish banana. It is also known under a variety of common names in other countries, including the following:
- Burmers: Shwe nget pyaw.
- Chinese: Hong guo jiao.
- Danish: Kubabanan, Aeblebanan, Rød banan.
- Dutch: Rode banaan, Cubabanaan.
- French: Figue rose (Guadeloupe, Martinique), Figue rouge (Haiti), Figue rouge-vin, Figue violette (Guadeloupe), Bacove violette (French Guiana), Banane rouge, Banane violette, Banane de Cuba
- German: Weinrote Banane, Kuba Banane
- Hindi: Lal kela, Lal kera, Chenkadali
- Indonesia: Pisang Susu Merah
- Italian: Banana rosa, Banana di Cuba
- Japanese: Baracoa
- Malaysian: Pisang raja udang
- Portuguese: Banana roxa (Brazil), Bananeira roxa, Banana vermelha
- Sinhalese: Rathambala
- Spanish: Banano color clarete, Tafetan (Colombia), Tafetan morado (Colombia), Guineo morado (Cuba), Colorado (Puerto Rico), Platano colorado
- Tagalog: Morado
- Tamil: Sevvazhai செவ்வாழை
- Thai: Klue nak
Red bananas should have a deep red or maroon rind when ripe, and are best eaten when unbruised and slightly soft. The redder the fruit, the more carotene and the higher the vitamin C level. As with yellow bananas, red bananas will ripen in a few days at room temperature and are best stored outside refrigeration.
Red bananas are eaten in the same way as yellow bananas, by peeling the fruit before eating. They are frequently eaten raw, whole or chopped, and added to desserts and fruit salads, but can also be baked, fried and toasted. Red bananas are also commonly sold dried in stores.
The first bananas to appear on the market in Toronto (in the 1870s and 1880s) were red bananas. Red bananas are available year round at specialty markets and larger supermarkets in the United States.
- Panama disease
- ^ Michel H. Porcher; Prof. Snow Barlow (19/07/2002). "Sorting Musa names". The University of Melbourne, . http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Musa.html. Retrieved 11 January 2011.
- ^ "Red Bananas Fruit Profile". Chiquita Bananas. http://www.chiquitabananas.com/Banana-Information/type-red-bananas-manzanos.aspx.
- ^ John V McAree (1953) The Cabbagetown Store (Toronto: Ryerson Press) p. 19.
- ^ Encanto Farms: Red Dacca
Bananas and Plantains Cultivars Cultivar groups
AA group · AAA group (Cavendish group) · AAA-EA subgroup (East African Highland bananas) · AAAA group · AAAB group · AAA group (Plantain group) · AABB group · AB group · ABB group · ABBB group · BB Group · BBB Group
Culinary usage Related topics
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Banana Yoshimoto — (jap. よしもと ばなな Yoshimoto Banana, * 24. Juli 1964 in Tokio) ist eine japanische Schriftstellerin. Ihr wirklicher Name lautet Mahoko Yoshimoto (吉本 真秀子 Yoshimoto Mahoko). Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Leben und Wirken 2 Werke … Deutsch Wikipedia
Banana Bat — Conservation status Vulnerable (IUCN 3.1) Scientific classification Kingdom … Wikipedia
Red delicious — Pomme Red Delicious … Wikipédia en Français
Banana Climbing Mouse — Conservation status Least Concern (IUCN 3.1) Scientific classification … Wikipedia
Banana ketchup — or banana sauce is a prepared condiment made from banana fruit mashed, with sugar, vinegar, and spices, and sometimes colored with red food coloring to look more like tomato ketchup. Banana ketchup is made in the Philippines, Hawaii, and the West … Wikipedia
Banana Pipistrelle — Conservation status Least Concern (IUCN 3.1) Scientific classification Kin … Wikipedia
Red-footed tortoise — Conservation status Endangered ( … Wikipedia
Red Savina pepper — Red Savina A Red Savina habanero, at near optimum ripeness. Note characteristic deep red color. Details Species … Wikipedia
Red Spiny Rat — Conservation status Least Concern (IUCN 2.3) … Wikipedia
Red-bellied Mosaic-tailed Rat — Conservation status Vulnerable (IUCN 2.3) Scientific classification … Wikipedia