- Maibara, Shiga
— City — shinkansen streaks past Mt. Ibuki before reaching Maibara Station. Shiga Coordinates: Coordinates: Country Japan Region Kansai Prefecture Shiga Area – Total 250.46 km2 (96.7 sq mi) Population (2010) – Total 40,349 – Density 161/km2 (417/sq mi) Time zone Japan Standard Time (UTC+9) Phone number 0749-52-1551 Address 3-3 Shimotara, Maibara-shi, Shiga-ken
Website City of Maibara
As of August 1, 2006, the city has an estimated population of 42,154. The total area is 223.1 km².
Maibara was founded on February 14, 2005 upon the merging of the former towns of Maihara, Santō, and Ibuki in Sakata district. The adjacent town of Ōmi merged with Maibara on October 1, 2005. The new city name was based on the name of Japan Railways' Maibara Station which many people in Japan knew as a bullet train station on the Tōkaidō Shinkansen Line.
The city is in the northeast region of Shiga Prefecture. Its area occupies 5.1% of Shiga's total land area. The west end of the city fronts Lake Biwa, while the mountainous east side borders on Sekigahara, Gifu Prefecture.
Mt. Ibuki is in the north-eastern part of the prefecture and is Maibara's most prominent landmark and designated as one of Japan's 100 most famous peaks. The Anegawa River and Amanogawa River empty into Lake Biwa, and about 70 percent of the city comprises forest land. The city thus boasts an abundance of water and greenery.
Maibara is mainly served by the JR Tōkaidō Line along which you can find Kashiwabara, Ōmi-Nagaoka, Samegai, and Maibara Stations. Maibara Station is also a shinkansen bullet train station. From Tokyo, Maibara can be reached in about two and a half hours via bullet train.
The city has a number of major sightseeing spots:
- Mt. Ibuki - With an elevation of 1,377.4 meters, Mt. Ibuki is Shiga Prefecture's tallest mountain and a popular spot for skiing in winter and camping and hiking in the warmer months. A gondola and ski lifts carry you toward the top which affords fine views of Lake Biwa and the surrounding area. The nearest station is Omi-Nagaoka Station.
- Samegai Trout Farm - Established over a century ago, this is the largest trout farm in Asia and with many trout ponds. There is also a shallow pond where children can try catch (and release) the trout. Riverside restaurants also serve fresh trout.
- Nakasendō stage towns - The Nakasendō was an old highway linking Kyoto with Edo (present-day Tokyo). The highway had 67 stages and three of them were Kashiwabara, Samegai and Bamba in Maibara city. Even today, you can see remnants of these old stage towns established for highway travelers to lodge and trade.
- Amanogawa River - In June, fireflies come out at night. Parts of the river are designated as a protected areas for fireflies.
- Lake Biwa - The lakeshore road is very scenic on fine days.
Festivals & events
- Samegai Baikamo Flowers - Underwater flowers which bloom in Jizogawa River
- Maibara Hikiyama Festival - Parade of ornate floats which have a small stage featuring kabuki performed by children. Early October.
- Official website in Japanese
Shiga Prefecture Cities Echi District Gamō District Inukami DistrictSee also: List of mergers in Shiga Prefecture
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Maibara — shi 米原市 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Maibara Station — 米原駅 West side of the station Location … Wikipedia
Maibara — 米原市 Maibara, Shiga … Wikipedia Español
Maibara — shi (米原市) Quartier de Samegai Administration Pays Japon Région Kansai Préfecture … Wikipédia en Français
Shiga Prefecture — Infobox Prefecture Japan Name = Shiga JapaneseName = 滋賀県 Rōmaji = Shiga ken Symbol = PrefSymbol Shiga.png Capital = Ōtsu Region = Kinki Island = Honshū TotalArea = 4,017.36 AreaRank = 38th PCWater = 14.0 PopDate = April 1, 2000 Population = 1,337 … Wikipedia
Shiga — Préfecture de Shiga Préfecture de Shiga · 滋賀県 Shiga ken Carte du Japon avec la Préfecture de Shiga mise en évidence. Pays Japon Capit … Wikipédia en Français
Sakata Station (Shiga) — is a train station located in the city of Maibara, Shiga Prefecture, Japan.External links*ja icon [http://www.jr odekake.net/eki/top.php?id=0541401 Sakata Station (JR West official page)] … Wikipedia
Prefectura de Shiga — Shiga 滋賀県 Shiga ken Prefectura de Japón … Wikipedia Español
Bahnhof Maibara — (März 2006) Daten Bahnsteiggleise 9 (JR) Reisen … Deutsch Wikipedia
Maihara, Shiga — Location of Maihara Maihara (米原町, Maihara chō?) was a town located in Sakata District, Shiga … Wikipedia