- Cuba, Kansas
Cuba, Kansas — City — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State Kansas County Republic Government – Type Mayor–Council Area – Total 0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2) – Land 0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2) – Water 0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2) Elevation 1,581 ft (482 m) Population (2010) – Total 156 – Density 520/sq mi (200.8/km2) Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6) – Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5) ZIP code 66940 Area code(s) 785 FIPS code 20-16625 GNIS feature ID 0472855
The city of Cuba, Kansas was founded in 1868 by American southerners traveling westward after the American Civil War. The city received its name from one settler who had once lived on the island of Cuba. Other early settlers of Cuba are Czech immigrants from Bohemia that settled in Cuba in the mid-1870s. Originally the majority of the population of Cuba were of Czech and Austrian descent.
The town has received attention due to its small town America nature documented by photographer Jim Richardson. Cuba, Kansas and Jim Richardson were highlighted on the "CBS News Sunday Morning" show in 1983 and May 9, 2004 as well as the May 2004 issue of National Geographic magazine.
Historical populations Census Pop. %± 1990 242 — 2000 231 −4.5% 2010 156 −32.5% U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 231 people, 110 households, and 72 families residing in the city. The population density was 761.0 people per square mile (297.3/km²). There were 148 housing units at an average density of 487.6 per square mile (190.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.27% White, 0.43% Native American, and 1.30% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.03% of the population.
There were 110 households out of which 23.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.2% were married couples living together, 5.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.5% were non-families. 33.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 21.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.10 and the average family size was 2.67.
In the city the population was spread out with 19.0% under the age of 18, 5.6% from 18 to 24, 21.6% from 25 to 44, 24.2% from 45 to 64, and 29.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 47 years. For every 100 females there were 94.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $28,333, and the median income for a family was $37,292. Males had a median income of $24,375 versus $17,857 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,103. About 3.1% of families and 6.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.5% of those under the age of eighteen and 9.1% of those sixty five or over.
The Cuba government consists of a mayor and five council members. The council meets the 1st Monday of each month at 7PM.
- ^ a b "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST13&prodType=table. Retrieved May 10, 2011.
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ a b c Pulling Together: 30 Years in the Life of Cuba, Kansas, Jim Richardson, National Geographic
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ Cuba - Directory of Public Officials
- USD 109, local school district
Municipalities and communities of Republic County, Kansas Cities Unincorporated
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.