- St Luke's Church, Lower Whitley
St Luke's Church, Lower Whitley
St Luke's Church, Lower Whitley
Coordinates: OS grid reference SJ 614 789 Location Lower Whitley, Cheshire Country England Denomination Anglican Website St Luke, Lower Whitley History Dedication St Luke Architecture Status Parish church Functional status Active Heritage designation Grade II* Designated 8 January 1970 Architectural type Church Specifications Materials Brown brick with sandstone dressings, grey slate roof
Bell turret of stone with slate spire
Administration Parish Lower Whitley Deanery Great Budworth Archdeaconry Chester Diocese Chester Province York Clergy Vicar(s) Revd Richard James Diggle
St Luke's Church, Lower Whitley, is in the village of Lower Whitley, in the civil parish of Whitley, Cheshire, England. The church has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Great Budworth. Its benefice is combined with those of St Peter, Aston, St Mark, Antrobus, and St Michael and All Angels, Little Leigh.
The church on this site was originally a chapel of ease in the parish of Great Budworth. Its date of foundation is not known but in the later part of the 16th century it was in a "very ruinous condition" and was rebuilt on its original foundations by Thomas Touchet. Alterations were made during the 19th century, the major ones being in 1880 when the gallery was removed from the west end, a new organ was installed on the south side, a new pulpit was installed and the font was moved. During this time a polygonal apse was added at the east end.
The church is built in brown brick with sandstone dressings; the roof is of grey slates. The plan consists of a west porch, a nave of four bays and a chancel of three bays. The sanctuary is a polygonal apse. At the northwest is a stone bell turret with a slate spire containing one bell.
The hammerbeam roof is intricately carved and is described as being "outstanding". The pews date originally from the 17th century; their ends have panels and ball finials. The stained glass dates probably from the 1860s, and is probably by Clayton and Bell. The two-manual organ was built around 1880 by Henry Willis and Company, with additions in 1907 by Rushworth and Dreaper, and alterations in 1950 by Kingsgate Davidson. The parish baptism registers begin in 1777.
- ^ a b c d "Church of St Luke, Whitley", The National Heritage List for England (English Heritage), 2011, http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1139134, retrieved 2 May 2011
- ^ Lower Whitley, St Luke, Church of England, http://www.achurchnearyou.com/lower-whitley-st-luke/, retrieved 13 October 2009
- ^ a b c Richards, Raymond (1947), Old Cheshire Churches, London: B. T Batsford, pp. 204–205
- ^ Salter, Mark (1995), The Old Parish Churches of Cheshire, Malvern: Folly Publications, p. 45, ISBN 1-871731-23-2
- ^ a b Hartwell, Claire; Hyde, Matthew; Hubbard, Edward; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2011) , Cheshire, The Buildings of England, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, pp. 439–440, ISBN 978-0-300-17043-6 }
- ^ Whitley, Lower; St. Luke, British Institute of Organ Studies, http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=H00027, retrieved 11 August 2008
- ^ "Sundial, Whitley", The National Heritage List for England (English Heritage), 2011, http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1334367, retrieved 2May 2011
- ^ Morant, Roland W. (1989), Cheshire Churches, Birkenhead: Countyvise, p. 147, ISBN 0-907768-18-0
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
St Oswald's Church, Lower Peover — St Oswald s Church, Lower Peover, from the southeast … Wikipedia
St Luke's Church, Holmes Chapel — St Luke s Church, Holmes Chapel, from the south … Wikipedia
St Luke's Church, Goostrey — St Luke s Church, Goostrey, from the south Coordinates … Wikipedia
St Luke's Church, Farnworth — St Luke s Church, Farnworth, from the south … Wikipedia
St. Luke's Church — can refer to:Australia* St. Luke s Miranda in Sydney, AustraliaCanada* St. Luke s United Church in Toronto, Ontario, CanadaEngland* St Luke s Church, Brislington, Bristol * St Luke s Church, Farnworth, Widnes, Cheshire * St Luke s Church,… … Wikipedia
Church of St Mary the Virgin, Bosley — Church of St Mary the Virgin, Bosley … Wikipedia
Church of St Mary the Virgin, Wistaston — Church of St Mary the Virgin, Wistaston, from the southwest … Wikipedia
Whitley, Cheshire — infobox UK place country = England official name= Whitley latitude= longitude= population = 540(est) shire district= Vale Royal shire county = Cheshire region= North West England constituency westminster= Tatton post town= Warrington postcode… … Wikipedia
St Peter's Church, Aston-by-Sutton — St Peter s Church, Aston by Sutton, from the southwest … Wikipedia
St Michael and All Angels Church, Little Leigh — St Michael and All Angels Church, Little Leigh, from the south … Wikipedia