- Oblivion Beckons
Oblivion Beckons Studio album by Byzantine Released January 22, 2008 Genre Groove metal
Length 53:56 Label Prosthetic Records Byzantine chronology …And They Shall Take Up Serpents
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Decibel (favorable) Allmusic  Blabbermouth 
Oblivion Beckons is the third studio album by Charleston heavy metal band Byzantine. It was released on January 22, 2008. According to vocalist Chris "OJ" Ojeda, the band "stripp[ed] down some things like the vocals for a more aggressive style and ... [went] out on a limb on some other things [they] have never tried before." Ojeda also described Oblivion Beckons as being the band's most varied album. The album reached #8 on CMJ.
- "Absolute Horizon" – 5:00
- "Nadir" – 3:41
- "Oblivion Beckons" – 3:54
- "The Gift of Discernment" - 5:29
- "Expansion and Collapse" – 3:44
- "Catalyst" – 3:36
- "Pattern Recognition" – 4:14
- "Renovatio" – 2:16
- "Centurion" - 4:23
- "Receiving End of Murder" – 4:13
- "All Hail the End Times" – 3:46
- "Deep End of Nothing" – 5:38
- "A Residual Haunting" – 4:11
- Chris "OJ" Ojeda - Vocals, Lead/Rhythm Guitar, Piano
- Tony Rohbrough - Lead/Rhythm Guitar, Keys
- Matt Wolfe - Drums, Acoustic Guitar, Lead Guitar
- Michael "Skip" Cromer - Bass, Vocals, Lead Guitar
- Charles Aaron Fisher - Producer/engineer
- Drew Mazurek - Mixing
- Allen Douches - Mastering
- "Expansion and Collapse"
- During the song "Deep End of Nothing" all four band members trade lead guitar solos since all members played guitar in previous bands before Byzantine.
- The Morse code intro that starts off the album spells out the phrase "Absolute Horizon Brings Death" 3 times.
- A common theme of death and finality is used throughout the lyrics coinciding with the fulfillment of their recording contract.
- The guitar melody at the beginning and end of "Centurion" is the haunting melody to the classic horror movie "The Howling".
- The album artwork utilizes once again the image of Tovah Miller, who was the actress in the music video for "Jeremiad" and the short performance film on the DVD "Salvation".
- ^ Decibel review
- ^ Allmusic review
- ^ Blabbermouth review
- ^ "Byzantine: Oblivion Beckons Release Date Announced". Blabbermouth.net. 2007-10-13. http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=82690. Retrieved January 17, 2008.
- ^ "CMJ Charting: Loud Rock Issue # 1042". CMJ.com. http://services.cmj.com/directory/issue/show/1042. Retrieved 2008-02-15.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Scenes From Oblivion — Infobox Film name = Scenes From Oblivion caption = director = Michael Cuenca producer = Michael Cuenca Ashlee Elfman writer = Michael Cuenca starring = Jennifer Baute Lou Wright music = The Times cinematography = Jessica Gallant editing = Scott… … Wikipedia
Byzantine (band) — Byzantine Origin Charleston, West Virginia Genres Groove metal, thrash metal, progressive metal (see below) Years active 2000–2008, 2010–present … Wikipedia
Nadir (disambiguation) — The nadir is a low or downward point of reference. Nadir may also refer to: Nadir (topography) Nadirs (autobiography), by Herta Müller The Nadir, a fictional tribe in the novel Legend and other works by David Gemmell Nadir , a song by Sadist on… … Wikipedia
Groove metal — Stylistic origins Heavy metal, hard rock, hip hop, dance music, and death metal Typical instruments … Wikipedia
…And They Shall Take Up Serpents — Infobox Album | Name = ...And They Shall Take Up Serpents Type = Album Artist = Byzantine Released = July 12 2005 Recorded = Genre = Thrash metal Groove metal Progressive metal Length = 48:20 Label = Prosthetic Records Producer = Aaron Fisher and … Wikipedia
Wikipedia:Featured article candidates — Here, we determine which articles are to be featured articles (FAs). FAs exemplify Wikipedia s very best work and satisfy the FA criteria. All editors are welcome to review nominations; please see the review FAQ. Before nominating an article,… … Wikipedia
Onslaught (comics) — Onslaught Onslaught in X Men vol. 2, #53 (June 1996). Art by Andy Kubert Publication information Publisher … Wikipedia
Spira (Final Fantasy) — Final Fantasy worlds Gaia (Final Fantasy VII) Spira (Final Fantasy X) Ivalice (Final Fantasy XII) The fictional events of the Square Enix role playing video games Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X 2 take place in a world… … Wikipedia