- United States lightship Nantucket (LV-112)
Lightship No. 112, Nantucket
Location: Boston, MA Built: 1936 Architect: Pusey & Jones NRHP Reference#: 89002464 Significant dates Added to NRHP: December 20, 1989 Designated NHL: December 20, 1989 Career (United States) Name: Nantucket Lightship LV112 Operator: United States Lighthouse Service (1936–1939)
United States Coast Guard (1939–1983)
Nantucket Lightship Preservation Inc. (1986–Present)
Builder: Pusey & Jones Cost: $300,956 Launched: 1936 In service: 1936 Out of service: 1975 Honors and
Declared National Historic Landmark in 1989 Fate: Floating museum General characteristics Type: Lightvessel Displacement: 1050 Length: 148 ft 10 in (45.36 m) Beam: 32 ft (9.8 m) Draft: 16 ft 3 in (4.95 m) Speed: 12 knots (22 km/h; 14 mph) Armament: One 3-inch (76 mm) gun (1942–1945)
The United States lightship Nantucket (LV-112), also known as Lightship No. 112, Nantucket, is a National Historic Landmark lightship that served at Lightship Nantucket position. It was the last serving lightship and at time of NHL application, one of only two capable of moving under their own power.
Her $300,000 cost, greater than that of any predecessor, was paid for by the White Star Line in compensation for the collision and sinking of a prior lightship at the Nantucket lightship position by the RMS Olympic, a sister ship to the Titanic. Seven of 11 staffing the lightship were killed. LV-112, the permanent replacement, was built to be indestructible, and outlasted all others, serving until 1983.
She was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1989. At that time the ship was primarily located in Maine, but touring along the New England Coast. An organization was seeking a permanent home for it in Portland, Maine.
She later was planned to be located permanently in Staten Island, New York but sojourned for several years at Oyster Bay, New York. Some controversy has arisen over damage to wharves and unsightliness at Oyster Bay; other locals have wanted her retained there.
She was purchased in October 2009 by the United States Lightship Museum (USLM) under the leadership of Robert Mannino, Jr. for $1 and arrived under tow in Boston Harbor on May 11, 2010. She will be restored in two phases over the next several years, a job that will cost $1 million. She is expected to be open to the public next spring.
- ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-01-23. http://nrhp.focus.nps.gov/natreg/docs/All_Data.html.
- ^ a b c d e James P. Delgado (June 30, 1989). PDF (507 KB). National Park Service. and PDF (1.09 MB)
- ^ "LIGHTSHIP NO. 112 (Nantucket)". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. 2007-09-15. http://tps.cr.nps.gov/nhl/detail.cfm?ResourceId=2089&ResourceType=Structure.
- ^ "Lightship Nantucket Told to Leave" in Oyster Bay Enterprise-Pilot, March 10, 2006
- ^ "LONG ISLAND/OYSTER BAY; Mutiny in the Harbor: One Ship Too Many", New York Times, June 4, 2006, By LINDA F. BURGHARDT.
- ^ "Supervisor may want to keep lightship afloat" January 10, 2007. New York Newsday.
- ^ Schworm, Peter (May 12, 2010). "Oldest US lightship comes home to Boston". The Boston Globe (Boston): B1, B6.
- ^ Lupkin, Sydney (August 22, 2010). "Historic Nantucket Lightship beams". The Boston Globe (Boston): B5.
- United States Coast Guard, Aids to Navigation, (Washington, DC: U. S. Government Printing Office, 1945).
- Scott T. Price. "U. S. Coast Guard Aids to Navigation: A Historical Bibliography". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office. http://www.uscg.mil/History/weblighthouses/h_lhbib.asp.
- Putnam, George R., Lighthouses and Lightships of the United States, (Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co., 1933).
- USCG Lightship Sailors Assn.
- Nantucket Lightship, at Long Island Lighthouses
- LV112 at NightBeacon.com
- The U.S. Lightship Museum's web site
U.S. National Register of Historic Places Topics Lists by statesAlabama • Alaska • Arizona • Arkansas • California • Colorado • Connecticut • Delaware • Florida • Georgia • Hawaii • Idaho • Illinois • Indiana • Iowa • Kansas • Kentucky • Louisiana • Maine • Maryland • Massachusetts • Michigan • Minnesota • Mississippi • Missouri • Montana • Nebraska • Nevada • New Hampshire • New Jersey • New Mexico • New York • North Carolina • North Dakota • Ohio • Oklahoma • Oregon • Pennsylvania • Rhode Island • South Carolina • South Dakota • Tennessee • Texas • Utah • Vermont • Virginia • Washington • West Virginia • Wisconsin • Wyoming Lists by territories Lists by associated states Other
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
United States lightship LV-117 — For other uses, see Lightship Nantucket. Career (United States) Name: Nantucket Lightship LV117 Operator … Wikipedia
Lightship Nantucket — United States lightship Nantucket (LV 112) Career … Wikipedia
Nantucket (disambiguation) — Nantucket may refer to: Nantucket, Massachusetts, an island, town and county in Massachusetts Nantucket (CDP), Massachusetts Nantucket Sound, a section of water along the coast of Massachusetts New Nantucket, the former name for Baker Island in… … Wikipedia
Pusey and Jones — The Pusey and Jones Corporation was a major ship and equipment manufacturer from 1846 to 1959. Ship building was the primary focus from 1853 until the end of World War II, when the company converted the shipyard to production of paper… … Wikipedia
Lightvessel — A lightvessel, or lightship, is a ship which acts as a lighthouse. They are used in waters that are too deep or otherwise unsuitable for lighthouse construction.cite book|first=Willard|last=Flint|title=A History of U.S.… … Wikipedia
List of shipwrecks — Contents 1 Africa 1.1 East Africa 1.2 North Africa 1.2.1 Algeria … Wikipedia
National Register of Historic Places listings in Boston, Massachusetts — Location of Boston in Massachusetts This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Boston, Massachusetts. This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places… … Wikipedia
National Register of Historic Places listings in Cumberland County, Maine — Location of Cumberland County in Maine This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Cumberland County, Maine. This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic… … Wikipedia
List of museum ships — is a comprehensive, annotated list of museum ships around the world.Ships marked (not a museum ship) do not strictly fit the definition in that article: see also List of classic vessels for non museum classic ships. The ships are arranged… … Wikipedia
Uriel Sebree — Infobox Military Person name=Uriel Sebree born=birth date|1848|2|20 died=death date and age|1922|8|6|1848|2|20 placeofbirth=Fayette, Missouri placeofdeath=Coronado, California caption=Rear Admiral Uriel Sebree nickname= allegiance=United States… … Wikipedia