- Canyon Creek, Austin, Texas
Canyon Creek is a residential neighborhood located in far northwest
Austin, Texas. The neighborhood is located in ZIP Code 78726 and is bordered by Farm To Market 2222 (FM2222) on the south, Ranch Road 620 North (RR620) on the west, Anderson Mill Road on the north, and a major headwater tributary of Bull Creek to the east as well as the Balcones Canyonland Preserve. The preserve gives the neighborhood of over 1300 homes a semi-rural feeling despite being less than four miles to major shopping and employment centers. The major bisecting road is Boulder Lane, which winds its way through the picturesque, upper-middle class neighborhood of single-family homes. Boulder Lane is a loop, and crosses RR620 in two places (north and south entrances). The neighborhood is approximately 5 miles from Lake Travisand Lake Austin. Ranch Road 620 runs into the new toll roads of 41 at Lakeline Mall. Fast ways to get downtown is by taking 620 to 183 and going south. Another fast route is taking 620 to 2222 and then onto 360 to the left or the right. Right will take you to Gateway Theater on 183. Left will take you out to southern Austin and that is also a good route to the airport and San Antonio.
Canyon Creek was former ranch and hunting land, and was developed by the Blanton Company in the wake of the savings and loan meltdown in the United States in the late 1980's. Perry Blanton and his company envisioned and developed a completely planned community filled with parks, hike and bike trails. It contains significant protected habitat for the
Golden-cheeked_Warblerand black-capped vireo, two endangered species of bird. The neighborhood developed rapidly in the 1990's, and was completely built out by 2005. In the mid-1990's, residents led by Alan R. Weissand others pushed for an elementary school, which was granted by Round Rock Independent School District (Weiss later served on the Municipal Utility District Board and the Homeowners Association).
Canyon Creek is served by two School Districts:
Roundrock Independent School District (RRISD)
* Canyon Creek Elementary School, a National Blue Ribbon school (Round Rock Independent School District)
* Grisham Middle School, Resently recongnized as an International Baccalaurate World School (IB) Principal is Mary Brinkman and the school has over 700 students. Also students are able to learn French, Spanish and German starting in 7th grade.
* Westwood High School, an Exemplary high school ranked number 78 in the U.S. News and WorldReport survey in 2006
Leander Independent School District
* Grandview Hills Elementary School
* Canyon Ridge Middle School
* Cedar Park High School
Canyon Creek has nearby private schools:
* Hill Country Bible School (K-12)
* Summit Christian Academy (K-12)
* Concordia-Lutheran University (4 year, private, on the grounds of the former Schlumberger (now addressed as Concordia Drive) corporate campus; opens fall 2008)
Nearby religious institutions include:
* Church at Canyon Creek (Southern Baptist Convention)
* St. Thomas More Catholic Church (Austin Diocese, Catholic)
* Hill Country Bible Church (Bible)
* Cypress Creek Community Church (Missionary Church-USA, on the grounds of Summit Christian Academy, Cedar Park)
* Live Oak Unitarian-Universalist Church (UU, Cedar Park)
* Dell Jewish Community Center Campus (containing both conservative and reform Jewish synagogues)
* Peace Lutheran Church (Lutheran, Missouri Synod)
Lakeline Mall is less than four miles away, and three large grocery supermarkets (HEB, HEB-Plus, and Wal-Mart) are within two miles.
The neighborhood is notable for having two parks (Homeowners Association Park and Trailhead Park), enormous protected lands surrounding it, close proximity to Austin high technology employers, and a surprisingly diverse population of Anglos, East Asians (primarily Chinese), Asian-Indians, and an active political community.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Austin, Texas — Austin redirects here. For other uses, see Austin (disambiguation). City of Austin City Downtown skyline as seen from Lady Bird Lake … Wikipedia
Canyon Creek — may refer to: *Canyon Creek, Texas, a neighborhood in Austin *Canyon Creek (Oregon), a creek … Wikipedia
Texas locations by per capita income — Texas is the thirty second richest state in the United States of America, with a per capita income of $19,617 (2000).Texas counties ranked by per capita incomeThere are 254 counties located in Texas, three of which are in the 100 richest counties … Wikipedia
Texas–Indian Wars — The Texas Indian Wars were a series of conflicts between settlers in Texas and Plains Indians. These conflicts began when the first settlers moved into Spanish Texas, and continued through Texas s time as part of Mexico, as its own nation,… … Wikipedia
Texas — 31° N 100° W / 31, 100 … Wikipédia en Français
List of high schools in Texas — Contents 1 Anderson County 2 Andrews County 3 Angelina County 4 … Wikipedia
Cooper High School (Abilene, Texas) — O.H. Cooper High School Location Abilene, Texas United States Information Type Public, co educational Established … Wikipedia
Histoire du Texas — Carte des États unis avec le Texas en rouge Cet article résume les faits saillants de l histoire de l État américain du Texas. Le Texas est un État du Sud des États Unis, le plus vaste du pays (696 241 km²) après l Alaska et le deuxième … Wikipédia en Français
Liste des parcs d'État du Texas — Colorado Bend … Wikipédia en Français
October 1998 Central Texas floods — Estimated rainfall totals from the United States Geological Survey. Formed October 17, 1998 … Wikipedia