- Fat fetishism
Fat fetishism is the strong or exclusive sexual attraction to overweight or obese people. As well as traditional attraction, the topic also incorporates feederism and gaining, where sexual gratification is obtained via the process of gaining body fat. Fat fetishism also incorporates stuffing and padding, whereas the focus of arousal is on the sensations and properties of a real or simulated gain.
A 2009 study found that heterosexual male fat admirers preferred females that were clinically overweight and rated both overweight and obese women more positively than slighter individuals. The study also found that participants reacted positively to a much wider range of figures than a control group, even rating emaciated figures higher. It concludes "these findings suggest that an explanation for fat admiration may be that FAs are rejecting sociocultural norms of attractiveness".
Though sometimes considered a sexual preference, within the context of sexual fetishism, Fat Admiration or Chubby-Chasing describes sexual relationships where both members obtain gratification from being and or being with an overweight or obese partner. This fetish is characterized by the use of terms and abbreviations to describe different roles amongst members of the community. These include BBW, BHM, Chub, FA, FFA, and Chaser (which are explained below).
Padding refers to the practice of padding or layering clothing in such a way that it simulates a distended abdomen, for the purposes of arousal, and is often used as a form of experimentation with increased size, but can also be a form of role play.
Inflation refers to the practice of inflating (typically with air or liquid), until the abdomen is distended, in such a way that it simulates a stuffing or bloating, but without food.
Stuffing or bloating refers to the practice of eating until the abdomen is distended. The act of stuffing can cause arousal, perhaps due to the pressure within the body upon the sexual organs. Also, as the swollen belly can mimic pregnancy, which is arousing to maiesiophiles.
Gaining refers to the relationship between gainers and encouragers, where one or both members engage in activities designed to promote the gaining of body fat. Often considered synonymous with feederism, the term is used more primarily in the gay male nomenclature, but is not exclusive to gay males in practice. Categorically, gaining differs from feeding in the way weight gain is approached. For some, gaining focuses on being encouraged, while for others gaining is done individually - sometimes both.
Feederism describes sexual relationships where both members obtain gratification from the gaining of body fat. Feederism refers to the acts of feeding, encouraging eating, or being served large quantities of food. Sexual pleasure is derived from the act of eating itself, and/or from the process of becoming fatter. Pleasure may be derived from specific changes to specific areas of the body.
The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance specifically condemns feederism, claiming that the practice typically involves coercing a person to become larger. NAAFA compares this to the practice of coercing a person to become thinner and instead focuses on acceptance.
Immobility refers to the state in which someone has either given up walking and exercise in order to gain more weight quicker, usually by sitting in the same place without moving for days, weeks or months and eating nonstop, or where a feedee, foodee or gainer (sometimes even people outside of the FA community, with eating disorders) becomes so heavy that movement is either impossible or impractical (examples include extreme slowness, difficulty fitting through door frames, and difficulty with climbing stairs).
Several terms refer to the roles adopted within the culture:
- BBW (Big Beautiful Woman): an overweight woman who identifies as a BBW. Not all fat women identify as BBWs or want to be referred to as such.
- SSBBW (Super-Sized Big Beautiful Woman): an obese woman, typically much larger than a BBW.
- BigMomma (Large Mother): an overweight or 'big' mother who is referred to in such a way as to infer that she is well rounded.
- BBBW (Big Beautiful Black Woman): an overweight black woman(also SSBBBW).
- BBT or BBTeen: a fat female or male teenager.
- BHM (Big Handsome Man): an overweight man.
- SSBHM (Super-Sized Big Handsome Man): an obese man, typically much larger than a BHM.
- FA (Fat Admirer): a person who has preference for fat partners. Typically used to refer to male fat admirers.
- FFA (Female Fat Admirer)
- Bear: See corresponding article[vague].
- Chub: an overweight gay man.
- Superchub: an obese gay man.
- Chubby Chaser: a man who is of smaller body size and/or stature who is sexually or romantically attracted to chubs or bears.
- Bloater: A person who fantasizes about bloating or stuffing, or enjoys the sensation of bloating of stuffing for sexual pleasure.
- Inflater: A person who fantasizes about inflation, or enjoys the sensation of inflation for sexual pleasure.
- Padder: A person who derives pleasure from padding or layering clothing, or enjoys the apparent sensation of a simulated increase in size.
- Gainer: A person who gains weight for sexual pleasure.
- Encourager: A person who derives pleasure from encouraging or persuading a gainer to become fatter.
- Maintainer: A person who is overweight and strives to remain so.
- Feedee: A person who derives pleasure from being fed.
- Feeder: A person who derives pleasure from feeding another person.
- Foodee: A person who fantasizes about eating, or enjoys eating for sexual pleasure.
Relation to fat admiration
Some people consider Fat Admiration to be fetishistic, while others feel that their attraction to bigger people is at most a strong preference, but not a fetish. Bears and Chubs often share similar sentiments.
Relation to fat acceptance movement
Some people involved in the fat acceptance movement argue that fat fetishism undermines social movements towards fat acceptance, through counter-productive objectification and dehumanization of fat people. They argue that often, fat fetishists (specifically feeders) derive sexual pleasure from increasing immobility, disability, or helplessness in the fat person through weight gain. Some people take issue with the coercion which is sometimes involved in fat fetishism.
NAAFA draws a distinction between fat fetishism and fat admiration: NAAFA states that "a preference for a fat partner is as valid as any other preference based on physical characteristics", but also condemns feederism as coercive. NAAFA advocate that people "celebrate the current weight of their partner as one aspect of the whole person".
- Fat acceptance movement
- Big Beautiful Women
- Chub (gay culture)
- Bear (gay slang)
- Hogging (sexual practice)
- ^ a b Swami, Viren; Tovee, Martin J. (1). "Big beautiful women: the body size preferences of male fat admirers.". The Journal of Sex Research. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Big+beautiful+women:+the+body+size+preferences+of+male+fat+admirers-a0196534094. Retrieved 25 November 2010.
- ^ a b c NAAFA Policy. "Feederism". http://www.naafaonline.com/dev2//about/Policies/FEEDERISM.pdf. Retrieved 2007-04-08.
- ^ NAAFA Policy. "Fat Admirers". http://www.naafaonline.com/dev2//about/Policies/FATADMIRERS.pdf. Retrieved 2007-04-08.
- Giovanelli, Dina and Natalie Peluso. 2006. "Feederism: a new sexual pleasure and subculture". Pp 309–314 in The Handbook of New Sexuality Studies. Edited by Steven Seidman. Oxford, UK: Routledge.
- In the RTE TV series Katherine Lynch's Wonderwoman, one of the characters had a Polish boyfriend who chose a larger woman over her and she referred to him as a feeder by saying "I'd only landed myself with a bleeding feeder."
- Kathleen LeBesco. 2004. Revolting Bodies?: The Struggle to Redefine Fat Identity. Univ of Massachusetts Press. ISBN 1558494294
- Don Kulick and Anne Meneley. 2005. Fat: The Anthropology of an Obsession. ISBN 1585423866
Sexual fetishism Actions, states Body Clothing Objects Controversial/Illegal
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Fat Admiration — is the attraction of an individual to people who are overweight or obese, whose bodies have what may be considered excessive adipose tissue. It is also known as adipophilia The object of desire may be male or female. An individual s attraction… … Wikipedia
Pregnancy fetishism — (also known as maiesiophilia or maieusophoria) is a term used to describe the contexts in which pregnancy is seen by individuals and cultures as an erotic phenomenon. It may involve sexual attraction to women who are pregnant or appear… … Wikipedia
Sexual fetishism — Classification and external resources Foot fetishism is one of the most common fetishes ICD 10 F … Wikipedia
Medical fetishism — The attraction to nurses and their uniforms is a common example of a medical fetish. Medical fetishism refers to a collection of sexual fetishes for objects, practices, environments, and situations of a medical or clinical nature. This may… … Wikipedia
Diaper fetishism — A bag of Abena X Plus diapers Diaper fetishism, nappy fetishism or diaperism, is a sexual fetish in which a person feels a desire to wear or use diapers. This is normally not due to a medical need. Diaper fetishism is independent from… … Wikipedia
Spandex fetishism — Spandex Zentai suit Spandex fetishism is a fetishistic attraction to people wearing stretch fabrics. Spandex garments are often worn by swimmers, dancers, rowers, contortionists and circus performers, and spandex fetishists may incorporate… … Wikipedia
Robot fetishism — An Actroid manufactured by Kokoro Company Ltd. Robot fetishism (also ASFR or technosexuality) is a fetishistic attraction to humanoid robots; also to people acting like robots or people dressed in robot costumes. A less common fantasy involves … Wikipedia
Breast fetishism — (also known as mastofact, breast partialism, or mazophilia) is a type of sexual fetish which involves a sexual interest in female breasts. Debate exists on whether the modern widespread sexual attraction to breasts among heterosexual males of… … Wikipedia
Navel fetishism — Closeup of female innie navel Navel fetishism is a sexual fetish in which an individual is attracted to the human navel. … Wikipedia
Smoking fetishism — Vintage erotic photograph featuring a model smoking. Smoking fetishism (also known as capnolagnia) is a sexual fetish based on the sight or image of a person smoking. For many, the fetish appears to have had its roots in early childhood. It is… … Wikipedia