- Meteor Music Awards
Meteor Award 2010 Meteor Awards Awarded for Achievements in the Irish and international record industry Location Point Theatre, Dublin (2001–2007)
RDS, Dublin (2008–present)
Country Ireland First awarded 2001 Official website http://www.themeteors.ie/
The Meteor Ireland Music Awards (referred to colloquially as "The Meteors", though occasionally referred to by its full title) are a group of music awards in Ireland. Apart from 2011, they have been held every year since 2001, replacing the IRMA Ireland Music Awards held in the 1990s, and are promoted by MCD Productions.
The Meteor Ireland Music Awards are the equivalent to the Canada's Juno Award's, the United States Grammy Awards, the Echo Awards in Germany and the United Kingdoms BRIT Awards. The awards take their name from their sponsors, Meteor.
Each year there is a mix of live performances and award presentations at a ceremony conducted in the Point Theatre, Dublin (2001–2007) and the RDS, Dublin (2008–present). Irish artists to have showcased their music include Snow Patrol, Sinéad O'Connor, U2, Bell X1, Aslan, Westlife, The Blizzards, The Frames, The Coronas, Director, Hothouse Flowers, Cathy Davey, The Devlins, The Thrills, Paddy Casey and The Immediate, whilst previous live performances by international artists have included the Pussycat Dolls, Amy Winehouse, Sugababes, Counting Crows, The Darkness, Kaiser Chiefs, Lionel Richie and Tom Jones.
Those to have presented awards to recipients include both Irish and international figures from music, sport, film, television and beauty, such as Joe Elliott, Denis Hickie, Colin Farrell, Alex Zane and Rosanna Davison. The award ceremony has been hosted by a number of different personalities throughout its history; these include Ed Byrne, Patrick Kielty, Amanda Byram, Podge and Rodge alongside Deirdre O'Kane and Dara Ó Briain, who has performed the role on at least three occasions, most recently in 2008.
- Meteor Ireland Music Awards 2010
- Meteor Ireland Music Awards 2009
- Meteor Ireland Music Awards 2008
- Meteor Ireland Music Awards 2007
- Meteor Ireland Music Awards 2006
- Meteor Ireland Music Awards 2005
- Meteor Ireland Music Awards 2004
- Meteor Ireland Music Awards 2003
Recipients by year
A list of winners is to be found on the Meteor website.
Year Male Female Band Album Live Performance 2001 David Gray Whitney Houston - White Ladder n/a 2002 Robbie Williams Dido Stereophonics Is This It Red Hot Chili Peppers 2003 Eminem Avril Lavigne Coldplay By the Way Red Hot Chili Peppers 2004 Justin Timberlake Beyoncé The Darkness Elephant Red Hot Chili Peppers 2005 Morrissey PJ Harvey Franz Ferdinand Franz Ferdinand The Killers 2006 Kanye West Gwen Stefani Kaiser Chiefs Employment n/a 2007 Justin Timberlake Lily Allen Scissor Sisters Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not n/a 2008 Bruce Springsteen Amy Winehouse Arcade Fire Neon Bible Muse 2009 James Morrison Duffy Elbow Only by the Night Leonard Cohen 2010 Michael Bublé Lady GaGa Florence and the Machine Sunny Side Up Leonard Cohen
Award ceremonies by year
Ceremony Date Venue Broadcast date Host Best Irish Band Lifetime Achievement Industry Award 2001 Point Theatre, Dublin U2 Christy Moore Louis Walsh 2002 Point Theatre, Dublin U2 Paul McGuinness n/a 2003 Point Theatre, Dublin Dara Ó Briain U2 Bob Geldof Phil Coulter 2004 1 March 2004 Point Theatre, Dublin 3 March 2004, 21:00 Dara Ó Briain The Frames The Dubliners Dave Fanning 2005 24 February 2005 Point Theatre, Dublin Ed Byrne Snow Patrol Aslan John Hughes 2006 2 February 2006 Point Theatre, Dublin 5 February 2006, 21:00 Patrick Kielty U2 The Pogues Bill Whelan 2007 1 February 2007 Point Theatre, Dublin 4 February 2007, 21:00 Deirdre O'Kane & Podge and Rodge Snow Patrol Clannad Larry Gogan 2008 15 February 2008 RDS, Dublin 16 February 2008, 21:00 Dara Ó Briain Aslan The Saw Doctors Jim Aiken 2009 17 March 2009 RDS, Dublin 18 March 2009, 21:00 Amanda Byram The Script Sharon Shannon Niall Stokes 2010 19 February 2010 RDS, Dublin 21 February 2010, 21.00 Amanda Byram Snow Patrol Brian Kennedy Henry Mountcharles 
- ^ "Meteor Awards cancelled for 2011". RTE. 2011-1-10. http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0110/meteorawards.html. Retrieved 2011-1-10.
- ^ O'Connell, Siobhán (24 February 2011). "Loyalty to Irish newspapers still evident". The Irish Times. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0224/1224290732479.html. Retrieved 24 February 2011. "There are no Meteor Music Awards this year after the mobile phone operator decided to cease sponsoring the event. However, the brand, which is 10 years old, says the awards will return in 2012, with Meteor as the primary sponsor. The televised awards were Meteor's most visible sponsorship and tied in with the company's strategy of recruiting younger customers."
- ^ "Irish singer Imelda May performs on Grammys". Taiwan News. 2010-02-01. http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_content.php?id=1170024&lang=eng_news. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r Meteor Ireland Music Awards Past Winners. Meteor. Accessed 14 March 2009.
- ^ a b c 2001 Winners. IRMA. Accessed 14 March 2009.
- ^ "Farrell to appear at Meteor Awards". BreakingNews.ie. 2004-02-28. http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2003/02/28/story90021.asp. Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- ^ "Meteor Awards winners announced". BreakingNews.ie. 2004-03-01. http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2004/03/01/story136540.asp. Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- ^ a b c "Meteor Music Awards nominations announced". RTÉ. 2005-01-11. http://www.rte.ie/arts/2005/0111/meteormusicawards.html. Retrieved 2009-03-14.
- ^ a b c "Three wins for U2 at Meteor Awards". RTÉ. 2006-02-03. http://www.rte.ie/arts/2006/0203/meteormusicawards.html. Retrieved 2007-12-14.
- ^ "Meteor Award nominations announced". RTÉ. 2005-11-23. http://www.rte.ie/arts/2005/1123/meteorawards.html. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- ^ a b "Snow Patrol steal the limelight from top acts". Irish Independent. 2007-02-02. http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/news-gossip/snow-patrol-steal-the-limelight-from-top-acts-52787.html. Retrieved 2009-02-10.
- ^ "Snow Patrol win four Meteor awards". The Irish Times. 2007-02-01. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2007/0201/breaking89.htm. Retrieved 2007-12-14.
- ^ "Home". RTÉ. 2007-02-04. http://www.rte.ie/tv/meteormusicawards/. Retrieved 2008-11-12.
- ^ a b "Stars out for the Meteors". RTÉ. 2008-02-16. http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0216/meteor.html. Retrieved 2008-02-17.
- ^ a b c "2009 Meteor Awards to be held St Patrick's Day at RDS". The Belfast Telegraph. 2009-01-28. http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/ireland/2009-meteor-awards-to-be-held-st-patricks-day-at-rds-14160560.html. Retrieved 2009-01-28.
- ^ "Top accolade for The Script". The Irish Times. 2009-03-17. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0317/breaking45.htm. Retrieved 2009-03-17.
- ^ "Sharon Shannon to receive major award". The Irish Times. 2009-01-28. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0128/breaking55.html. Retrieved 2009-02-03.
- ^ "Guest presenters join Meteors line-up". Hot Press. 2009-03-11. http://www.hotpress.com/news/5296785.html. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- ^ a b c "All-star lineup announced for Meteors". RTÉ. 2010-01-07. http://www.rte.ie/arts/2010/0107/meteors.html. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- ^ "Kennedy to receive Lifetime Achievement Award at Meteors". Hot Press. 2010-01-15. http://www.hotpress.com/Brian%20Kennedy/news/Kennedy-to-receive-Lifetime-Achievement-Award-at-Meteors/6156251.html. Retrieved 2010-01-22.
- ^ "Mount Charles lands music industry gong". Hot Press. 2010-01-22. http://www.hotpress.com/Meteor%20Awards/news/Mount-Charles-lands-music-industry-gong/6170570.html. Retrieved 2010-01-22.
- Official website
- Site of MCD – awards promoters
- List of winners through the years
- Highlights of 2006 Awards sponsored by eircom
- Photos (2002 awards) at ShowBiz Ireland
Music industry Companies and
Record labels Record company divisions Production Genres Release formats AwardsAmerican Music Award · ARIA Music Awards · Brit Awards · Choice Music Prize · Classic Brit Awards · Diapason d'Or · Echo Award · Golden Disk Awards · Grammy Award · Grand Prix du Disque · Juno Award · Latin Grammy Awards · Meteor Music Awards · MTV Europe Music Awards · MTV Video Music Awards · MuchMusic Video Awards · Music of Black Origin Awards · New Zealand Music Awards · NRJ Music Award · TEC Awards · World Music Awards Charts Sales certifications Publications Retailers Television Other
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Meteor Music Awards — 10e cérémonie des Meteor Music Awards Prix remis Excellence en musique Description Cérémonie musicale Organisateur The Meteors Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Meteor (disambiguation) — A meteor, commonly called a shooting star and falling star, is the visible trace of a meteoroid as it enters the atmosphere. If it survives impact with the Earth s surface, then it is called a meteorite. Meteorology, the study of weather, is… … Wikipedia
Music industry — The music industry or music business sells compositions, recordings and performances of music. Among the many individuals and organizations that operate within the industry are the musicians who compose and perform the music; the companies and… … Wikipedia
Music publisher (popular music) — In the music industry, a music publisher (or publishing company) is responsible for ensuring the songwriters and composers receive payment when their compositions are used commercially. Through an agreement called a publishing contract, a… … Wikipedia
Music executive — A music executive or record executive is person within a record label who works in senior management, making executive decisions over the label s artists. Their role varies greatly but in essence, they can oversee one, or many, aspects of a… … Wikipedia
Meteor (mobile network) — Meteor Mobile Communications Type Private Industry Mobile telecommunications Founded 1998 Headquarters … Wikipedia
Meteor Rain (album) — Meteor Rain Meteor Rain (Hong Kong Edition) cover Studio album 流星雨 by F4 Released 2 … Wikipedia
Meteor (film) — For the 2009 television film, see Meteor (TV miniseries). Meteor original film poster Directed by Ronald Neame … Wikipedia
Music in tribute of Iron Maiden — This is a list of albums recorded in tribute to the British heavy metal band Iron Maiden. Contents 1 A Call to Irons 2 Transilvania 666 3 A Call to Irons Vol. 2 4 Numbers … Wikipedia
Choice Music Prize — Meteor Choice Music Prize Choice Music Prize logo Awarded for Best album from the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland Presented by IRMA, IMRO and RAAP … Wikipedia