- Kakrapar Atomic Power Station
Nuclear Power Corporation of IndiaLTD.
Built = 1984
May 6, 1993
Reactor = 2
Reactor_MW = 440
El_Prod = 1,851
for_year = 2006
El_Prod_avg = 2,546
Net_Prod = 31,037
as_of = July 24, 2007The
Nuclear powerstation Kakrapar (also "Kakrapar Atomic power station" or CAPE) is a nuclear power station in India, it lies in the proximity of the city Suratin the Federal State Gujarat. It consists of two 220 MW pressurized water reactorswith heavy wateras moderator (PHWR). KAPS-1 went critical on 3 September 1992 and began commercial electricity production a few months later on 6 May 1993. KAPS-2 went critical on 8 January 1995 and began commercial production in September 1995. In January 2003 the CANDU Owners Group(COG) distinguished KAPS-1 as the world-wide best PHWR of its class. The construction costs originally were estimated to be 3.8252 billion Rupees, the plant was finally finished at a price of 13.35 billion Rupees to have cost.
Other than the plant there is also a plant for producing heavy water in the area (Kakrapar Heavy Water Upgrade).
* 1998 KAPS-1 was switched off because of a leakage in the cooling loop for 66 days.
* 10 March 2004 the (at the time) supply for the control rods were irreparably damaged during maintenance work. In response, poisons were added to the system and the reactor was shut off.
* On 22 August 2006 it was reported by village inhabitants the area around the power station had been penetrated. A search by the police did not result in any finds.
* Kaps has a small township located in a rural setting some odd 80km away from main city surat.
* It is some less then 20 km away from Vyara which is also the headquarters of Tapi district formed in Oct 2007.
* All the amenities are brought in to the no man land, from an Amphitheatre to an all device hospital to a wonderful school that brings in united colors of life in to a center.
* The township has beautiful garden layout landscape, which makes living in the setting an experience to cherish a life time.
Nuclear power in India
The Township is also one of its kind which ISO 14001 Certified for its lush Green Heritage
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Kakrapar Atomic Power Station — f1 Kernkraftwerk Kakrapar DEC … Deutsch Wikipedia
Madras Atomic Power Station — f1 Kernkraftwerk Madras DEC … Deutsch Wikipedia
Narora Atomic Power Station — f1 Kernkraftwerk Narora DEC … Deutsch Wikipedia
Rajasthan Atomic Power Station — f1 Kernkraftwerk Rajasthan DEC … Deutsch Wikipedia
Tarapur Atomic Power Station — f1 Kernkraftwerk Tarapur DEC … Deutsch Wikipedia
Kaiga Atomic Power Station — f1 Kernkraftwerk Kaiga DEC … Deutsch Wikipedia
Narora Atomic Power Station — is located in Bulandshahar District in Uttar Pradesh, India. Description Commercial operation of unit 1 began on January 1, 1991. Unit 2 began commercial operation on July 1, 1992. Each unit has a capacity of 220 MWe. The plant is situated on… … Wikipedia
Kakrapar — f1 Kernkraftwerk Kakrapar DEC … Deutsch Wikipedia
Kernkraftwerk Kakrapar — f1 Kernkraftwerk Kakrapar Bild gesucht BW Lage … Deutsch Wikipedia
Nuclear power in India — Nuclear power is the fourth largest source of electricity in India after thermal, hydroelectric and renewable sources of electricity. As of 2010, India has 20 nuclear reactors in operation in six nuclear power plants, generating… … Wikipedia