- Dominic Wood
Dominic "Dom" Wood
Dom (left) with Dick
Born 3 January 1978
Dominic Simon "Dom" Wood (born 3 January 1978 in Exeter, England) is an English entertainer, magician and presenter of radio and television, best known as one half of the double act Dick and Dom, with the other being Richard McCourt.
Attended Exeter College between 1996 and 1998.
Wood was at one point the youngest member of the magician's society The Magic Circle. He was however later expelled after publishing a book that revealed the secrets behind some of his tricks, which is against the Circle's code of practice.
His magical achievements and awards include:
- 1999 Escaping from a straitjacket on Houdini's birthday in 1999
- 1998 British Magical Champion
- 1998 World Record for Card Tricks
- 1996 IBM Shield for Sleight of Hand
- 1995 Young Magician of the Year
Wood first appeared on television in 1996 on CBBC's Friday afternoon children's programme Friday Zone. Following this, he presented the CBBC Broom Cupboard until 1998.
In 1999 he was the first presenter of the CITV game show Jungle Run.
Along with Richard McCourt ("Dick") he is currently best known as half of the double act Dick and Dom. Their programme Dick and Dom in da Bungalow won two BAFTAs in 2004 for Best Presenters and Best Children's Entertainment. On this show in 2004, Wood set the world record for largest number of pants put on in one minute. Throughout 2000-2002, the pair also starred in the 2-series TV show Bring it On.
In 2006, along with Jon Tickle and despite the fact that he has no scientific knowledge, Wood co-presented the UK pop science show Brainiac's Test Tube Baby, a spin off of Brainiac: Science Abuse which airs on Thursdays at 8pm on Sky One.
Dick and Dom have presented a daytime version of Are You Smarter Than A 10 Year Old? since Autumn 2007
He faced trouble in 2005 when he appeared on 'Dick and Dom..' sporting a t-shirt with the slogan 'Morning Wood,' also a reference to an erection upon awakening. He was warned by the BBC and TV authorities, despite his claims it was nothing more than representing that his surname was Wood and it was the morning.
In 2010, Wood was cast in the live-action 3D family comedy movie Horrid Henry: The Movie along side Richard McCourt as the titular character's fierce cousin-in-law Pimply Paul. The movie will be released Summer 2011 (August 12, 2011).
In April 2011 it was announced that Wood had been cast in a film about Rod Hull. The film will depict the comedian's rise to fame in the 1980s as well as his battle with sex and alcohol addiction.
Wood has co-written several books including:
- Dominic and the Magic Topper ISBN 0-552-55157-0
- Dominic Wood's Mini Magic: Party Tricks ISBN 0-09-945137-9
- Dominic Wood's Mini Magic: Playground Pranks ISBN 0-09-945138-7
- Dominic Wood's Magic Book ISBN 0-09-944767-3
- Dominic Wood's Spooky Magic ISBN 0-370-32766-7
- Dominic Wood's Magic Book ISBN 0-370-32756-X
- Simply Magic ISBN 0-09-941396-5
Wood is married to Sandi Lee Hughes of the (now defunct) group allSTARS*, and they both live in England. Wood became a father for the first time on 10 January 2008 to a son, Tommy, named after Sandi's father. Wood also has family who he visits around the Crosby area of Liverpool.
Wood ran the annual charity event the Great North Run for the first time in 2007.
- ^ http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a29220/dick-and-dom-leave-da-bungalow.html
- ^ Angus Deayton, John Barrowman, Fay Ripley, Patrick McGuinness and Dominic Wood (Panel show). Would I Lie to You (TV). England. Event occurs at 22:00. http://uktv.co.uk/dave/episode/listing_id/82031288/channel_id/3854. Retrieved 14 May 2008. "TO DOMINIC:Before you were expelled from the magic circle?"
- ^ http://www.troikatalent.com/MR/Wood_Dom.htm
- ^ Why are thousands denied life extending blood cancer drugs?, Daily Mail, 25 September 2007, viewed online 7 October 2007
- ^ BBC's Dick and Dom Strike Back, The Mirror, 21 January 2005, viewed online 7 October 2007
- ^ Q&A - Dominic Wood - CBBC Website - bartvanneste
- ^ Dominic Wood Trivia - Dominic Wood Facts - Dominic Wood Notes
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dominic Perri — Montreal City Councillor for Saint Léonard Ouest Ward Incumbent Assumed office 2005 Preceded by position created Montreal City Councillor for Saint Lé … Wikipedia
Dominic Monaghan — Monaghan at the world premiere of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King in Wellington, New Zealand Born Dominic Bernard Patrick Luke Monaghan 8 December 1976 … Wikipedia
Dominic West — Dominic West, September 2008 Born 15 October 1969 (1969 10 15) (age 42) Sheffield, Yorkshire, England … Wikipedia
Dominic Olejniczak — was the mayor of Green Bay, Wisconsin and was president and chairman of the Board of the Green Bay Packers. Mr. Olejniczak was born on August 18, 1908 to John A. and Victoria Olejniczak in Green Bay, Wisconsin. He was a lifelong resident of… … Wikipedia
Dominic Cooper — Cooper at the 2009 Toronto International Film Festival Born Dominic Edward Cooper 2 June 1978 (1978 06 02) (age 33) … Wikipedia
Dominic Monaghan — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Dominic Monaghan Monaghan en la premier mundial de El retorno del Rey en Wellington (Nueva Zelanda) … Wikipedia Español
Dominic Joseph Fontana — (* 15. März 1931 in Shreveport, Louisiana) ist ein US amerikanischer Musiker, der als Schlagzeuger von Elvis Presley bekannt wurde. Fontanas Leistungen wurden durch die Rockabilly Hall of Fame gewürdigt. Unter seinem Spitznamen D.J. wurde er in… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Dominic Savio — Saint Dominic Savio A prayer card depicting St. Dominic Savio. Confessor Born April 2, 1842(1842 04 02) San Giovanni, a … Wikipedia
Dominic de la Calzada — Saint Dominic de la Calzada Statue of Dominic de la Calzada, Cathedral of Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Born May 12, 1019 Viloria de Rioja, Spain … Wikipedia
Dominic McCarthy — Lawrence Dominic McCarthy Studio portrait of L. D. McCarthy c.1920 Nickname Fats … Wikipedia