- Bremen Overseas Research and Development Association
company_name = Bremen Overseas Research and Development Association (BORDA)
foundation = July 1977
location = Industriestrasse 20, D-28199 Bremen,
South Asia, South East Asia, Southern Africa
key_people = Andreas Ulrich, Executive Director
Joachim Klaembt, President
num_employees = 13 in headquarters, 37 worldwide
homepage = [http://www.borda-net.org Official Site]
The Bremen Overseas Research and Development Association (BORDA) is a non-profit international development organization headquartered in Bremen, Germany and regional offices in India, Indonesia, and Vietnam. It began its work in 1977, starting with its first project, “Technology Transfer of Biogas India-Ethiopia.” Since then it has been active in the delivery of basic needs services across the developing world, from India, to Indonesia, to Southern Africa.
BORDA's main areas of operation are
South Asia, including India and Afghanistan; South East Asia, which includes China, Indonesia, Vietnam, Philippines, Laos, and Cambodia; and Southern Africa, comprising the SADC-region states of Lesotho, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
BORDA has worked in India since 1979, making it the oldest region to be served by the organization. Recently, BORDA also began limited aid work in Afghanistan. Programs implemented span the range of BORDA offerings, from Decentralized Wastewater Treatment (DEWATS) to Decentralized Energy Supplies.
Currently, BORDA - South Asia (BORDA-SA) works in nine Indian states, as well as neighboring regions. BORDA-SA and its partners have been contracted by international development organizations, including GTZ (Germany), AusAid (Australia), CEU, and InWent, as well as national and local governments.
BORDA-SA supports a development cooperation network of 13 partner organizations, and by extension over 100 development experts in providing basic needs services. Over 110 DEWATS projects have been implemented, together with more than 65 Decentralized Energy Supplies and 60 Water Supplies.
outh East Asia
Vietnam, the Organization implemented the Hydraulic Ram(HydRam) technology as well as the use of biogas, energy-saving stoves, and solar panels, supported the introduction of HPC's turbine pumps and Decentralized Waste Water Treatment System (DEWATS) technology.
Decentralized Water Supply
• Remote mountainous villages in Asia are often located far above streams and rivers. • As mechanical supplies are scarce, water-lifting services by Hydraulic Rams provide a continuous water supply for essential sanitation & agriculture purposes. • Appropriate capacity building measures ensure that villagers handle management tasks in co-operation with partner organisations.• More than 1.200 project implementations facilitated.
Decentalized Wastewater Treatment (with DEWATS)
• DEWATS projects support micro-, small- and medium-sized enterprises, institutions as well as public administrations in planning, designing and constructing effective, reliable, cost efficient and custom-made wastewater treatment systems. • Technical options within DEWATS are based on a modular and partly standardized design. DEWATS projects are carried out in Indonesia, India, China, Vietnam and the Philippines.• More than 150 project implementations facilitated
Community-Based Sanitation (CBS)
• Improved public health and reduced water pollution.• Cooperation with communities, NGOs, key-stakeholders and political decision-makers. • Holistic project framework: Besides improving sanitation infrastructure, operation and maintenance systems must be developed with participating stakeholders that ensure the sustainability of measures to improve basic sanitation and community hygiene.• More than 100 project implementations facilitated
Decentralized Solid Waste Management
• A regular and environmentally friendly collection & disposal of solid waste is demanded by residents and local governments of Asian cities.• Good Practices of solid waste management are characterized by the 3 R principles: „Reduce – Reuse – Recycle“• Cooperation of residents, local waste pickers and local government departments is essential to plan lasting for decentralized solid waste management solutions.• More than 20 project implementations facilitated
Decentralized Energy Supply
• Decentralized power generation by MicroHydro Turbines that are powered by the flow-energy of mountain streams is a proven method to provide remote villages with electricity for productive and household purposes. • Partner organizations are trained to become „Micro-Utilities“ and act as vital service providers in marginalized regions.• More than 100 project implementations facilitated
Knonwledge and Quality Management
• To achieve high quality standards of measures and services, local implementation capacity, competence and expertise must be built atan early stage. • Target groups and stakeholders need to be informed about different options in a systematic manner to ensure high participation during planning and management. • Available technical and management options are adapted topreferences of stakeholders and target groups • Increased efforts are made to standardize products and services in order to improve efficient dissemination.
*BORDA's efforts in wastewater management have helped to improve the lives of over 1,000,000 people.
*Training efforts have resulted in over 2000 engineers and technicians being successfully schooled in construction of low-cost sanitation measures.
In The News
BORDA has garnered press coverage in "
The Christian Science Monitor", " The Hindi", The Jakarta Post, and a number of smaller local news sources.
Below is a selection of recent media coverage.
*Saqaf, Syed Muthahar. [http://www.hindu.com/2007/07/09/stories/2007070959900600.htm Exnora to provide technical help to install two more water treatment systems in Musiri.] "The Hindi". July 9, 2007.
*Chopra, Anuj. [http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0215/p04s01-wosc.html Pay as you go: clean-toilet program for India's towns.] "The Christian Science Monitor". February 15, 2007.
*Repe, Syril G. [http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/dum/2006/09/24/news/hopes.high.for.future.clean.waters.off.boulevard.html Hopes high for future clean waters off boulevard.] "Dumaguete Sun. Star". September 24, 2006.
* [http://www.taz.de/index.php?id=archivseite&dig=2005/06/07/a0292 Bremer Tsunami-Hilfe.] "taz.de". June 7, 2005.
* [http://www.borda-net.org/modules/news/ BORDA Bremen]
* [http://www.borda-mc.org/modules/news/ BORDA Mekong/China]
* [http://www.borda-sa.org/ BORDA South Asia]
* [http://www.borda-sea.org/ BORDA South East Asia]
* [http://www.borda-sadc.org/ BORDA Southern Africa]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bremen Overseas Research and Development Association — Die Bremen Overseas Research and Development Association (BORDA) ist eine internationale Non Profit Organisation der Entwicklungszusammenarbeit mit Sitz in Bremen. BORDA hat Regionalbüros in Indien, Indonesien und Vietnam. Das Engagement von… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Climate change, industry and society — See also: Avoiding dangerous climate change and Effects of climate change on humans This article is about climate change, industry and society. Contents 1 Vulnerability 1.1 General effects 1.2 Human settlement … Wikipedia
List of non-governmental organizations in the People's Republic of China — This article is a list of domestic and international non governmental organizations (NGOs) operating in the People s Republic of China. Contents: Top · 0–9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z List … Wikipedia
List of non-governmental organizations in Vietnam — This is a list of non governmental organizations working in Vietnam or connected with Vietnam. This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it. Contents: 0–9 A B C D E F G … Wikipedia
List of charitable foundations — This is an of foundations, which can or may never satisfy any objective standard for completeness. Revisions and additions are welcome. This is a list of foundations that support or provide philanthropic activities. A*Abundant Life Foundation… … Wikipedia
Borda — ist der Name folgender Personen: Jean Charles de Borda (1733–1799), französischer Mathematiker und Seemann Lidia Borda (* 1966), argentinische Tangosängerin Luis Borda (* 1955), argentinischer Gitarrist Soleil Borda (* 1997), US amerikanische… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ecological sanitation — Ecological sanitation, also known as ecosan or eco san, are terms coined to describe a form of sanitation that usually involves urine diversion and the recycling of water and nutrients contained within human wastes back into the local environment … Wikipedia
Germany — /jerr meuh nee/, n. a republic in central Europe: after World War II divided into four zones, British, French, U.S., and Soviet, and in 1949 into East Germany and West Germany; East and West Germany were reunited in 1990. 84,068,216; 137,852 sq.… … Universalium
education — /ej oo kay sheuhn/, n. 1. the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life. 2. the act or process of… … Universalium
Sweden — This article is about the country. For other uses, see Sweden (disambiguation). Kingdom of Sweden Konungariket Sverige … Wikipedia