- Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral (Alexandria)
color = yellow
name = Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral
fullname = Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral (Alexandria)
img_size = 180px
img_capt = An interior view of St. Mark's Cathedral in Alexandria
denomination = Coptic Orthodox Church
founded_date = 62 AD
founder = Saint Mark
style = Coptic
constructed_date = 60 AD
bishop = Pope Shenouda III
priest = Fr. Ibrahim Nawar
Fr. Gawargious Mikhail
Fr. Marcos Gabra
Fr. Yohanna Nassif
Fr. Abraam Emile
address = St. Mark's Coptic Cathedral, Mahatet el-Ramleh,
phone = +2 (03) 486 7103
website = http://www.elmorkosia.netSaint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Church in
Alexandriais considered a Cathedralas it is the historical seat of the Pope of Alexandria, the head of the Coptic Orthodox Churchsince 60 AD.
The cathedral is said to stand on the site of the church founded by St.
Mark the Evangelistin 60 AD.
Mark the Evangelist(author of the second Gospel) has been connected with the city of Alexandriasince earliest Christian tradition. Coptic Christians believe he arrived in Alexandria around 60 AD and stayed for about seven years.
During this time, Mark converted many to
Christianityand performed many miracles. He is considered the founder of the church in Alexandriaand the first Bishop of Alexandria. According to tradition, St. Mark was arrested during a festival of Serapisin 68 AD and martyred by being dragged through the streets. He was buried under the church he had founded.
Relics of Saint Mark
In 828, the body of St. Mark was stolen from the Alexandrian church by Venetians to be enshrined in the grand new St. Mark's Basilica in Venice. However, the head of the saint remained in Alexandria and every newly-appointed Patriarch of Alexandria began his service with holding the holy head of St. Mark in his lap and changing its cloth shroud.
The head of St. Mark was moved around a great deal over the centuries, and has been lost for over 250 years. Some of the relics from the body of St. Mark, however, were returned to Alexandria from
Romein 1968 during the papacy of Pope Cyril VI.
The present St. Mark's Coptic Cathedral is of recent date, but is said to stand on the site of church founded by St. Mark himself. [ [http://www.sacred-destinations.com/egypt/alexandria-st-mark-coptic-cathedral.htm St. Mark's Coptic Cathedral - Alexandria, Egypt ] ]
History of the Cathedral
*311 AD, before the martyrdom of Pope Peter the Last of Martyrs, he prayed a last prayer on the grave of Saint Mark, the church was then a little chapel on the eastern coast, and it contained the bodies of Saint
Markand some of his holy successors.
* 321 AD: the church was enlarged in the days of Pope Achillas, the 18th Pope.
* 641 AD: the church was greatly ruined when the
* 680 AD:
Pope John III of Sammanud– the 40th Pope – rebuilt the church.
* 828 AD: the body of Saint
Markwas stolen by Italian sailors and was taken from Alexandria to Venicein Italy. However, Saint Mark's head remained in Alexandria.
* 1219 AD: the church was destroyed during the time of the crusades, then it was rebuilt once more.
* 1547 AD:
Pierre Belon[http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0081-8658(1959)6%3C7%3AEAEAIT%3E2.0.CO%3B2-2] The voyager mentioned that the church was founded.
* July 1798 AD: the church was pulled down during the French invasion of Alexandria .
* 1819 AD: the church was rebuilt and opened by Pope Peter El Gawly in the time of Mohammed Ali Pasha.
* 1870 AD: the church was renewed in the time of Pope Demetrius II and by the supervision of H.G. Bishop Marcos of El Behira.
* Between the years 1950 – 1952, in the time of Pope Yusab II, the church building was pulled down – as it was old – and another, larger building was built with reinforced concrete after the basilique style. The six marble pillars were transferred into the outer entrance of the church. The icon carrier was accurately cut into parts, each part given a number, and then it was cautiously returned to where it was originally. The two minarets were not pulled down as they were reinforced with concrete and were decorated with beautiful Coptic engravings. Two new bells – brought from Italy – were provided, one for each minaret.
* 1985 – 1990 AD: the church was widened from the western side after the former style with great accuracy, keeping the two minarets in their places, so the entire area of the church was doubled. The six pillars were transferred to the new western entrance of the church supervised by
Pope Shenouda III. [ [http://www.elmorkosia.net/church/history.html SAINT MARK Coptic Orthodox Cathedral - Alexandria, EGYPT] ]
* [http://www.elmorkosia.net/index.html Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Alexandria website]
* [http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=PE9Rsod277U A short video of the Cathedral's services]
Coptic Orthodox Church
List of Coptic Orthodox Churches in the United States
Seat of the Coptic Orthodox Pope of Alexandria
Seat of the Coptic Orthodox Pope of Alexandria
Saint Barbara Church in Coptic Cairo
Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral, Cairo
Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral (Azbakeya)
Saint Mark Coptic Orthodox Church (Heliopolis)
Saint Mary and Saint Abasikhiron Coptic Orthodox Church
Saint Mary Church (Haret Elroum)
St Mary and St Mercurius Coptic Orthodox Church
Saint Mercurius Church in Coptic Cairo
Saints Sergius and Bacchus Church (Abu Serga)
The Hanging Church
Church of the Holy Virgin (Babylon El-Darag)
Church of the Virigin Mary (Haret Zuweila)
* [http://www.elmorkosia.net/ Saint Mark's Coptic orthodox Cathedral (Alexandria) website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral (Azbakeya) — Saint Mark s Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Azbakeya, Cairo was the seat of the Coptic Pope from 1800 to 1971.Due to Ibrahim El Gohary s influential position in the government and his great favour to the Muslim rulers, he was able to issue fatwas… … Wikipedia
Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral, Cairo — An interior view of Saint Mark s Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Abbasseya, notably the largest cathedral in Africa and the Middle East St. Mark s Coptic Orthodox Cathedral is located in the Abbassia District in Cairo, Egypt. It is the current seat… … Wikipedia
Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria — Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria and of All Africa Ϯⲉⲕ̀ⲕⲗⲏⲥⲓⲁ ̀ⲛⲣⲉⲙ̀ⲛⲭⲏⲙⲓ ̀ⲛⲟⲣⲑⲟⲇⲟⲝⲟⲥ Coptic Orthod … Wikipedia
Saint Mark Coptic Orthodox Church (Heliopolis) — St. Mark s Coptic Orthodox Church is the first Coptic parish that was built and established in the district of Heliopolis in Cairo, Egypt. [ [http://www.stmarkos.org/ The official website of St. Mark s Church (Heliopolis)] . Accessed August 23,… … Wikipedia
Saint Mark's Cathedral (disambiguation) — Saint Mark s Cathedral are several cathedrals named for Saint Mark (Mark the Evangelist). flagicon|Egypt Egypt * Saint Mark s Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Cairo * Saint Mark s Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Alexandria * Saint Mark s Coptic Orthodox … Wikipedia
Saint Mark's Cathedral — may mean:* Saint Mark s Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Cairo, Egypt * Saint Mark s Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Alexandria, Egypt * Saint Mark s Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Azbakeya, Egypt * Saint Mark s Roman Catholic Cathedral in Venice, Italyee … Wikipedia
St Mary and St Mercurius Coptic Orthodox Church — is the first Coptic Orthodox Church in Wales, at St Mary Street in Risca, Newport, Wales.It was consecrated in 1992 by HH Pope Shenouda III in the town of Risca, South Wales, with the official name of the church being St Mary’s and St Abu… … Wikipedia
Seat of the Coptic Orthodox Pope of Alexandria — The Seat of the Coptic Orthodox Pope of Alexandria is historically based in Alexandria, Egypt. It is commonly known as the Holy See of St. Mark, as the Coptic Pope is the successor of St. Mark.Ruling powers moved away from Alexandria to Cairo… … Wikipedia
Pope of the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria — Pope of Alexandria and Patriarch of all Africa redirects here. For Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria and All Africa, see Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria and All Africa. Bishop of Alexandria Bishopric … Wikipedia
St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church (Jersey City, New Jersey) — Infobox church name = St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church color = imagesize = 200px caption = landscape = denomination = Coptic Orthodox Church diocese = Archdiocese of North America, under the Pope of Alexandria division = The Coptic Orthodox… … Wikipedia