Henhull is a
civil parishin the Crewe and Nantwichdistrict of Cheshire, England, which lies to the north west of Nantwich. For administrative purposes, it is combined with adjacent civil parishes of Acton and Edlestonto form a total area of 765 hectares (1890 acres). [http://www.cheshirecc.org.uk/forms/parishplans/Acton%20Edleston%20Henhull%20Parish%20Plan.pdf Acton, Edleston and Henhull Parish Plan] (accessed 17 August 2007)] The parish is predominantly rural with scattered farms and houses and no large settlements. It includes the hamlets of Basin End, Bluestone, Welshmen's Green and part of Burford. [http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/chs/henhull.html Genuki: Henhull] (accessed 17 August 2007)] Nearby villages include Acton and Rease Heath.
According to the 2001 census, Henhull had a population of 71. [Combining [http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/CheshireCC.LocalStaistics.Web/results.aspx?session_id=7cfde834-5d5b-4238-bab1-b47b73739794&missed_stages=3 Cheshire County Council: Local Statistics: Acton - Henhull] & [http://neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadTableView.do?a=7&b=792549&c=Acton&d=16&e=15&g=428083&i=1001x1003x1004&m=0&enc=1&dsFamilyId=779 Neighbourhood Statistics: Acton CP] (accessed 17 August 2007)]
Different meanings have been suggested for the name 'Henhull'. Hen Heol is Welsh for 'old street', which might refer to the
Roman roadfrom Middlewichto Whitchurch, excavated in 1987, which runs through the parish. [ [http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/countryside/Walking/circularwalks_long/crewe_nantwich/walkingtrackways.htm Cheshire County Council: Crewe and Nantwich Circular Walk: Walking the Trackways - Acton to Coppenhall] (accessed 28 August 2007)] Alternatively, Henhull or Henhill means a place for woodhens or other waterfowl.
The hamlet of Bluestone is named after a granite boulder glacial deposit situated near the Burford crossroads in Acton civil parish, which was unearthed during road building and is believed to originate from
Cumbria. The name is thought to derive from blue porphyritic crystals, which are no longer visible. A local legend suggests that the boulder was thrown at Acton church from Bickerton Hillby the Devil. [Latham, p. 11, endpaper map]
Geography and transport
Shropshire Union Canalsouth of the Hurleston Junction runs through the parish from the south east to the north west; the southern part is raised on the Nantwich Embankment. The River Weaverruns along the eastern boundary of the parish. The A51 runs east–west along the northern boundary of the parish, crossing the canal at Henhull Bridge. The Crewe and Nantwich Circular Walkruns through the parish.
Nantwich Marina(at gbmappingsmall|SJ639528) is at Basin End, the meeting point of the former Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal and Chester Canal, now both part of the Shropshire Union. Sculptures by the canal in this area form part of a community art project, including the 'Nantwich Horse', by John Merrill, constructed from recycled lock gates, hinges and bolts, which won a National Waterways Renaissance Award from the British Urban Regeneration Associationin 2006. [ [http://www.crewe-nantwich.gov.uk/main.asp?page=2859 Borough of Crewe and Nantwich: 'Nantwich gets a wooden horse'] , [http://www.crewe-nantwich.gov.uk/main.asp?page=1814 'Nantwich horse sculpture and community arts project nominated for national award'] & [http://www.crewe-nantwich.gov.uk/main.asp?page=3047 Nantwich horse sculpture scoops national award] (accessed 17 August 2007)]
A police dog training school is located on Welshmen's Lane.
*Latham FA, ed. "Acton" (The Local History Group; 1995) (ISBN 0 9522284 1 6)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.