- McHenry, Illinois
McHenry City Nickname: The Heart Of The Fox Country United States State Illinois County McHenry Coordinates Area 12.1 sq mi (31 km2) - land 12.1 sq mi (31 km2) Density 1,850.2 / sq mi (714 / km2) Mayor Susan E. Low Timezone CST (UTC-6) - summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5) Postal code 60050 and 60051 Area code 815 Wikimedia Commons: McHenry, Illinois Website: http://www.ci.mchenry.il.us/
McHenry is a city in McHenry County, Illinois, United States. In 2005, its population was estimated to be 24,631. McHenry was at one time the county seat of McHenry County. McHenry was named for Major William McHenry, an old Indian fighter.
McHenry is surrounded by natural lakes and streams, grassy moraine hills, gravel banks, and shallow nutrient-rich peat bogs; remnants of receding glaciers from the last ice age. Moraine Hills State Park and Volo Bog State Natural Area preserve some of these unique natural features.
McHenry is located 50 miles northwest of Chicago in northern Illinois on the Fox River. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 12.1 square miles (31 km2), of which, 11.6 square miles (30 km2) of it is land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2) of it (4.05%) is water.
- Richmond Road/Elm Street/Front Street
- Elm Street
- Ringwood Road
- Ridge Road
- Curran Road
- Bull Valley Road
- McCullom Lake Road
- Crystal Lake Road
- Green Street
- Charles J Miller Road
- Chapel Hill Road
- River Road
- Draper Road
- Martin Road
- Riverside Drive
- Pearl Street
- Lincoln Road
The Fox River
McHenry lies within the watershed of the Fox River, and its downtown area is situated on that river.
The population density was 1,850.2 per square mile (714.4/km²). There were 8,127 housing units at an average density of 699.4 per square mile (270.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 94.18% White, 0.35% African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.89% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 3.31% from other races, and 1.02% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 7.10% of the population.
There were 7,872 households of which 38.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.2% were married couples living together, 9.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.4% were non-families. 24.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.70 and the average family size was 3.25.
Age distribution was 28.5% under the age of 18, 7.8% from 18 to 24, 32.7% from 25 to 44, 19.9% from 45 to 64, and 11.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 94.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.2 males.
The median household income was $55,759, and the median family income was $66,040. Males had a median income of $46,552 versus $29,808 for females. The per capita income for the city was $23,272. About 3.8% of families and 4.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.1% of those under age 18 and 2.6% of those age 65 or over.
Major industrial users including Medela, Follett Library Resources, Fabrik Industries and Plaspros have located in the City's business parks. Centegra's Northern Illinois Medical Center (NIMC) campus calls McHenry home and provides emergency, in and out-patient health care services to the City and surrounding areas. Steady residential growth has resulted in significant commercial development. The north Richmond Road corridor has become a destination for shoppers in the northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin areas with numerous "big box" retailers and smaller chains. The City has also been very diligent and active in preserving, promoting and revitalizing its three downtown districts: Main Street, Green Street and Riverside Drive.
McHenry is currently the terminus of a branch line on Metra's Union Pacific/Northwest Line, with daily passenger service to Ogilvie Transportation Center (Northwestern Station) in downtown Chicago. The line that now terminates at McHenry once continued to Williams Bay, Wisconsin, but that service was discontinued in stages in the 1960s and 1970s.
- Gary Adams (d. 2000), founded TaylorMade Golf in McHenry in 1979.
- Jason Faunt (b. 1974), actor, grew up in McHenry.
- Jace Sayler (b.1979), football player with Michigan State University and the New England Patriots (Super Bowl champion), attended McHenry High School (East Campus).
- Matt Skiba (b. 1976), guitarist/singer-songwriter of the punk rock band, Alkaline Trio, lived in McHenry during his childhood and attended McHenry High School (East Campus).
- Mariann Mayberry (b. 1965), actress and ensemble member of Steppenwolf Theatre Company, lived in McHenry during her childhood and is a graduate of McHenry High School (West Campus).
- ^ http://www.ci.mchenry.il.us/departments/development/economic.html
- ^ http://metrarail.com/content/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/up-nw/map.html
- ^ Dodson, James (May/June 1998). "Ace of Clubs". Departures Magazine. American Express Publishing Corporation. http://www.departures.com/articles/ace-of-clubs. Retrieved 31 August 2009.
- ^ Wyss, Cyndi (15 May 2009). "Wyss: Economic uptick good, but bears price". Northwest Herald. http://www.nwherald.com/columnists/columns/2009/05/14/r_i0vttsoeswqv8yjnfjpvoa/index.xml. Retrieved 31 August 2009.
Municipalities and communities of McHenry County, Illinois Cities Villages
Algonquin‡ | Barrington Hills‡ | Bull Valley | Cary | Fox Lake‡ | Fox River Grove‡ | Greenwood | Hebron | Holiday Hills | Huntley‡ | Island Lake‡ | Johnsburg | Lake in the Hills | Lakemoor‡ | Lakewood | McCullom Lake | Oakwood Hills | Port Barrington‡ | Prairie Grove | Richmond | Ringwood | Spring Grove | Trout Valley | Union | Wonder Lake
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
State of Illinois Topics Regions
- American Bottom
- Central Illinois
- Champaign–Urbana metropolitan area
- Chicago metropolitan area
- Driftless Area
- Fox Valley
- Illinois–Indiana–Kentucky Tri-State Area
- Metro East
- Mississippi Alluvial Plain
- North Shore
- Northern Illinois
- Northwestern Illinois
- Peoria metropolitan area
- Quad Cities
- River Bend
- Rockford metropolitan area
- Southern Illinois
- Wabash Valley
towns and villages
- Alton/Granite City/Edwardsville
- Arlington Heights/Palatine
- Bartlett/Hanover Park/Streamwood
- Belleville/East St. Louis/Collinsville/O'Fallon
- Buffalo Grove/Wheeling
- Calumet City
- Carol Stream/Glendale Heights
- Chicago Heights
- Crystal Lake/Algonquin
- Des Plaines/Mount Prospect/Park Ridge
- Downers Grove/Woodridge
- Moline/East Moline/Rock Island
- Mount Vernon
- Oak Lawn
- Oak Park
- Orland Park/Tinley Park
- Peoria/Pekin/East Peoria/Morton
- Rockford/Belvidere/Machesney Park/Loves Park
- St. Charles
- Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates/Elk Grove Village
- Sterling/Rock Falls
- Waukegan/North Chicago/Gurnee
- Jo Daviess
- Rock Island
- St. Clair
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
McHenry (Illinois) — McHenry Ciudad de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español
Municipio de McHenry (condado de McHenry, Illinois) — Municipio de McHenry Municipio de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español
Comté de McHenry (Illinois) — 42° 19′ N 88° 27′ W / 42.32, 88.45 … Wikipédia en Français
Condado de McHenry (Illinois) — Para otros usos de este término, véase Condado de McHenry. Condado de McHenry Condados de Illinois Mapa … Wikipedia Español
Municipio de Alden (condado de McHenry, Illinois) — Municipio de Alden Municipio de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español
Municipio de Algonquin (condado de McHenry, Illinois) — Municipio de Algonquin Municipio de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español
Municipio de Burton (condado de McHenry, Illinois) — Municipio de Burton Municipio de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español
Municipio de Chemung (condado de McHenry, Illinois) — Municipio de Chemung Municipio de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español
Municipio de Coral (condado de McHenry, Illinois) — Municipio de Coral Municipio de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español
Municipio de Dorr (condado de McHenry, Illinois) — Municipio de Dorr Municipio de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español