- The Battle of Los Angeles (album)
The Battle of Los Angeles Studio album by Rage Against the Machine Released November 2, 1999 Recorded September - October 1, 1998 at A&M Studios, Hollywood, CA; Royalstone Studios, North Hollywood, CA; Royaltone Studios, Hollywood, CA; Silent Sound Studios, Atlanta, GA; Southern Tracks, Atlanta, GA; Sunset Sound, Hollywood, CA; Westlake Audio, Los Angeles, CA Genre Rap metal, alternative metal, funk metal Length 45:23 Label Epic Producer Brendan O'Brien and Rage Against the Machine Rage Against the Machine chronology Evil Empire
The Battle of Los Angeles
The Battle of Los Angeles is the third studio album by Rage Against the Machine. It was released on November 2, 1999, over three years after their second studio album, Evil Empire. Between Evil Empire and Los Angeles, the band released a live album, titled Live & Rare. This album is Rage Against the Machine's most recent album consisting of original material.
The song "Calm Like a Bomb" is featured in the credits of The Matrix Reloaded. The videos to "Sleep Now in the Fire" and "Testify" were directed by documentarian Michael Moore. Both "Testify" and "Guerrilla Radio" are also featured in the video game Rock Band 2, being on-disc and downloadable, respectively.
The album debuted at #1 on Billboard's Top 200 selling 420,000 copies its first week. That week saw a busy CD release schedule. The album denied Mariah Carey's highly anticipated album the chance to open at #1. "Guerrilla Radio" was featured in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, albeit heavily edited on the Nintendo 64 version, and it is also heavily edited on "Madden NFL 10". Both Time and Rolling Stone named it the Best Album of 1999. It was listed as #53 in SPIN Magazine's 100 Greatest Albums, 1985-2005.
The album cover art was an original artwork by the LA Street Phantom aka Joey Krebs aka Joel Jaramillo, a well-known Los Angeles artist who has exhibited at numerous galleries in Los Angeles, New York City and throughout the United States. Despite claims to the contrary, the image was not inspired by images from the 1992 street riots of LA or from images of Munich, but by the band's own music and words, and represents one in a series of images of the artist's work, which can also be seen on various street murals in Los Angeles.
The Battle of Los Angeles was heavily influenced by the novel Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell. "Testify", "Sleep Now in the Fire", "Voice of the Voiceless", among other songs, include direct quotes from the novel, and mention key Orwellian terms in the lyrics. "Voice of the Voiceless" also contains a quotation from the writings of Mao Tse-tung.
Regarding the album's title it is worth mentioning that there was an historical event called Battle of Los Angeles which took place on February 25, 1942, involving a large-scale anti-aircraft artillery barrage against targets which subsequently remained unidentified.
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Robert Christgau  Entertainment Weekly (A)  Rolling Stone  NME (7/10)  Spin (9/10)  Ultimate Guitar (9.4/10)  Vibe (favorable)  Yahoo! Music (favorable) 
All songs written and arranged by Rage Against the Machine and all lyrics by Zack de la Rocha.
- "Testify" – 3:30
- "Guerrilla Radio" – 3:26
- "Calm Like a Bomb" – 4:58
- "Mic Check" – 3:33
- "Sleep Now in the Fire" – 3:25
- "Born of a Broken Man" – 4:41
- "Born as Ghosts" – 3:21
- "Maria" – 3:48
- "Voice of the Voiceless" – 2:31
- "New Millennium Homes" – 3:44
- "Ashes in the Fall" – 4:36
- "War Within a Breath" – 3:36
- Australian and Japanese editions
- "No Shelter" – 4:06
Bonus Promo CD/tape
In the US, some retail stores gave a free promo CD to those who pre-ordered the CD. It contained 2 tracks: "Clear the Lane" and "Hadda Be Playing on the Juke Box". In Australia certain chains gave a promo tape to those who pre-ordered titled "New... Live... Rare" which featured "Calm Like a Bomb" and the aforementioned all on one side and repeating on side B. All versions are the same as on their proper CD releases.
Personnel - "Guilty Parties"
- Rage Against the Machine – Producer, Art Direction
- Zack de la Rocha – vocals
- Tim Commerford (credited as "Y.tim.K" and "tim.com") – bass, backing vocals
- Brad Wilk – drums
- Tom Morello – guitar
- Kevin Dean – Assistant Engineer
- Nick DiDia – Engineer
- Russ Fowler – Engineer
- Kevin Lively – Assistant Engineer
- Stephen Marcussen – Mastering
- Brendan O'Brien – Producer, Mixing
- Aimee MacAuley – Art Direction
- Roger Sommers – Assistant Engineer
- Danny Clinch – Photography
- Andrew Garver – Digital Editing
- Ryan Williams – Engineer
- Michael Parnin – Assistant Engineer
- Monique Mitzrahl – Assistant Engineer
- Tim Harkins – Assistant Engineer
- Karl Egsieker – Assistant Engineer
- Erin Haley – Production Coordination
- Cheryl Mondello – Production Coordination
- German Villacorta – Assistant Engineer
- Joey Krebs – Artwork
- Sugar D – Engineer
- Steven Tirona – Photography
- Eye Cue – Photography
Year Chart Peak position 1999 The Billboard 200 #1 1999 Top Canadian Albums #1 1999 Top Internet Albums #1 1999 UK Album Chart #23
Year Single Chart Peak position 1999 "Guerrilla Radio" Modern Rock Tracks #6 1999 "Guerrilla Radio" Mainstream Rock Tracks #11 1999 "Guerrilla Radio" Canadian Singles Chart #6 1999 "Guerrilla Radio" UK Singles Chart #32 2000 "Sleep Now in the Fire" Modern Rock Tracks #8 2000 "Sleep Now in the Fire" Mainstream Rock Tracks #16 2000 "Sleep Now in the Fire" UK Singles Chart #43 2000 "Testify" Modern Rock Tracks #16 2000 "Testify" Mainstream Rock Tracks #22
- 1999: #1 Rolling Stone Critic Pick (Best Album of 1999)
- 2000: "Guerrilla Radio" – Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock Performance
- ^ "The Street Phantom - Artist's Statement at Graffiti Verite.com". Graffitiverite.com. http://www.graffitiverite.com/The_Street_Phantom/statements.htm. Retrieved 2010-11-15.
- ^ http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-battle-of-los-angeles-r443465/review
- ^ http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?id=1116&name=Rage+Against+the+Machine
- ^ http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,64329,00.html
- ^ http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/rageagainstthemachine/albums/album/301413/review/5943050/the_battle_of_los_angeles
- ^ http://www.nme.com/reviews/artistKeyname/1506
- ^ http://books.google.com/books?id=HJbW_6l-uRUC&pg=PA213
- ^ http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/compact_discs/rage_against_the_machine/the_battle_of_los_angeles/index.html
- ^ http://books.google.com/books?id=YCgEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA248&dq=
- ^ http://ca.music.yahoo.com/read/review/12035715
- ^ a b http://www.billboard.com/#/album/rage-against-the-machine/the-battle-of-los-angeles/390247
- Official website
- Axis of Justice Tom Morello and Serj Tankian's Activist Website "Axis Of Justice"
- Vietnow.org Rage Against The Machine news resource and forum
- The Battle of Los Angeles (album) at Allmusic
Supernatural by Santana
Billboard 200 number-one album
November 20-26, 1999
Breathe by Faith Hill
Rage Against the Machine Studio albums Live albumsLive & Rare (1998) · Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium (2003) Demo albumsRage Against the Machine (1991) Video Singles"Killing in the Name" · "Bullet in the Head" · "Bombtrack" · "Freedom" · "Year of tha Boomerang" · "Bulls on Parade" · "People of the Sun" · "Down Rodeo" · "Vietnow" · "The Ghost of Tom Joad" · "No Shelter" · "Guerrilla Radio" · "Sleep Now in the Fire" · "Testify" · "Calm Like a Bomb" · "Renegades of Funk" · "How I Could Just Kill a Man" Other songs Tours Related acts Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Battle of Los Angeles (album) — The Battle of Los Angeles Album par Rage Against The Machine Sortie 2 novembre 1999 Enregistrement 1998 Durée 45:10 Genre Rap metal Funk metal Metal a … Wikipédia en Français
The Battle of Los Angeles — Álbum de estudio de Rage Against the Machine Publicación 2 de noviembre de 1999 Grabación 1999 Género(s) Rap metal Funk metal … Wikipedia Español
The Battle Of Los Angeles — Album par Rage Against The Machine Sortie 2 Novembre 1999 Enregistrement 1998 Durée 45:10 Genre(s) Rap metal Funk metal Met … Wikipédia en Français
The Battle of Los Angeles — Album par Rage Against The Machine Sortie 2 Novembre 1999 Enregistrement 1998 Durée 45:10 Genre(s) Rap metal Funk metal Met … Wikipédia en Français
The battle of los angeles — Album par Rage Against The Machine Sortie 2 Novembre 1999 Enregistrement 1998 Durée 45:10 Genre(s) Rap metal Funk metal Met … Wikipédia en Français
The Battle of Los Angeles — Studioalbum von Rage Against the Machine Veröffentlichung 2. November 1999 Label Epic Records( … Deutsch Wikipedia
The Battle of Los Angeles — The Battle of Los Ángeles (Batalla de Los Ángeles en español) es el tercer disco de estudio de la banda Rage Against the Machine, lanzado el 2 de noviembre de 1999, un día antes de el séptimo aniversario de la salida de su primer álbum, y… … Enciclopedia Universal
The Battle of Los Angeles Tour — infobox concert tour concert tour name = The Battle of Los Angeles Tour artist = Rage Against The Machine start date = January 23 1999 end date = September 13 2000 number of shows = 80 number of legs = 6 last tour = Evil Empire Tour (1996 1997)… … Wikipedia
Battle of Los Angeles — The Battle of Los Angeles The Battle of Los Angeles Album par Rage Against The Machine Sortie 2 Novembre 1999 Enregistrement 1998 Durée 45:10 Genre(s) Rap metal Funk metal Met … Wikipédia en Français
Battle of Los Angeles — [ Los Angeles Times after the Air Raid ; the caption read SEEKING OUT OBJECT Scores of searchlights built a wigwam oflight beams over Los Angeles early yesterday morning during the alarm. This picture was taken during blackout; shows nine beams… … Wikipedia