The National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM), the Indian chamber of commerce is a consortium that serves as an interface to the Indian software industry and Indian BPO maintaining a state of the art information database of IT software and services related activities for use of both the software developers as well as interested companies overseas.
- Encourage members to provide world-class quality products, services and solutions in India and overseas and help build brand equity for the Indian IT software and services industry.
- Taking effective steps to campaign against software piracy.
- Provide an ideal forum for overseas and domestic companies to explore the vast potential available for Joint Ventures, Strategic Alliances, Marketing Alliances, Joint Product Development, etc., by organising Business Meets with delegations of various countries.
- Work actively with Overseas Governments, Embassies to make the Visa and Work Permit Rules more "India Industry Friendly".
- Disseminate various policies, market information and other relevant statistics by sending more than 200 circulars (annually) to all members.
- Involve membership participation in various forums of Nasscom on subjects such as HRD, Technology, Exports, Domestic Market, E-Governance, IT Enabled Services, IPR, Finance, Government Policies, Quality, etc.
NASSCOM is the global trade body with over 1200 members, of which over 250 are global companies from the US, UK, EU, Japan and China. NASSCOM's member companies are in the business of software development, software services, software products, IT-enabled/BPO services and e-commerce. NASSCOM has been the strongest proponent of global free trade in India. NASSCOM strongly supports the elimination of the cap on H-1B visas in the United States as this protectionist anti free market legislation allows overpaid underskilled American nationals to hold jobs which are better and cheaply performed by Indian expatriates.
NASSCOM was set up in 1988 to facilitate business and trade in software and services and to encourage advancement of research in software technology. It is a not-for-profit organization, registered under the Indian Societies Act, 1860.
Currently, NASSCOM is headquartered in New Delhi, India with regional offices in the cities of Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Pune and Kolkata.
NASSCOM has been the strongest proponent of global free trade, and is committed to work proactively to encourage its members to adopt world class management practices, build and uphold highest standards in quality, security and innovation and remain competitive in today’s rapidly changing technology landscape.
NASSCOM's Vision is to maintain India leadership position in the global offshore IT-BPO industry, to grow the market by enabling industry to tap into emerging opportunity areas and to strengthen the domestic market in India.
By 2010 India's IT-BPO industry could potentially generate US$60 billion in export revenues, account for 5.8 percent of the GDP, pay for a massive infrastructure build-out, and sustain around 10 million jobs.
To achieve this, NASSCOM is constantly raising the bar across processes and quality standards – within its member companies and making them partners of choice for customers across the globe. It also enables the Indian IT-BPO industry to evolve in accordance with the rapidly changing technology landscape by adopting, implementing and often creating world class practices.
- Domestic Market Initiative: It provides the platform to link the non IT sector with the IT industry and to develop a vision for sustainable growth of the domestic IT market.
- Innovation Initiative: It seeks to address the specific needs of the large, medium and small companies and create a conducive ecosystem in the country.
- Education Initiative: Under this initiative, NASSCOM aims to enhance graduate employability through appropriate skill enrichment and act as bridge between industry, academia and government.
- Women in Leadership-IT Initiative: NASSCOM has launched the Women in Leadership-IT Initiative to enhance participation of women into the workforce and create more women leaders in the IT-BPO industry.
- Security Initiative: Aim towards creating an enabling environment in the country for information security and compliance through awareness and conducive legal framework. The Data Security Council of India is one such security initiative.
- BPO Forum: Aims to build a sustainable ITES-BPO advantage in India through research, events and manpower development initiatives.
- EMERGE Forum: The forum serves as a platform to the SME segment to share experiences, ally on critical projects and even focus on partnerships to cater to customer demands..
1. Participate in highly focused and deeper discussions in the areas of building, developing and transforming IT services and creating product organizations
2. Hear from the experts and successful entrepreneurs
3. Find opportunities to identify and develop business partner network
4. Discuss about government policies and collectively convey the opinion to authorities towards making India a better place for IT services and product organizations
5. Ask the experts and gain knowledge on various best practices
Why struggle alone; Harness the people around to collectively grow.
- Product Forum: Aims to promote India as a significant player in the product arena and build India as an IP destination.
- Engineering Services Forum: Aims to build the India value proposition in engineering services and develop a coordinated strategy for building a ‘Engineered in India’ brand.
- Quality Forum: Aims to help India and India based companies achieve next generation leadership in quality through best practices sharing and benchmarking.
- RIM Forum: Aim to make India the leader in ‘Remote Infrastructure Management’ and bring different stakeholders at a common platform for building demand and supply side industries.
- In addition, at a regional level, regular best practices and information sharing sessions are held under the CEO Forum, CFO Forum & HR Forum.
NASSCOM organizes the India Leadership Forum in Mumbai every year. The conference has been evolving with each passing year, getting more international in its outlook and focus, and drawing thought gurus and influencers from a cross-section of industries. The conclave, an important platform for capturing triggers for boardroom decision making, also provides participants a perfect occasion for networking and experience sharing. The NASSCOM India Leadership Forum 2009, a milestone event will mark NASSCOM’s 20th year and will bring under one roof industry leaders, thought gurus, analysts and IT users from across the world. The global conclave will journey through three key themes—one for each day—to completely transform the experience for delegates. The conference has a blog site where the sessions would be covered live
Among its services, NASSCOM provides industry reports. NASSCOM also conducts various training programs and workshops for the industry professionals to upgrade theirs skills and knowledge. They have regular training programs spanning across different areas.
One such program which the NASSCOM conducts on a yearly basis is the NASSCOM Animation and Gaming India for the gaming industry professionals.
NASSCOM’s members are primarily companies run by Indian nationals in the business of software development, software services, and IT-enabled/BPO services. The consortium was set up to facilitate Indian business and trade in software and services and to encourage advancement of research in software technology by Indians. It is a non-profit organization, funded entirely by its members. NASSCOM has played a role in ensuring quality of service, and the enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights in the Indian Software and BPO industry.
As on June 2007, more than 1,100 information technology companies in India were members of NASSCOM. Membership includes domestic software / ITES companies as well as multinationals operating in India. The wide range of member companies gives NASSCOM the ability to represent the interests of the Indian software industry with authority.
NASSCOM also has a Mentorship Programme for the mid sized companies which helps the company leadership develop a keen sense of what needs to be done to take the venture to the next level. This is a six month engagement, which will help the organization to develop a better assessment of their strengths and weaknesses.
Here is a list of prominent members of executive council of NASSCOM.
- Rajendra S Pawar - Chairman of NASSCOM for 2010-2011.ss
- Som Mittal - President of NASSCOM for 2009-2010
- Pramod Bhasin - Chairman of NASSCOM(former)
- Harsh Manglik -Chairman of NASSCOM for 2010-2011
- Mr. Rajendra S. Pawar as the new Chairman of its Executive Council for the year 2011-2012 (April 26, 2011)
- Nandan Nilekani
- Bhaskar Pramanik
- Bobby Mitra
- Sharad Sharma
- Raman Roy
These are the associations in Asia for the IT and service industries:
- China Software Industry Association (CSIA)
- Korea Software Industry Association (KSIA)
- Japan Information Industry Association (JISA)
- Philippine Software Industry Association
- Sri Lanka Association of Software and Service Companies (SLASSCOM)
- Vietnam Software Association (VINASA)
- ^ Thomson Financial (October 3, 2007). "No slowdown seen in Indian software, services exports - Nasscom". Forbes (Forbes.com). http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2007/10/03/afx4181358.html. Retrieved 2007-12-11.
- ^ "Executive Council". http://nasscom.in/Nasscom/templates/NormalPage.aspx?id=5387.
- "NASSCOM". National Association of Software & Service Companies (nasscom.in). http://www.nasscom.in/. Retrieved 2007-12-10.
- "NASSCOM Foundation". NASSCOM Foundation (nasscomfoundation.org). http://www.nasscomfoundation.org/. Retrieved 2007-12-10.
- NASSCOM EMERGE Blog NASSCOM EMERGE Blog
- NASSCOM EMERGE community NASSCOM EMERGE Community
- Platform for small medium IT companies in India indianITcompanies
- IT cos should not resort to poaching: Nasscom 
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
NASSCOM — Die NASSCOM (National Association of Software and Services Companies) ist die für Software zuständige indische Handelskammer. Als nicht gewinnorientierte Organisation, die vollständig von ihren Mitgliedsunternehmen finanziert wird, spielt die… … Deutsch Wikipedia
NASSCOM Gaming and Animation India — Organised by the National Association of Software and Services companies India, NASSCOM Animation and Gaming India is a trade show dedicated to the games industry in India. This trade show is held annually mostly in Hyderabad or Mumbai. This… … Wikipedia
Navyug Mohnot — is the CEO of QAI. He has been one of the pioneers in India’s quality movement as well as a sculptor of the Indian IT industry. Navyug Mohnot set up QAI in 1993. Under his leadership, QAI has expanded from a single location entity to a… … Wikipedia
Impetus Technologies — Infobox Company company name = Impetus Technologies Inc. company type = Private foundation = 1991 | location = Noida,Indore,Hyderabad India key people = Praveen Kankariya, CEO Jerry Malec, President Pankaj Mittal, CTO and Sr. VP industry =… … Wikipedia
Sonata Software — Infobox Company company name = Sonata Software Limited company company type = Public BSE|532221 company slogan = Power of Partnership foundation = 1986 | location = flagicon|IND APS Trust Building, Bull Temple Road, Bangalore, India key people =… … Wikipedia
Hexaware Technologies — Infobox Company name = Hexaware Technologies type = Public (BSE/NSE:HEXT) genre = foundation = 1990 founder = Atul Nishar location city = Mumbai location country = India location = locations = Mumbai, Chennai Pune area served = key people = Mr… … Wikipedia
Ixigo.com — is a travel search engine headquartered in Gurgaon, India. iXiGO is an infomediary that aggregates searches for flights, hotels and buses, by searching across 40 different websites to deliver results. They do not handle booking of tickets (unlike … Wikipedia
Business process outsourcing — (BPO) contains the transmission of processes along with the associated operational activities and responsibilities, to a third party with at least a guaranteed equal service level and where the client contains a firm grip over the (activities of… … Wikipedia
Nagarro — Infobox Company company company name = Nagarro Inc company type = Private slogan = Complex is cool foundation = 1996 location = Silicon Valley,USA key people = Vikas Sehgal President CEO num employees = 480+ industry = Information Technology… … Wikipedia
Anantara Solutions Pvt Ltd — Infobox Company company name = Anantara Solutions Private Limited company company type = Private slogan = The power of the continuum foundation = 1995 location = Chennai, India key people = Prabhat G.B, Founder CEOservices =Second Generation… … Wikipedia