- Thames sailing barge
A Thames sailing barge was a type of commercial
sailing boatcommon on the River Thamesin Londonin the 19th century. The flat-bottomed barges were perfectly adapted to the Thames Estuary, with its shallow waters and narrow rivers.
The barges also traded much further afield, to the north of
England, the South Coast and even to continental European ports. Cargoes varied enormously: bricks, mud, hay, rubbish, sand, coaland grain, for example. Due to the efficiency of a Thames barge's gear, a crewof only two sufficed for most voyages, although by today's standards it would have been hard physical work at times.
Build and rigging
The vast majority of barges were
wooden hulled (although a significant number were also built in steel), between 80 and 90 feet (25 to 30 m) long with a beam of around 20 feet (6 m). The hull form was as distinctive as their rig, being flat-bottomed with a degree of flair to the sides and plumb ends. The stern was a transom, shaped like a section through a champagne glass, on which was hung a large rudder. The hull was mainly a hold with two small living areas in the bow and stern, and access was through two large hatchways, the smaller before the main mast and a much larger aperture behind.
They were usually
spritsailrigged on two masts. Most had a topsailabove the huge mainsailand a large foresail. The mizzen was a much smaller mast on which was set a single sail whose main purpose was to aid steering when tacking. The rig also allowed a relatively large sail area on the upper part of the mast, to catch wind when moored ships, buildings or trees blocked wind on the water's surface. Sail areas varied from 3000 to 5000 square feet (300 to 500 m²) depending on the size of the barge. The typical, attractive rusty-red colour of the flaxsails was due to the dressing used to waterproof them. No auxiliary power was used originally but many barges were fitted with engines in the later years.
In good conditions, sailing barges could attain speeds over 12 knots, and their
leeboards allowed them to be highly effective windward performers. The unusual sprits'l rig allowed any combination of sails to be set: even the topsail on its own could be effective in some conditions.
The flat-bottomed hull made these craft extremely versatile and economical. They could float in as little as 3 feet (1 m) of water and could dry out in the tidal waters without heeling over. This allowed them to visit the narrow tributaries and creeks of the Thames to load farm cargoes, or to dry out on the sand banks and mudflats to load materials for building and brickmaking (it was no coincidence that their use peaked while London was expanding rapidly). The main mast could be lowered to clear bridges. Furthermore, unlike most sailing craft, these barges could sail completely unballasted — a major saving in labour and time.
Their heyday came at the turn of the 20th century when over 2000 were on the registry. That century saw a steady decline in their numbers. The last Thames barge to trade entirely under sail was the Everard-built "Cambria" in 1970, owned by Captain A. W. (Bob) Roberts. Roberts had sailed the "Cambria" for more than twenty years, and gained a reputation for hard sailing and fast passages in other Everard barges.
"Cambria"'s last mate was Dick Durham from Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, with whom Bob carried the last freight under sail alone: a 100 tons of cattle cake from Tilbury Dock to Ipswich in October 1970. Dick wrote Bob Roberts' biography: The Last Sailorman and is available for lectures on the barge and the life of her colourful skipper. You can contact him on 01702 713613.
There was never a shortage of youths ready to sail in the barges, but few could put up with the workload, the weather conditions and the sparse income of the "mate's berth". Following the Second World War, the coastal barge trade diminished as the nation became more mechanised. Cargoes went by road instead of by sea, squeezing the purses of the barge owners, until most of the once-handsome barges were given motors and relegated to short, lightering passages within the Thames Estuary.
Today, a small number of sailing barges remain, converted to pleasure craft and commonly sailed in the annual races which take place in the Thames Estuary.
The barges' performance was perfected through the annual sailing matches, in which they competed for trophies and cash prizes. The matches are credited with encouraging improvements in design, leading to the craft's highly efficient final form. They were begun in 1863 by a wealthy owner called Henry Dodd. Dodd was a plough boy from Hackney,
London, who made his fortune carrying the city's waste to the country on the barges. He may well have been the model for Charles Dickens' character the Golden Dustman, in " Our Mutual Friend". On his death in 1881, Dodd left £5000 for future match prizes.
The matches have ceased and been reinstituted several times, and are now considered the world's second oldest sailing race (after the
America's Cup). The course was originally from Erithdownstream, but as of 2006is from Gravesend into the Estuary and back to Hope Point on the Hoo Peninsula.
Norfolk wherry- another flat bottomed cargo boat for operating in rivers.
* [http://www.thamesmatch.co.uk/ Thames barge sailing matches]
* [http://www.thamesbarge.org.uk/ Thames Barge website] Groups preserving the remaining barges today
* [http://www.bargetrust.org/ Thames Sailing Barge Trust]
* [http://www.sailingbargeassociation.co.uk/ Sailing Barge Association]
* [http://www.bexleyweb.co.uk/pictures.asp Photographs of the 1957 Thames Barge Match]
* [http://www.cambriatrust.org.uk/ Cambria Trust] Website supporting the restoration of the Thames sailing barge "Cambria" at Faversham
* [http://www.thalatta.org.uk/ Thames Barge Thalatta] Website by the East Coast Sail Trust supporting the restoration of the Thames sailing barge Thalatta.
* [http://www.thamesbarge.org.uk/barges/barges/mirosa.html Mirosa] - One of the only two engineless barges.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.