- Ringo (album)
Ringo Studio album by Ringo Starr Released 2 November 1973 (US)
23 November 1973 (UK)
Recorded 5 March - 26 July 1973 Genre Rock Length 37:07 Label Apple SWAL-3413 Producer Richard Perry Ringo Starr chronology Beaucoups of Blues
Ringo is the third album by Ringo Starr, released in 1973 on Apple Records. It peaked at #7 on the UK Albums Chart and #2 on the Billboard 200, and has been certified platinum by the RIAA. In Canada, it reached #1 on the RPM national albums chart. The album is noted for the appearance of all four Beatles, and for its numerous guest stars, something which would become a signature for Starr on many of his future albums and tours.
After releasing the standards tribute Sentimental Journey and the country and western Beaucoups of Blues, both in 1970, Starr would only record and release a couple of singles in the interim, namely "It Don't Come Easy" in 1971 and "Back Off Boogaloo" in 1972. While both were big successes and would have ordinarily inspired albums to support them, Starr declined to follow through, preferring to concentrate on acting during this period.
In early 1973, Starr decided the time was right to begin—in his mind—his first proper solo album, despite its two predecessors. Having already used Richard Perry to arrange one of the tracks on Sentimental Journey, Starr asked Perry to produce the sessions, which began that March.
As soon as Starr sent word to all his musician friends to help him in his new venture, they all responded positively. Taking part in the sessions were Marc Bolan, members of The Band, Billy Preston, Klaus Voormann, Nicky Hopkins, Harry Nilsson and Jim Keltner. Additionally, all three of his former bandmates appeared on and composed material for Ringo, and Starr, Lennon and Harrison appear together on the Lennon-penned song "I'm The Greatest". Not surprisingly, when word of the session hit the media, furious Beatles reunion rumours (the first of several) began spreading. It would be the closest to a Beatles reunion until Eric Clapton's wedding party on 19 May 1979, followed by the recording of Harrison's All Those Years Ago in 1981 and the The Beatles Anthology project in 1995.
The experience of making Ringo was an enjoyable one for Starr and all involved, with its wide acceptance only furthering his personal feeling of success. Upon its November release, the critics were very warm in their appraisal, with Ringo hitting #1 for three weeks in Canada, reaching #7 in the United Kingdom, and denied the top spot in the United States by Elton John's blockbuster Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (it still managed to peak at #1 in Cashbox and Record World ). In the US, the singles from Ringo "Photograph" and Starr's cover of "You're Sixteen" both went to #1, while becoming Top 10 UK hits.
In an interesting note, the original cassette tape and 8-track versions of the album, as well as a small number of early promotional copies of the vinyl album, contained a longer version of "Six O'Clock". All of the stock copies of vinyl version of the LP, including both the original pressing and the 1981 LP re-release of the album, as well as the CD (and the album's 1981 re-release on cassette tape), contained a shorter version of the song. The record label on the original stock pressing of the vinyl album incorrectly lists the running time of "Six O'Clock" as 5:26, which may have led some to mistakenly assume that the original pressing contained the long version of the song. The label on the reissued vinyl album correctly lists the running time as 4:06. At the time of release, various reviews and press articles of the day stated that the longer version was "snuck" onto the tape duplicating masters at the last moment. The longer version of "Six O'Clock" was oddly not added as a bonus track to the re-issue of the CD, but rather to the re-issue of the "Goodnight Vienna" CD.
Artwork for a quadrophonic version was produced, but was never released.
When the Ringo album was remastered and reissued on CD in 1991, the three bonus tracks included on it were all from singles: Starr's 1971 hit single "It Don't Come Easy" and its b-side "Early 1970", as well as "Photograph"'s flip side "Down And Out".
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic link Rolling Stone (not rated) link
- "I'm the Greatest" (John Lennon) – 3:21
- "Have You Seen My Baby" (Randy Newman) – 3:44
- "Photograph" (George Harrison, Starkey) – 3:56
- "Sunshine Life for Me (Sail Away Raymond)" (Harrison) – 2:45
- "You're Sixteen" (Bob Sherman/Dick Sherman) – 2:48
- "Oh My My" (Poncia/Starkey) – 4:16
- "Step Lightly" (Starkey) – 3:15
- "Six O'Clock" (P. McCartney) – 4:06
- Starr - lead vocal, drums; P. McCartney - piano, synthesizer, string and flute arrangements, backing vocal; Poncia - guitar, percussion; Voormann - bass; L. McCartney - backing vocal
- "Devil Woman" (Poncia/Starkey) – 3:50
- "You and Me (Babe)" (Harrison/Mal Evans) – 4:59
- Starr - lead vocal, drums; Harrison - electric guitar; Poncia - acoustic guitar; Hopkins - electric piano; Holland - marimba; Scott - horn arrangements; Nitzsche - string arrangements
1991 Reissue bonus tracks
- "It Don't Come Easy" (Harrison/Starkey) - 3:02
- "Early 1970" (Starkey) - 2:20
- Starr - lead vocal, drums, acoustic guitar, piano; Harrison - electric guitars, bass, backing vocal
- Originally released as the b-side to "It Don't Come Easy" in 1971
- "Down and Out" (Starkey) - 3:04
- Probable line-up: Starr - lead vocal, drums; Harrison - electric guitar; Gary Wright - piano; Voormann - bass; unknown horns
- Originally released as the b-side to "Photograph" in 1973
Single Date UK Rank U.S. Rank "Photograph" 5 October 1973 #8 #1 "You're Sixteen" 8 February 1974 #4 #1 "Oh My My" 8 February 1974 (U.S. only) #5
- ^ Wonderful Tonight, by Patty Boyd
- ^ Sharon Mawer. "US number two albums". Archived from the original on 17 April 2009. http://www.webcitation.org/query?id=1240005044358762. Retrieved 19 March 2009.
- ^ "Billboard, CASHBOX & Record World ��1 ALBUMS(1973年)". Archived from the original on 17 April 2009. http://www.webcitation.org/query?id=1240005049023979. Retrieved 19 March 2009.
- ^ Harry Castleman & Walter J. Podrazik, All Together Now: The First Complete Beatles Discography 1961-1975 (New York: Ballantine Books, 1975), 268; and Perry Cox & Joe Lindsay, The Official Price Guide to The Beatles Records and Memorabilia (New York: House of Collectibles, 1995), 235.
- ^ Harry Castleman & Walter J. Podrazik, All Together Now: The First Complete Beatles Discography 1961-1975 (New York: Ballantine Books, 1975), 268; and the labels on Apple Records SWAL 3413 & Capitol Records SN-16114.
You Don't Mess Around with Jim
by Jim Croce
Canadian RPM 100 number-one album
December 22, 1973 (1 week)
Life and Times by Jim Croce
Ringo Starr Studio albums Live albumsRingo Starr and His All-Starr Band · Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band Volume 2: Live from Montreux · Ringo Starr and His Third All-Starr Band-Volume 1 · VH1 Storytellers · King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents Ringo & His New All-Starr Band · Extended Versions · Tour 2003 · Ringo Starr and Friends · Ringo Starr: Live at Soundstage · Ringo Starr & His All Starr Band Live 2006 · Live at the Greek Theatre 2008 Compilations Other albums Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ringo (album) — Ringo Album par Ringo Starr Sortie 2 novembre 1973 Enregistrement Mars juillet 1973 Durée 37:07 Genre Rock Producteur … Wikipédia en Français
Ringo (álbum) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Ringo Álbum de Ringo Starr Publicación 2 de noviembre de 1973 (Estados Unidos) 23 de noviembre de 1973 (Reino Unido) … Wikipedia Español
Ringo — may refer to: *Ringo (sport), a sport played mainly in Poland *Oscar Bonavena (1942 1976), Argentinian boxer nicknamed Ringo * A photo hosting website. (Service ended as of June 2008) * Ringo (song), a 1964 single by Lorne Greene * Ringo (album) … Wikipedia
Ringo Starr — (2007) Ringo Starr, MBE, (* 7. Juli 1940 in Liverpool als Richard Henry Parkin Starkey Jr.) ist ein britischer Musiker und Schauspieler. Weltweite Bekanntheit erlangte er als Schlagzeuger der Band The Beatles, der er vom 16. August 1962 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ringo Starr — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Ringo Starr Richard Starkey Información personal Origen 7 de julio de … Wikipedia Español
Ringo Shiina — 椎名 林檎 Nom Yumiko Shiina (椎名裕美子, Shiina Yumiko?) Naissance 25 novembre … Wikipédia en Français
Ringo's Rotogravure — Album par Ringo Starr Sortie 17 septembre 1976 Enregistrement Avril – juin 1976 Durée 34:23 Genre Rock Producteur … Wikipédia en Français
Ringo Starr and Friends — Live par Ringo Starr Sortie 15 août 2005 Durée 62:00 Genre Rock Producteur Ringo Starr Mark Hudson … Wikipédia en Français
Ringo the 4th — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Ringo the 4th Álbum de Ringo Starr Publicación 30 de septiembre de 1977 Grabación Junio de 1977 … Wikipedia Español
Ringo Rama — Album par Ringo Starr Sortie 24 mars 2003 Enregistrement 2002 Durée 49:52 Genre Rock Producteur … Wikipédia en Français