- Reverend Billy C. Wirtz
Infobox musical artist |
Name = Reverend Billy C. Wirtz
Background = solo_singer
Genre = Rock, Comedy, Blues
Occupation = Singer and Songwriter ,
Years_active = 1980 – Present
URL = http://www.reverendbilly.com
Reverend Billy C. Wirtz (
1954) is an American blues musician and comedian from Aiken, SC.
Reverend Billy C. Wirtz is a
recording artistwhose material consists of irreverent comedyroutines set to music. His humor is somewhat raunchy, if not offensive, and thus is not normally considered suitable for children. His material often mocks conservativepolitics and religion.
Wirtz was born in
1954in the small town of Aiken, South Carolina. His father was a federal employee and a sociologistwhile his mother was a writer. His family moved to Washington, D.C.when he was nine years old.
1990, his album Backslider's Tractor Pull won an award for Comedy Album of the Year by the National Association of Independent Record Distributors (NAIRD). Found on that album is perhaps his most famous parody of the all-American icon, Waffle House. In his song, " Waffle House Fire", while never outright offensive or disdainful of the enterprise, he subtly captures the mood and tenor of the 3:00 a.m. insanity that exists therein, and which would likewise attract and imprison a restless soul in what he phrases "a 24-hour breakfast hell."
Wirtz had a one-night stint as the "houseband" on WCW Monday Night Nitro wrestling.
The Nashville Network, USA Networkand NBChave showcased Wirtz's talents, along with nationwide morning radio shows. Similarly, " Waffle House Fire" has been featured on XM Radio's Channel 151, Laugh USA. Wirtz performs concerts and at festivals and events, and on his website humorously "advertizes" he is available for "your club, bar mitzvah, or piercing."
* Stairway to Freebird/On the Rag Again - No Big Deal Records (undated)
* Rib Ticklin' - Memphis in May International Festival Inc (2000)
* The Best of the Wirtz (5 track Radio promo) - Hightone Records (2001)
* Salvation Through Polyester - No Big Deal Records (1983)
* Rev Elation - Rest Stop Records (1985)
* Deep Fried and Sanctified - King Snake Records (1988)
* Deep Fried and Sanctified - Hightone Records (1989)
* Backslider's Tractor Pull - Hightone Records (1990)
* A Turn For the Wirtz: Confessions of a Hillbilly Love God - Hightone Records (1992)
* Pianist Envy - Hightone Records (1994)
* Songs of Faith and Inflammation - Hightone Records (1996)
* Unchained Maladies - Hightone Records (1998)
* The Best of the Wirtz - Hightone Records (2001)
* Sermon from Bethlehem -
Blind Pig Records(2006)
* Official website [http://www.reverendbilly.com www.reverendbilly.com]
* [http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:kzjqoa9abij9~T0 www.allmusic.com profile]
* [http://www.hightone.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=111 www.hightone.com profile]
* [http://www.blindpigrecords.com/index.cfm?section=artists&artistid=66 www.blindpigrecords.com profile]
* [http://web.roanoke.edu/x1158.xml Roanoke College's profile]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Wirtz — could refer to:*People: ** Alvin J. Wirtz (1888 1951), American laywer, advocated the formation of the Lower Colorado River Authority, under secretary Department of the Interior (1940 1941) ** Arthur Wirtz (1901 1983), businessman, owner Chicago… … Wikipedia
Darryl Rhoades — Born June 7, 1950 (1950 06 07) (age 61) Origin Louisville, Kentucky Genres Rock Comedy Country Occupations … Wikipedia
List of fictional religions — For religions which contributed to the Orange Catholic Bible, see: List of religions in the Orange Catholic Bible This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it. Contents: Top · 0–9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R … Wikipedia
Tommy (album) — Tommy Studio album by The Who Released 23 May 1969 Recorded 19 September 1968 – 7 March 1969 … Wikipedia