- Cease to Begin
Cease to Begin Studio album by Band of Horses Released October 9, 2007 (U.S.)
July 23, 2008 (Japan)
Recorded Echo Mountain Studios, Asheville, North Carolina Genre Indie rock Length 34:45 Label Sub Pop Records Producer Phil Ek Professional reviews
The reviews parameter has been deprecated. Please move reviews into the “Reception” section of the article. See Moving reviews into article space.
Band of Horses chronology Everything All the Time
Cease to Begin
Cease to Begin is the second album by Band of Horses, released on October 9, 2007.
Following the release of their debut album, Everything All the Time, founder members Mat Brooke, Chris Early and Tim Meinig all left the band. Band leader Ben Bridwell recruited Joe Arnone (guitar & keyboards), Creighton Barrett (drums) and Rob Hampton (bass & guitar) as replacements, although Joe Arnone left the band prior to their 2007 tour. Robin Peringer (Modest Mouse - guitar), Matt Gentling (Archers of Loaf - bass) and Ryan Monroe (keyboards) joined the band for the tour, although only Monroe stayed for the recording of Cease to Begin. After the album's release he became a full band member.
The album debuted at number 35 on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart and was #47 on Rolling Stone's list of the Top 50 Albums of 2007. It was also a minor hit in Scandinavia, charting in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Cease to Begin was released in Japan on July 23, 2008 by Tear Bridge Records. The Japanese version featured an enhanced video for "Is There a Ghost" plus three live bonus tracks, including a cover of Ronnie Wood's "Act Together", written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, which he recorded for his album, I've Got My Own Album to Do.
Ben Bridwell described the sound of Cease to Begin, "I guess the first record had some kind of country-ish leanings...I think there's maybe a little bit more of [that] feeling on it, a little more down-home...not so much indie rock."
The first track, "Is There a Ghost", was made available for download on the band's MySpace page on August 28, 2007 and made number 93 on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Best Songs of 2007. The song became the band's first single to chart in the United States, peaking at #34 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart. The album's second single "No One's Gonna Love You" was featured as a free iTunes download, distributed at Starbucks locations.
No. Title Writer(s) Length 1. "Is There a Ghost" Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett 2:59 2. "Ode to LRC" Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett 4:16 3. "No One's Gonna Love You" Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett 3:37 4. "Detlef Schrempf" Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett 4:28 5. "The General Specific" Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett, Monroe 3:07 6. "Lamb on the Lam (in the City)" Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett 0:50 7. "Islands on the Coast" Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett 3:34 8. "Marry Song" Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett 3:23 9. "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands" Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett 4:35 10. "Window Blues" Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett 4:01 Japan-only Bonus Tracks No. Title Writer(s) Length 11. "No One's Gonna Love You" (Live BBC session) Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett 12. "Is There a Ghost" (Live BBC session) Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett 13. "Act Together" (Live BBC session) Jagger, Richards 14. "Is There a Ghost" (Enhanced video) Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett
- Track 4 is named after the German basketball player Detlef Schrempf who played for Seattle SuperSonics in the 1990s, although no mention of him is made in the song's lyrics.
- Phil Ek - producer
- Jon Ashley - assistant engineer
- Julian Dreyer - assistant engineer
- Cameron Nicklaus - assistant engineer
- Dusty Summers - design
- Christopher Wilson - photography
- Ben Bridwell - Lead vocals, guitar.
- Rob Hampton - Guitar, bass guitar.
- Creighton Barrett - Drums.
- Ryan Monroe - Keyboards.
- "Is There a Ghost" (August 28, 2007)
- "No One's Gonna Love You" (February 25, 2008)
Chart Peak US Billboard 200 35  UK Albums Chart 149  Danish Albums Chart 23  French Albums Chart 199  Norwegian Albums Chart 18  Swedish Albums Chart 57 
Cease to Begin tracks in popular culture
- "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands" was used in the game Guitar Hero 5.
- "Is There a Ghost" was used in Season 2 of the TV series Fringe in episode 21, "Northwest Passage."
- "Is There a Ghost" and "No One's Gonna Love You" are available as downloads for the Rock Band series via the Rock Band Network.
- "Is There A Ghost" was used in the 2010 film Due Date.
- "No One's Gonna Love You" was used in Season 5 of the TV series One Tree Hill in episode 6, "Don't Dream It's Over"
- "No One's Gonna Love You" was used in the 2009 film Zombieland.
- "No One's Gonna Love You" was used in Season 1 of the TV series Chuck in episode 10, "Chuck Versus the Nemesis."
- "No One's Gonna Love You" was used in Season 5 of the TV series Numb3rs in episode 23, "Angels and Devils"
- "The General Specific" was used in Season 1 of the TV series Gossip Girl in episode 11, "Roman Holiday."
- "The General Specific" was used in Season 1 of the TV series Chuck, in episode 3, "Chuck Versus the Tango."
- Cee-Lo Green has recorded a cover of "No One's Gonna Love You" for his 2010 album The Lady Killer.
- Renee Fleming has recorded a cover of "No One's Gonna Love You" for her album her 2010 album Dark Hope.
- Austin Chronicle, Doug Freeman, #1 album of 2007
- Delusions of Adequacy, #9 album of 2007
- Filter Magazine, #2 album of 2007
- The Onion AV Club, #5 album of 2007
- Paste Magazine, #9 album of 2007
- ^ a b Band of Horses > Chart History > Billboard Albums Allmusic
- ^ Guide to the Misguided Stereogum - December 17, 2007
- ^ a b c d e Cease to Begin Ultratop entry - Ultratop
- ^ The Return of Band of Horses - Cease to Begin eachnotesecure.com - July 20, 2007
- ^ Rolling Stone lists rocklist.net
- ^ Band Of Horses - Is There A Ghost Allmusic
- ^ Tacopino, Joe "Southern Comfort: An Interview with Band of Horses' Ben Bridwell" PopMatters - November 8, 2007
- ^ "Official Album Chart for the week ending May 1, 2010". ChartsPlus (Liverpool: UKChartsPlus) (453): 5–8.
- ^ "Fringe - Northwest Passage (first aired May 6 2010)" Heard On TV
- ^ "Soundtracks for Due Date" IMDb
- ^ "Soundtracks for "One Tree Hill" Don't Dream It's Over (2008)" IMDb
- ^ "Soundtracks for Zombieland (2009)" IMDb
- ^ "Chuck - Versus The Nemesis (first aired November 26 2007)" Heard On TV
- ^ "Soundtracks for Numbers - Angels and Devils (2009)" IMDb
- ^ "Soundtracks for Gossip Girl - Roman Holiday" IMDb
- ^ "Soundtracks for Chuck - Chuck Versus the Tango (2007)" IMDb
- ^ Larry Fitzmaurice, "Cee-Lo Covers Band of Horses' No One's Gonna Love You" Pitchfork - July 1, 2010
- ^ Cease to Begin Metacritic entry Metacritic
AlbumsEverything All the Time • Cease to Begin • Infinite Arms Related bands
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cease to Begin — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Cease to Begin Álbum de Band of Horses Publicación 9 de octubre de 2007 (Estados Unidos) 23 de julio de 2008 (Japón) Grabación Ec … Wikipedia Español
Cease to Begin — Album par Band of Horses Sortie 9 octobre 2007 Durée 34:45 Genre Indie Rock Producteur Band of Horses Phil Ek … Wikipédia en Français
begin — begin, commence, start, initiate, inaugurate are comparable when they mean to set something going or in progress or to take the first step in a course, process, or operation. Begin, commence, and start are also used intransitively with the… … New Dictionary of Synonyms
cease — *stop, quit, discontinue, desist Analogous words: end, terminate, *close, conclude, finish: stay, suspend, intermit (see DEFER) Contrasted words: *spring, arise, rise, originate: *begin, commence, start, initiate, inaugurate: * … New Dictionary of Synonyms
cease — [v] stop, conclude back off, break off, bring to an end, call it a day*, call it quits*, close, close out, come to an end, culminate, cut it out*, desist, die, discontinue, drop, end, fail, finish, give over, halt, intermit, knock off*, leave off … New thesaurus
Begin, Menachem — (1913–92) Etzel commander and Israel political leader. Whatever the moral and political questions it raised, the Irgun Tzvai Leumi (National Military Organization) under Begin’s command was on the operational level one of the most effective… … Who’s Who in Jewish History after the period of the Old Testament
cease — /sees/, v., ceased, ceasing, n. v.i. 1. to stop; discontinue: Not all medieval beliefs have ceased to exist. 2. to come to an end: At last the war has ceased. 3. Obs. to pass away; die out. v.t. 4. to put a stop or end to; discontinue: He begged… … Universalium
begin — verb 1) we began work Syn: start, commence, set about, go about, embark on, launch into, get down to, take up; initiate, set in motion, institute, inaugurate, get ahead with; informal get cracking on, get going on Ant … Thesaurus of popular words
Daniel L. Cease — (? March 22, 1928) was editor and manager of The Railroad Trainman in Cleveland, Ohio. The publication was a monthly published by the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen In 1913 and again in 1926 he was on the Board of Arbitration of the … Wikipedia
Menachem Begin — מנחם בגין 6th Prime Minister of Israel In office 21 June 1977 – 10 October 1983 Preceded by Yitzhak Rabin … Wikipedia