- Advanced Learning and Research Institute
name = Advanced Learning and Research Institute
established = 1999
type = Graduate
address = Via G. Buffi 13,
telephone = 0041 58 666 4706
faculty = 29 (visiting) [ [http://www.alari.ch/People/Faculty.htm Faculty List] ]
postgrad = 43 [ [http://www.alari.ch/People/CurrentStudents.htm Student List] ] (2006)
doctoral = 8 (2006)
website = [http://www.alari.ch www.alari.ch]
Advanced Learning and Research Institute (ALaRI) is a privately sponsored graduate school on the 4th floor of the main building of the University of Lugano ("see USI"), in
The single program course available is
Embedded System Design, diverging into the R&Dor Businessbranch. Two years are required for a Master's degree(MSc), one year for a Master's of Advanced Studies (MAS). The primary language of instruction is English.
Courses [ [http://www.alari.ch/Academics/MSCourses.htm Course Listing] ] are the same for MSc (R&D or Business) and MAS programs. MAS students must complete 70 ECTS (including thesis) within one year; MSc students must complete the 120 ECTS in two years. Courses are 25h to 50h in length, and vary in difficulty level (L, M, H) by time and absorption.
MSc Year 1
- Introductory Courses, in VHDL, C++, UML. (L)
- Hardware Architecture, basic digital logic, caches, pipelining. Evaluated on challenging exam, project in design space exploration. (L)
- Transform Theory : Fourier, Laplace, wavelets; MATLAB, exam. (H)
- Specification Languages: Focuses on description of components in a system; evaluated on successful completion of week-long
- Software Compilers: General compiler theory and artificial language description; project with SUIF. (H)
Statistics: General statistics course; exam. Cryptographyimplementation of DES/3DES, AES, DH, and other cryptographic methods on paper as theory and trace practice; exam. (H)
- Design Laboratory 1 . (M)
- Digital Control: overcoming problems posed by using digital processors for control theory; exam. (H)
- DSP in multimedia; MATLAB project. (M)
- Embedded Databases: database considerations for embedded devices. (L)
- Future trends in Microprocessor Architecture . (L)
- Networking for embedded TCP/IP cores. (L)
- Reprogrammable Systems: focus on FPGAs and efficient VHDL design; weeklong course and VHDL project. (H)
- RTOS and Scheduling: scheduling methods for RTOS; exam. (H)
- Validation and Verification methods used in low-level-software and hardware-synthesis.
MSc Year 2
- Dependable Systems. Low-difficulty course; emphasis on fault tolerance in memories and networks. (L)
- Low Power Design: Power analysis of architecture-level power reduction methods, evaluation of low-power methods with
SynopsysPrimePower (non data-dependent tool). (M) Microelectronics: as described from the physics-level up to the gate-level; fast-paced challenging exam. (M)
- Algorithms for Wireless Com.. Highest difficulty course, using MATLAB to design high-efficiency wireless communication systems. (H)
- Hw/Sw Codesign: partitioning, design space exploration, interface synthesis, and estimation.
- Design Laboratory 2.
- Low Power Software: Evaluation of (architecture-level and) OS-level effects on power usage.
- Network on chip I/II : SoC IP core design; challenging exam on design and theory.
- Performance Evaluation of queues; exam, project. (H)
- Retargettable Compilers: efficient code generation for embedded systems (optimization, retargetability, low-power); lab, exam. (M)
VLIWarchitectures, ILP architectures, compilers, software. (M)
MSc students may opt to take on additional course-load:
Finance, Accounting, Organization, Marketing, Purchasing, and a final business plan of a possible business implementing a given technology.
Thesis topics fall into five categories [ [http://www.alari.ch/Research/Projects2007.htm Theses Listing(2007)] ] :
- Security and communications
- HW/SW for Advanced Applications
- System-Level Design
- Low-Power Design
- Pervasive Computing
The ALaRI has two student associations:
EESTEC, and IEEE-RSAC8-SB. The EESTECbranch established in 2005 as observer (2007: LC) and serves the USI; but the majority of members are ALaRI due to the Computer Engineeringprogram offered therein. An IEEEstudent branch also exists at USI.
* [http://www.alari.ch/ ALaRI homepage]
* [http://www.eestec.unisi.ch/consult/ EESTEC (Students)]
* [http://www.ieee.unisi.ch/ IEEE Student Branch]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
St. Ephrem Ecumenical Research Institute — St. Ephraem Ecumenical Research Institute (SEERI) is a centre for Syriac studies based in Kerala, India. Ecumenical Vision SEERI is sponsored and supported by the Archeparchy of Tiruvalla of the Syro Malankara Catholic Church. However,its aims… … Wikipedia
American Iron and Steel Institute — The American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI) is an association of North American steel producers. With its predecessor organizations, is one of the oldest trade associations in the United States, dating back to 1855. It assumed its present form… … Wikipedia
Ministry of Education and Research (Sweden) — Ministry of Education and Research Utbildningsdepartementet overview Formed 1840 (1840) Employees about 200 Ministers responsible … Wikipedia
Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research — Infobox University name = Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) native name = image size = 100px caption = PGIMER Logo latin name = motto = service to the community, care of the needy and research for the good of all… … Wikipedia
S P Jain Institute of Management and Research — Infobox University name = S P Jain Institute of Management and Research established = 1981 type = Private (Education and Research) dean = Dr. M L Shrikant city = Mumbai state = Maharashtra country = India students = 335 MBA and 120 Other courses… … Wikipedia
National University of Study and Research in Law — NUSRL Motto Nasato vidyate bhavo … Wikipedia
education and research — Education has undergone major development in Spain since 1970, when it was first made free and compulsory for all to age 14 with the introduction of EGB. In the ten years to 1995, expenditure in absolute terms increased three fold, rising to 5 … Encyclopedia of contemporary Spanish culture
Institute for Social Engineering (ISE) — Institute for Social Engineering is an independent think tank and research institute with an action plan of experimenting the progressive ideas in the arena of social transformation. The Institute is based at Ujire, Karnataka, India. The members… … Wikipedia
Advanced Technical Intelligence Center — infobox Company company name = Advanced Technical Intelligence Center (ATIC) company company type = Nonprofit foundation = Beavercreek, Ohio, USA (2006) location = Greater Dayton Area Miami Valley industry = Research and Development Education… … Wikipedia
Institute of Information Technology, University of Dhaka — The Institute of Information Technology of the University of Dhaka commonly known as IIT is one of the fastest growing Institute of the University of Dhaka. IIT attracts high quality students in turn eminent faculty members have joined the… … Wikipedia