name = Swallow-wing
status = LC | status_system = IUCN3.1
classis = Aves
genus = "Chelidoptera"
genus_authority = Gould, 1837
species = "C. tenebrosa"
binomial = "Chelidoptera tenebrosa"
binomial_authority = (Pallas, 1782)
The Swallow-wing ("Chelidoptera tenebrosa") is a species of
birdin the Bucconidaefamily, the puffbirds. It is also called the Swallow-winged Puffbird. It is monotypic, the only species within the genus "Chelidoptera".
It is found in
Braziland the entire Amazon Basin; also Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, the Guianas, French Guiana, Guyana, Suriname, Peru, and Venezuela. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests, subtropical or tropical swamps, and heavily degraded former forest.
Distribution and habitat
The Swallow-winged Puffbird's range is throughout the
Amazon Basinto the foothills of the Andesin the west, in Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru. To the east-southeast, the range encompasses the Amazon's adjacent Tocantins- Araguaia Riverdrainage as well as about 900 km eastward. Southeastwards from the Amazon Basin across the Caatinga, a disjunct population occurs on the southeast coast of Brazil, in a 300-800 km wide coastal stripthat extends about 3000 km.
On the north Caribbean coast of
South America, in the west nearly all of Venezuela is in the bird's range. The coastal range is continuous eastwards through the Atlantic coastal Guianas, and ends east of the Tocantins-Araguaia drainage in the Brazilian states of Maranhãoand Piauí.
* BirdLife International 2004. [http://www.iucnredlist.org/search/details.php/47595/all Chelidoptera tenebrosa] . [http://www.iucnredlist.org 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. ] Downloaded on 24 July 2007.
* [http://ibc.hbw.com/ibc/phtml/especie.phtml?idEspecie=3620 "Swallow-winged Puffbird" videos] on the Internet Bird Collection
* [http://vireo.acnatsci.org/search.html?Form=Search&SEARCHBY=Scientific&KEYWORDS=chelidoptera+tenebrosa&showwhat=images&AGE=All&SEX=All&ACT=All&Search=Search&VIEW=All&ORIENTATION=All&RESULTS=24 Swallow-wing photo gallery] VIREO [http://vireo.acnatsci.org/species_image.php?species=Chelidoptera+tenebrosa Photo-High Res]
* [http://www.ib.usp.br/ceo/images/che_ten.jpgPhoto] ; [http://www.ib.usp.br/ceo/imag_sons/fvbucconid.htm Article] ib.usp.br
* [http://www.arthurgrosset.com/sabirds/photos/cheten14662.jpgPhoto-High Res] ; [http://www.arthurgrosset.com/sabirds/swallow-wing.html Article & synopsis] arthurgrosset [http://www.arthurgrosset.com/sabirds/photos/cheten10673.jpgPhoto-2--(no. 2 of 9)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
swallow-wing — ˈ ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷ˌ ̷ ̷ noun : a So. American barbet of the genus Chelidoptera … Useful english dictionary
Swallow-winged Puffbird — Conservation status Least Concern (IUCN 3.1) Scientific classification … Wikipedia
Swallow (disambiguation) — Swallow may refer to: *Swallow, one of several insectivorous birds in the family Hirundinidae **In particular, in Europe, the Barn Swallow *Swallow tattoo, a popular tattoo *Swallow (pigeon), a breed of domestic pigeon *Swallow (comics) a comic… … Wikipedia
Wing Bowl — is an annual eating contest founded in 1993 by Philadelphia talk radio hosts Al Morganti and Angelo Cataldi as a celebration of gluttony. The contest was first broadcast on WIP (AM).About 150 people attended Wing Bowl I (held in a hotel) in 1993… … Wikipedia
Swallow — This article is about the family of birds. For the action, see Swallowing. For other uses, see Swallow (disambiguation). Swallows Red rumped Swallow Scientific classificatio … Wikipedia
swallow — swallow1 swallowable, adj. swallower, n. /swol oh/, v.t. 1. to take into the stomach by drawing through the throat and esophagus with a voluntary muscular action, as food, drink, or other substances. 2. to take in so as to envelop; withdraw from… … Universalium
swallow — I. noun Etymology: Middle English swalowe, from Old English swealwe; akin to Old High German swalawa swallow Date: before 12th century 1. any of numerous small widely distributed oscine birds (family Hirundinidae, the swallow family) that have a… … New Collegiate Dictionary
swallow-tanager — /swol oh tan euh jeuhr/, n. a tropical American bird, Tersina viridis, related to the true tanagers but with longer, swallowlike wings. * * * ▪ bird (Tersina viridis), bird of northern South America, the sole member of the subfamily Tersininae,… … Universalium
swallow-tailed skipper — noun : a skipper butterfly (Urbanus proteus) of the eastern United States that is black with greenish reflections and has a long taillike process on each hind wing … Useful english dictionary
Black Saw-wing — Conservation status Least Concern (IUCN 3.1 … Wikipedia