- Harmful algal bloom
A harmful algal bloom (HAB) is a dense aggregation of
phytoplankton, algaeor cyanobacteriain a marine or aquatic environment that causes negative impacts to other organisms via production of natural toxins, mechanical damage to other organisms or by other means. The term " red tide" is often used colloquially to describe these phenomena, however scientists now prefer the term HAB, since
#not all algal blooms are harmful,
#not all algal blooms cause discoloration of water, and
#these blooms are not associated with tides. HABs are often associated with large-scale marine mortality events and have been associated with various types of shellfish poisonings.
paralytic shellfish poisoning
amnesic shellfish poisoning
neurotoxic shellfish poisoning
ciguatera fish poisoning
diarrhetic shellfish poisoning
*Anderson DM, 1997. Diversity of harmful algal blooms in coastal waters. Limnology & Oceanography 42(5, part 2):1009-1022.
*Landsberg JH, 2002. The effects of harmful algal blooms on aquatic organisms. Reviews in Fisheries Science, 10(2): 113–390.
* [http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=11913 Harmful Algae and Red Tide Information from the Coastal Ocean Institute] ,
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
* [http://www.fathom.com/course/10701012/index.html Toxic Blooms: Understanding Red Tides] , a seminar by the
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
* [http://www.chbr.noaa.gov/default.aspx?category=mb&pageName=biotoxin NOAA Marine Biotoxins Program] ,
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
* [http://www.tulane.edu/~bfleury/envirobio/enviroweb/DeadZone.htm Gulf of Mexico Dead Zone and Red Tides]
* [http://isurus.mote.org/~mhenry/rtupdate.phtml Red Tide updates for the Gulf Coast of Florida] provided by
Mote Marine Laboratoryin Sarasota, FL
* [http://calpreempt.ucsc.edu/index.htm California Program for Regional Enhanced Monitoring for PhycoToxins] ,
California Department of Health Servicesand the University of California, Santa Cruz
* [http://research.myfwc.com/support/view_faqs.asp?id=13 Red Tide FAQ] , Florida's Fish and Wildlife Research Institute
* [http://redtideflorida.org/pages/index.php/florida-red-tide-report/ Red Tide Report] A Compilation of citizen based, media and official reports of the locations and severity of current Red Tide Blooms.
* [http://redtideflorida.org Florida Red Tide Coalition] A citizen based group dedicated to raising awareness of Red Tide, debunking myths, educating the public and taking action to promote or oceans health and help stop red tide.
* [http://isurus.mote.org/niehsredtidestudy/ NIEHS study of airborne impacts of Florida red tide]
* [http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/sf/BiotoxinProgram.htm Washington State Shellfish Biotoxin Program]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Algal bloom — Algal blooms can present problems for ecosystems and human society An algal bloom is a rapid increase or accumulation in the population of algae (typically microscopic) in an aquatic system. Algal blooms may occur in freshwater as well as marine… … Wikipedia
HAB — harmful algal bloom; histoacryl blue … Medical dictionary
HAB — • harmful algal bloom; • histoacryl blue … Dictionary of medical acronyms & abbreviations
Red tide — is a common name for a phenomenon known as an algal bloom, an event in which estuarine, marine, or fresh water algae accumulate rapidly in the water column, or bloom . These algae, more specifically phytoplankton, are microscopic, single celled… … Wikipedia
Cyanotoxin — Green scum produced by and containing cyanobacteria, washed up on a rock in California during an algal bloom Cyanotoxins are toxins produced by bacteria called cyanobacteria (also known as blue green algae). Cyanobacteria are found almost… … Wikipedia
Iron fertilization — For information on ocean fertilization schemes not involving iron, see ocean nourishment. An oceanic phytoplankton bloom in the South Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Argentina covering an area about 300 miles (480 km) by 50 miles Iron… … Wikipedia
Fisheries glossary — This is a glossary of terms used in fisheries, fisheries management and fisheries science. A * Abundance is a measure of how many fish are in a population or a fishing ground. See relative abundance and absolute abundance.* Acoustic survey a… … Wikipedia
Saxitoxin — Chembox new ImageFile = Saxitoxin structure.png ImageSize = IUPACName = (3aS (3a α,4 α,10aR*))2,6 diamino 4 (((amino carbonyl)oxy)methyl) 3a,4,8,9 tetrahydro 1H,10H pyrrolo(1,2 c)purine 10,10 diol OtherNames = Section1 = Chembox Identifiers CASNo … Wikipedia
Heterosigma akashiwo — taxobox name = Heterosigma akashiwo regnum = Chromalveolata phylum = Heterokontophyta classis = Raphidophyceae familia = Heterosigmataceae genus = Heterosigma species = H. akashiwo binomial = Heterosigma akashiwo binomial authority = (Y. Hada) Y … Wikipedia
Pfiesteria — Taxobox | color = greenyellow name = Pfiesteria image width = 240px image caption = regnum = Protista phylum = Dinoflagellata classis = Dinophyceae ordo = Phytodiniales genus = Pfiesteria subdivision ranks = Species subdivision = Pfiesteria… … Wikipedia