- 516th Aeronautical Systems Wing
Infobox Military Unit
unit_name=516th Aeronautical Systems Wing
caption= Emblem of the WPAFB Aeronautical Systems Center
Air Force Material Command
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base
battle_honours=The 516th Aeronautical Systems Wing (516 ASW) is a wing of the
United States Air Forceassigned to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
The 516th ASW is responsible for modernization, development, test, production, deployment and sustainment of new and existing aircraft systems to meet Air Mobility Command, Air Force Reserve Command, Air National Guard, and Special Ops Forces Global Mobility mission areas. The wing executes a $16.9 billion budget.
The 517th Aeronautical Systems Wing is comprised of the following units:
* 866th Aeronautical Systems Group (C-130): Directs the modernization, development, test, production, deployment and plans for sustainment of the C-130 aircraft, support, and training systems. This Department of Defense airlift program provides tactical airlift capability in support of U.S. national interests.
* 716th Aeronautical Systems Group (C-5): Directs the modernization, development, test, production, deployment and plans for sustainment of C-5 aircraft, support and training systems. This Department of Defense airlift modernization program provides strategic airlift capability in support of U.S. national interests.
* 516th Aeronautical Systems Group (C-17): Directs the modernization, development, test, production, deployment and sustainment of C-17 aircraft, F117 engine, support, and training systems. This Department of Defense airlift program provides vital airlift capability in support of U.S. national interests.
* 653d Aeronautical Systems Squadron, (Tanker Modernization): Directs the development, test, production, deployment and sustainment of KC-10 Aircraft Modernization and KC-135 Replacement Tanker aircraft, support, and training systems programs. These programs provide strategic mobility and force enabling capability to Air Mobility Command in support of U.S. national interests and worldwide readiness support.
* 654th Aeronautical Systems Squadron (LAIRCM): Directs the development, test, production, deployment and plans for sustainment of the Large Aircraft Infrared Counter Measures system for both transport and tanker aircraft. This Department of Defense program develops advanced missile warning systems and countermeasures.
* 655th Aeronautical Systems Squadron (Commercial Derivatives): Directs the acquisition, modernization, deployment and sustainment of a fleet of leased and purchased aircraft for the operational support airlift/very important person special air mission (OSA/VIPSAM) that includes the C-32A, C-37A/B, C-40B/C, and E-10. The program supports Air Mobility Command, Air National Guard, and Air Force Reserve missions providing support airlift and communications capability to our nation’s leaders.
* Established as 516th Troop Carrier Wing, Medium, on 10 May 1949: Activated in the Reserve on 26 Jun 1949: Ordered to active service on 16 Apr 1951: Inactivated on 16 Jan 1953
* 516th Troop Carrier Group activated 8 Mar 1955: Inactivated 9 Jul 1956
* Activated on 19 Jul 1962: Organized on 1 Jan 1963: Redesignated: 516th Troop Carrier Wing on 1 Mar 1966: Redesignated: 516th Tactical Airlift Wing on 1 May 1967: Inactivated on 1 Jun 1972
* Redesignated: 516th Aeronautical Systems Wing 2003: Activated 2003
Continental Air Command: Fourteenth Air Force, 26 Jun 1947
Tactical Air Command, 17 Apr 1951: Eighteenth Air Force, 8 Mar 1955-9 Jul 1956
Tactical Air Command, 19 Jul 1962: Twelfth Air Force, 1 Jan 1963:: 839th Air Division, 1 Jul 1963 - 9 Nov 1964:: 838th Air Division, 9 Nov 1964-24 Dec 1969: Twelfth Air Force, 24 Dec 1969:: 834th Air Division, 15 Mar-1 Jun 1972.
Air Force Material Command2006 - Present: WPAFB Aeronautical Systems Center
* Memphis Muni Aprt,
Tennessee, 26 Jun 1949-16 Jan 1953
Sewart AFB, Tennessee: 8 Mar 1955 - 9 Jul 1956
Dyess AFB, Texas, 1 Jan 1963-1 Jun 1972.
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio2006-Present
* 516th Troop Carrier: 26 Jun 1949-16 Jan 1953: Detached and assigned to 314th Troop Carrier Wing : 8 Mar 1955 - 9 Jul 1956
* 17th Troop Carrier: 1 Jan 1963-15 Jun 1964.
* 18th Troop Carrier (later Military Airlift): 1 Jan-1 Jun 1963; 15 Oct 1969-1 Jun 1972
* 345th Troop Carrier: 8 Jan 1963-27 Nov 1965
* 346th Troop Carrier (later Military Airlift): 1 Apr 1963-15 Mar 1969: Detached 1 Jul—c. 1 Sep 1964, 5 Feb-30 May 1968
* 347th Troop Carrier (later Military Airlift): 1 Jul 1963 - 1 Jun 1972: Detached 18 May—c. 20 Jul 1964, 22 Jun-27 Sep 1967, 27 Jan-11 Mar 1968, 15 Jun-15 Oct 1968, 25 Feb-28 May 1969, 13 Jun-3 Sep 1969, 3 Feb-10 Apr 1970, 7 Sep-11 Nov 1970, 4 Jun-10 Aug 1971, 4 Feb-17 Apr 1972
* 348th Military Airlift: 5 Jul 1968-1 Jun 1972 : Detached 15 Oct 1968-10 Jan 1969, 1 Sep-13 Nov 1969, 5 May-7 Jul 1970, 5 Jan-10 Mar 1971, 5 Oct-17 Dec 1971, 8 May—1 Jun 1972).
* 4449th Combat Crew Training: 27 Aug-15 Oct 1969.
* T-7, 1949-1951
* T-11, 1949-1951
* C-46, 1949-1953
* C-119, 1952-1953
* C-130, 1963-1972
* C-7, 1969 1972.
Performed Reserve troop carrier training under supervision of 2584th Air Force Reserve Training Center, Jun 1949—Apr 1951. Upon entering active duty in Apr 1951. assumed responsibility for operating and maintaining Memphis Muni Aprt and participated in tactical exercises and worldwide airlift. Converted from C-46 to C-119 aircraft in 1952. Replaced by 463d Troop Carrier Wing in Jan 1953.
Replaced 64th Troop Carrier Wing in Jan 1963. Until replaced by 463d Tactical Airlift Wing in Jun 1972, performed worldwide tactical airlift and participated in a constant stream of tactical exercises and operations. Frequently deployed squadrons overseas in Europe, the Far East, and the Canal Zone. Conducted C-7 combat crew training in addition to other missions. Aug 1969—May 1972 (for USAF personnel) and Aug—Oct 1971 (for South Vietnamese crews)
Inactivated on 1 Jun 1972
* [http://www.wpafb.af.mil/ Wright-Patterson AFB Home Page]
* [http://usafengineers.com/modules.php?name=Units&file=details&id=164&unit=Aeronautical 516th Aeronautical Systems Wing]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Aeronautical Systems Center — Infobox Military Unit unit name= Aeronautical Systems Center caption= Aeronautical Systems Center emblem dates= 1917 Present country= United States allegiance= branch= United States Air Force type= role= Equipment procurement and sustainment size … Wikipedia
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base — Infobox Airport name = Wright Patterson Air Force Base nativename = Part of Air Force Materiel Command (AFMC) image width = 300 caption = October 10, 2000 image2 width = 200 caption2 = Location of Wright Patterson Air Force Base IATA = FFO ICAO … Wikipedia
Base aérienne de Wright-Patterson — Wright Patterson Air Force Base … Wikipédia en Français
Wright-Patterson — Air Force Base … Wikipédia en Français
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base — Wright Patterson Air Force Base … Wikipédia en Français
Robins Air Force Base — Part of Air Force Materiel Command (AFMC) Located near: Warner Robins, Georgia … Wikipedia
Edwards Air Force Base — Part of Air Force Materiel Command (AFMC) Located near: Edwards, California … Wikipedia
Air Force Research Laboratory — Emblem of AFRL … Wikipedia
Dyess Air Force Base — Part of Air Combat Command (ACC) Located near: Abilene, Texas … Wikipedia
Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center — Shield Active Country … Wikipedia