- Local-express lanes
A Local-express lane system is an arrangement of roadways within a major highway providing one of more roadways for express lanes with a limited number of entrances and exits and also separate roadways for local or collector lanes which provide access to all interchanges. Given the considerable overall width of this design new suburban freeways are often designed with interchanges spaced far enough apart to avoid the need for parallel roadways. Where highway ramps between express and local/collector lanes cross over another the result is known as a basketweave.
- California: Interstate 5 at the El Toro Y in Irvine, California and at the "5/805 merge" in Sorrento Valley, San Diego, California.
- California: Interstate 10 west of downtown Los Angeles in California from the Harbor Freeway (Interstate and State Route 110) to Arlington Avenue.
- California: Interstate 805 (northbound only) in Chula Vista, California between the H Street and E Street/Bonita Road exits
- California: California State Route 87 (Guadalupe Parkway) from Interstate 280 to Julian Street along Downtown San Jose (Northbound only)
- Florida: I-110 in Pensacola, Florida becomes a controlled-access freeway between the Airport Blvd and the Bayou Blvd exits.
- Illinois: The Dan Ryan Expressway and Kennedy Expressway (Interstates 90 and 94 in Chicago), between 79th Street and Interstate 55.
- Illinois: Palatine Road between U.S. Route 12 and Sanders Road through the north suburbs of Chicago has grade-level express lanes, local lanes, and interchanges with the exception of the overpasses at Elmhurst Road and Milwaukee Avenue and an underpass at Wolf Road. It is not a freeway; instead it is called a "junior expressway". Grade-level intersections require vehicles to execute left hook turns from the outer local lanes.
- Maryland: Interstate 270 in Montgomery County, Maryland (between Montrose Road and Interstate 370)
- Michigan: The Jeffries Freeway (I-96) in Detroit.
- Nebraska: Dodge Street (U.S. Route 6) in Omaha, Nebraska becomes a controlled-access freeway (The West Dodge Freeway) at westbound 93rd Street with elevated local-express lanes that allow drivers to bypass the 114th and 120th Street intersections. The express lanes are known locally as the West Dodge Expressway.
- Nevada: Interstate 15 in Las Vegas, Nevada between Russell Road and Sahara Avenue (opened to traffic October 2009).
- New Jersey: The Garden State Parkway in New Jersey from the Raritan tolls to the Asbury Park tolls.
- New Jersey: Interstate 76 in Southern New Jersey (westbound only) from Interstate 295 to U.S. Highway 130 approaching the Walt Whitman Bridge
- New Jersey: Interstate 78 in Northern New Jersey (between the New Jersey Turnpike and Route 24)
- New Jersey: Interstate 80 in Northern New Jersey (George Washington Bridge-Garden State Parkway and Interstate 280-Interstate 287)
- New Jersey: U.S. Route 1/9 in Northern New Jersey from Route 81 to US 1/9 Truck)
- New Jersey: Route 3 in Northern New Jersey (between the New Jersey Turnpike western spur and New Jersey Route 495)
- New Jersey: Interstate 95 from New Jersey Route 32 to The Bronx (Varies from Inner Car Lanes & Outer Truck Lanes to traditional express-local lane setup and upper-level/lower-level on the George Washington Bridge).
- New Jersey: Interstate 287 in Central/North Jersey from Interstate 78 to U.S. Route 202/206
- Ohio: Interstate 271 in Greater Cleveland between Interstate 480 in North Randall and Interstate 90 in Willoughby Hills
- Pennsylvania: Roosevelt Boulevard (US 1) in Northeast Philadelphia is similarly a surface road with express and local roadways.
- Texas: Interstate 35, on the northwest corner of Central San Antonio, from near the Exit 158 interchange with Interstate 37 to the Exit 156 interchange with Interstate 10.
- Texas: Interstate 35/Interstate 10 on the southwest corner of Central San Antonio, from near the Exit 155 interchange with TX Spur 536 to the Exit 154A interchange with TX Loop 353.
- Washington: Interstate 5 through downtown Seattle, from downtown to Northgate Way.
- Washington D.C./Virginia/Maryland: Interstate 495 (Capital Beltway) in the Washington, D.C. metro area, between Telegraph Road in Alexandria, Virginia and State Route 210 in Oxon Hill, Maryland, as the freeway crosses the Potomac River via the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.
- Gardiner Expressway (formerly QEW) from Wickman Road (west of Kipling Avenue) to Royal York Road, in Toronto
- Highway 400 in York Region, from the Highway 7 interchange to south of Langstaff Road (signed as exit 29 to Highway 7 rather than collector-express)
- Highway 401 in Peel Region, Toronto and Durham Region
- Highway 427 from Queen Elizabeth Way/Gardiner Expressway to Highway 401 in Toronto
- Nova Scotia Highway 118, in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
- Third Ring Road, Moscow, Russia
- A6 motorway (France), south of Paris
- A2 / N2, sections around Eindhoven, 's-Hertogenbosch, and Utrecht (all Netherlands)
- A12, Utrecht, Netherlands
- A16, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- M60 motorway, Manchester, England
- M20 motorway, Maidstone, England
- M8 motorway, Glasgow, Scotland
- A38 road, Plymouth, England
- M30 motorway, Madrid, Spain
- Marginal Tiete, São Paulo, Brazil
- Marginal Pinheiros, São Paulo, Brazil
- Via Rápida Poniente y Oriente, Tijuana, Mexico
- Between Yenikapı - Bakırköy, Istanbul, Turkey
- M1 West Gate Freeway, between the M2 and Burnley Tunnel in Melbourne, Australia.
- Gloucester Road (west-bound from Canal Road West to Fenwick Street), Wan Chai, Hong Kong
- Prince Edward Road West (elevated and lower roadway from Pentland Street to Choi Hung Road), Kowloon, Hong Kong
- N1 outbound between Koeberg Road and the N7, in Cape Town, South Africa
- Warringah Freeway Carrying Metroad 1 through North Sydney widens to allow express lanes for the Cahill Expresway and provides access to the harbour Tunnel
- ^ Carlson, Rich. As documented in Wikipedia:WikiProject Illinois State Routes/External correspondence#What is a Junior expressway?
- ^ Tele Atlas. "Driving directions to Unknown road". Google Maps. Mountain View, U.S.A.: Google. http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=King's+Hwy+400&daddr=43.807977,-79.543078&geocode=FYsZnAIdFVtC-w%3B&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=19&sll=43.808049,-79.543118&sspn=0.001835,0.003262&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=43.797398,-79.541316&spn=0.029365,0.052185&z=15. Retrieved 2009-04-30.
- ^ Tele Atlas. "Driving directions to King's Hwy 401/MacDonald-Cartier Fwy". Google Maps. Mountain View, U.S.A.: Google. http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=43.63731,-79.665046&daddr=King's+Hwy+401%2FMacDonald-Cartier+Fwy&hl=en&geocode=%3BFZxOmgIdJHxB-w&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=18&sll=43.637966,-79.662455&sspn=0.00368,0.006523&ie=UTF8&ll=43.65595,-79.617233&spn=0.470954,0.834961&t=h&z=11. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- ^ Tele Atlas. "Driving directions to King's Hwy 401/MacDonald-Cartier Fwy/Hwy of Heroes". Google Maps. Mountain View, U.S.A.: Google. http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=King's+Hwy+401%2FMacDonald-Cartier+Fwy&daddr=43.838071,-79.072021&hl=en&geocode=FTXUmgId7v9B-w%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=18&sll=43.837553,-79.072407&sspn=0.003668,0.006523&ie=UTF8&ll=43.733399,-79.315796&spn=0.470346,0.834961&t=h&z=11. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
Roads and junctions Types of roadBy countryMain roadsLocal roadsOther terms Surfaces Road junctions
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
91 Express Lanes — Infobox road state=CA type=SR route=91 highway name=91 Express Lanes maint= The 91 Express Lanes is a ten mile (16 km) high occupancy toll road / full tollway combination contained entirely within the median of the Riverside Freeway (State Route… … Wikipedia
Express lane — Express lanes are, according to the Federal Highway Administration, a lane or set of lanes physically separated or barriered from the general purpose capacity provided within major roadway corridors. Express lane access is managed by limiting the … Wikipedia
express lane — noun a) In a multi lane controlled access highway or expressway system, a lane close to the median and physically separated from the outer lanes, which has fewer entrances and exits than the outer lanes and which is intended for vehicles… … Wiktionary
Metro Express — is a form of express bus service in Los Angeles County, California, operated by the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Buses are usually express for a portion of the route, then run either local or limited stop in other… … Wikipedia
PCI Express — Not to be confused with PCI X. PCI Express Year created 2004 Created by Intel · Dell · IBM · … Wikipedia
Metro Area Express — Overview Type Bus rapid transit System Kansas City Area Transportation Authority Status Operating Locale Kansas City Metro Area … Wikipedia
Interstate 78 in New Jersey — This article is about the section of Interstate 78 in New Jersey. For the entire length of the highway, see Interstate 78. Interstate 78 Phillipsburg–Newark Expressway New Jersey Turnpike – Newark Bay Extension … Wikipedia
Ontario Highway 401 — Highway 401 redirects here. For other uses, see List of highways numbered 401 … Wikipedia
North–South Expressway Northern Route — See also: North South Expressway, Malaysia and North South Expressway Southern Route E1 Expressway North–South Expressway Northern Route Route information … Wikipedia
A2 motorway (Netherlands) — Location of the A2 motorway in the Netherlands. The A2 motorway is a motorway in the Netherlands. It is one of the busiest highways in the Netherlands. The road connects the city of Amsterdam, near the interchange Amstel, with the Belgian border … Wikipedia