- Institute of Mathematics and Informatics (Bulgarian Academy of Sciences)
The Institute of Mathematics and Informatics was established in 1947 as Institute of Mathematics at the
Bulgarian Academy of Sciences. Its name changed to Institute of Mathematics with Computing Centre in 1961, while from 1970 to 1988 the Institute together with the Faculty of Mathematics at Sofia Universityfunctioned in a unified structure, the Joint Centre of Mathematicsand Mechanics. The present name was adopted in 1995.
The Institute carries out scientific research in the fields of
mathematicsand informatics, as well as their applications to education, science, businessand industry, government, etc.
Members of the Institute hold teaching positions at a number of
Bulgarian universities and colleges, providing also direction to Ph.D.and M.S.students. The Institute plays an important role in training gifted pupils, graduates, etc. for participating in major international competitions in mathematicsand informatics. In particular, the Bulgarian team in mathematicshas been ranking among the top five at International Mathematical Olympiadevents in the recent years.
Education in Mathematics and Informatics
Geometry and Topology
Laboratory of Mathematical Linguistic
Mathematical Foundations of Informatics
Probability and Statistics
Real and Functional Analysis
Lyubomir Chakalov, 1947-50
Nikola Obreshkov, 1951-63
Lyubomir Iliev, 1964-88
Petar Kenderov, 1989-93
Nikolay Yanev, 1994-99
Stefan Dodunekov, 1999 –
* [http://www.math.bas.bg/~serdica/ Serdica Mathematical Journal]
* [http://www.math.bas.bg/serdicajcomputing/ Serdica Journal of Computing]
* [http://www.math.bas.bg/imi/mplus/ Mathematica Plus]
* [http://www.math.bas.bg/~fcaa/ Fractional Calculus and Applied Analysis]
* [http://www.math.bas.bg/~pliska/ Pliska Studia Mathematica Bulgarica]
* Mathematica Balkanica (founded: New Series, 1987, published quarterly)
* Physico-Mathematical Journal (founded: 1904, published quarterly)
* The first computing centre in
Bulgariawas created at the Institute in 1961.
* The first
Bulgarian electronic digital computer"Vitosha", and the first Bulgarian electronic calculator"Elka" were constructed at the Institute in 1962-64.
* Yanev, Nikolay. (1998). Fifty years of Institute of Mathematics and Informatics at BAS. Journal of BAS, No 3-4, 96-100. (in Bulgarian)
* Andreev A., I. Derzhanski eds. "Bulgarian Academy of Sciences: Institute of Mathematics and Informatics, founded 1947." Sofia: Multiprint Ltd., 2007. 64 pp. (Bilingual publication in Bulgarian and English) ISBN 978-954-8986-27-4
* [http://www.math.bas.bg/ Institute of Mathematics and Informatics]
* [http://www.bas.bg/index-en.html Bulgarian Academy of Sciences]
* [http://www.geology.bas.bg/acadnet.html Bulgarian Academic Network]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bulgarian Academy of Sciences — The Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (abbreviated BAS, in Bulgarian: Българска академия на науките, Balgarska akademiya na naukite , abbreviated БАН ) is the National Academy of Bulgaria, established in 1869. The Academy is autonomous and has a… … Wikipedia
Department of Mathematical Logic (Bulgarian Academy of Sciences) — The Department of Mathematical Logic at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences was created by the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics in implementation of Government Decree N0. 236 of November 3, 1959. Its first chairman was Boyan Petkanchin… … Wikipedia
Streamlined System for the Romanization of Bulgarian — The Streamlined System is the official Bulgarian system for the Romanization of the Bulgarian language. It was developed at the Department of Mathematical Logic at the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences… … Wikipedia
College and university rankings — are lists of institutions in higher education, ordered by combinations of factors. In addition to entire institutions, specific programs, departments, and schools are ranked. Rankings are conducted by magazines, newspapers, governments and… … Wikipedia
Lyubomir Ivanov — with a dissertation entitled Iterative Operative Spaces .Academic and NGO workApppointed head of the Department of Mathematical Logic at the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences in 1990, Dr Ivanov has since… … Wikipedia
IMI — is a three letter acronym. It can stand for * Industrial Vibration Monitoring Instrumentation, division of PCB Piezotronics *Innovative Medicines Initiative of the European Union *Integrated Marketing, Inc. *Integrated Microelectronics, Inc.… … Wikipedia
Tangra 2004/05 — The Tangra 2004/05 Expedition was commissioned by the Antarctic Place names Commission at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Bulgaria, managed by the Manfred Wörner Foundation, and supported by the Bulgarian Antarctic Institute, the Institute of… … Wikipedia
Système bulgare officiel de translittération des caractères cyrilliques — Incohérences de translittération dans la signalétique à Sofia : alors que le nom du quartier de Lozenec est translittéré selon la norme internationale scientifique (c = ts), le nom du journaliste irlandais James David Bourchier a été, de… … Wikipédia en Français
Church of St Nicholas, Melnik — Overview of the Church of St Nicholas ruins … Wikipedia
Обтекаемая система романизации болгарского языка — Обтекаемая система (англ. streamlined system … Википедия