- Mark Feehily
Mark Feehily at The Nobel Peace Prize Concert 2009 (Photo: Harry Wad)
Background information Birth name Markus Michael Patrick Feehily Born 28 May 1980
Genres Pop Occupations Singer, songwriter Instruments Vocals, piano, tin-whistle Years active 1998–present Associated acts Westlife Website www.westlife.com
Feehily was born in Sligo, Ireland, to Marie Verdon and Oliver Feehily. He has two younger brothers, Barry (born 1985) and Colin (born 1989).
Feehily rose to fame as one of the two lead singers of the boyband Westlife. He shares lead vocals with Shane Filan. Before Westlife, Feehily, Filan and Kian Egan came from the band IOYOU, which released the single "Together Girl Forever". Louis Walsh, the manager of the 1990s boy-band Boyzone, was contacted by Filan's mother and came to know about the group. The group was established on 3 July 1998 with the addition of two more members, Nicky Byrne and Brian McFadden. Boyzone singer Ronan Keating was brought in to co-manage the group with Walsh. Feehily has also co-written songs, some with the other band members.
Feehily has sung completely solo on songs for the band in some instances: a song the band wrote called "Imaginary Diva" of World of Our Own album and externally written "Talk Me Down" of Where We Are album and also "Before It's Too Late" of Gravity. At live performances, he also sang completely solo for the song "Silent Night". Feehily has also co-written songs, some with the other band members.
Feehily is banned for life from the Mondrian Hotel in Los Angeles following an incident during which he got drunk and threw some items from a window of the hotel.
Feehily has spoken to The Boston Globe of his embarrassment about Westlife's Rat Pack-tribute album, Allow Us to Be Frank, and blamed their label for forcing them to record it after Robbie Williams had success with this type of music, dismissing the instance a "a weird time" in Westlife's career.
Feehily intends to have a solo career after Westlife and wishes to write a book and a musical.
In August 2005, Feehily publicly revealed he was gay during an interview with the British tabloid The Sun. Feehily had recognized his sexual orientation when he was 14- or 15-years old. His family, band mates and close friends knew his sexual orientation. Westlife's manager Louis Walsh, however, was unaware of Feehily's sexual orientation when he began managing the group. As the only gay member in Westlife, Feehily kept his sexual orientation private and never had a boyfriend. Unlike his band mates, Feehily did not discuss his private life in interviews, although he had dated women prior to his coming out. In yet another interview, Feehily told The Sydney Morning Herald that despite the fact that the majority of Westlife's fans are female, there had really been no negative reaction.
During the interview with The Sun, Feehily also announced his romantic relationship with British fashion photographer Kevin McDaid. The pair, who live together, had been dating since January 2005 after having met at a Cheerios Childline Concert in Ireland. Feehily said that while he did not intend on getting married right away, he was happy to know he could form a civil partnership in Britain with the recent passing of the Civil Partnership Act. In December 2007, Feehily and McDaid appeared on the cover of Attitude. After five years into their relationship, both were in engaged in February 2010, which was confirmed by Feehily himself via the social networking website Twitter. In 2011, Feehily discussed the couple's plans concerning having children together and discussed their marriage plans.
Feehily supports the charity group Aware. He was shortlisted in 2011 as one of the top 50 most influential gays in United Kingdom. He congratulated his local football club Sligo Rovers on their victory in the 2011 FAI Cup Final.
- ^ a b c d Hinton, Laura (2009-11-28). "Mark Feehily Opens Up On Westlife". Female First. First Active Media Ltd. http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/entertainment/Westlife-74034.html. Retrieved 2011-08-30.
- ^ a b Newton, Victoria (2007-11-09). "Mark: I'm so glad I came out" (Email Adds). The Sun (London: News Group Newspapers). http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/celeb_interviews/article443424.ece. Retrieved 2010-05-08.
- ^ "Mark Feehily embarrassed by LP". The Boston Globe (NY Times Co.). 2009-11-28. http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/articles/2009/11/28/mark_feehily_embarrassed_by_lp/. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- ^ "Westlife's Mark Feehily to launch solo career". RTÉ Ten. 6 November 2011.
- ^ a b "Westlife singer reveals 'I'm gay'". BBC. 2005-08-19. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4166046.stm. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- ^ a b "Music News Westlife star wants to be a father". RTÉ. 2011-03-26. http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0326/westlife.html. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- ^ "Louis 'mightn't have picked' gay Gately". Irish Independent. 2008-11-23. http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/news-gossip/louis-mightnt-have-picked-gay-gately-1550151.html. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
- ^ "Mark Feehily's Jolie desires". Female First. First Active Media Ltd. http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebrity/Mark+Feehily-7923.html. Retrieved 2011-08-30.
- ^ a b "Feehily happy to be a gay role". The Sydney Morning Herald: pp. 2006-03-02. 2006-03-02. http://www.smh.com.au/news/music/feehily-happy-to-be-a-gay-role/2006/03/02/1141191772581.html. Retrieved 2011-08-30.
- ^ "Mark Feehily: 'I want to have children'". New!. Northern and Shell Media Publications. 2010-03-11. http://www.new-magazine.co.uk/celebinterview/view/20146/Mark-Feehily-I-want-to-have-children-/. Retrieved 2011-08-30.
- ^ Marrs, John (2011-08-12). "The DS 50 – The Most Influential Gays 2011". Different Scene. http://www.differentscene.co.uk/?p=2839. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- ^ Feehily, Markus (2011-11-06). "Congratulations Sligo Rovers". https://twitter.com/#!/MarkusFeehily/status/133247270228475904. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
Westlife AlbumsStudio albumsCompilationsExtended PlaysBox Sets VideosMusic videosConcerts DVDDocumentary Concert tours ProductsWestlife: Our Story · X · With Love Related Articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mark Feehily — Datos generales Nombre real Markus Michael Patrick Feehily Nacimiento … Wikipedia Español
Mark Feehily — Markus Michael Patrick Feehily (né le 28 mai 1980 à Sligo, Irlande), mieux connu sous le nom de Mark Feehily, est membre du Boys Band Irlandais Westlife … Wikipédia en Français
Mark Feehily — Westlife Von links nach rechts: Shane Filan, Nicky Byrne, Mark Feehily und Kian Egan (2007) Gründung 3. Juli 1998 Genre Pop … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mark (given name) — Mark Statue of Marte (Mars). The name Mark means consecrated to the god Mars. … Wikipedia
Feehily — Westlife Von links nach rechts: Shane Filan, Nicky Byrne, Mark Feehily und Kian Egan (2007) Gründung 3. Juli 1998 Genre Pop … Deutsch Wikipedia
Marcus Michael Patrick Feehily — Westlife Von links nach rechts: Shane Filan, Nicky Byrne, Mark Feehily und Kian Egan (2007) Gründung 3. Juli 1998 Genre Pop … Deutsch Wikipedia
Gravity (álbum de Westlife) — Gravity Álbum de estudio de Westlife Publicación 22 de noviembre de 2010 Grabación Julio Octubre 2010 Género(s) Pop Rock, Pop, Pop Dance, Soft Rock … Wikipedia Español
Westlife — Datos generales Origen Dublín/Sligo, Irlanda … Wikipedia Español
Filan — Westlife Von links nach rechts: Shane Filan, Nicky Byrne, Mark Feehily und Kian Egan (2007) Gründung 3. Juli 1998 Genre Pop … Deutsch Wikipedia
Kian Egan — Westlife Von links nach rechts: Shane Filan, Nicky Byrne, Mark Feehily und Kian Egan (2007) Gründung 3. Juli 1998 Genre Pop … Deutsch Wikipedia