- List of European islands by area
This is a list of
islands in Europe ordered by area. As a main rule, freshwater islands are not listed.
Islands over 200 km²
Islands 20 km²–50 km²
This section of the list is not complete.
Azores Islands, Madeiraand the Canary Islandsare not considered part of Europe, whereas Cyprusis. Cyprus is often considered to be a part of both Asiaand Europe.
* Islands of Arctic
Russiaare considered part of Europe as long as they are situated west of the Yamal Peninsula. This means that the islands of Franz Josef Land, Novaya Zemlyaplus for example Kolguyevand Vaygachare considered part of Europe. Islands of Svalbardare in the same category, whereas for example islands of Greenlandare considered part of North America.
* The figures of
Bolshoy Berezovy, Storøyaand Wahlbergøyaare rough estimates from map.
Figures about land area are differing and uncertain. These are the major references:
List of islands by area
* http://islands.unep.ch/Figures about Swedish islands are from these sites:
* http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_över_Sveriges_öar#.C3.96ar_efter_storlek_.28.5B.5Byta.5D.5D.29 (also includes freshwater islands)
* http://184.108.40.206/search?q=cache:d3utKNf-YR8J:www.scb.se/Grupp/Omscb/SÅ2007/Geographical%2520data.xls+ängesön+sq.km&hl=no&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=no (also includes freshwater islands)Figures about Norwegian islands are from these sites:
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_of_Norway_by_areaFigures about Finnish islands are mainly from this site:
* http://personal.inet.fi/koti/kauko.huotari/saaret.htm (also includes freshwater islands)This is another interesting site about Finnish islands:
* http://220.127.116.11/search?q=cache:es-pAUfoVCoJ:www.intermin.fi/intermin/images.nsf/files/aaa29f826e98e26ac22572480031ab08/%24file/esite_2007_eng.pdf+islands+finland+ten+largest&hl=no&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=noFigures about Danish islands are mainly from this site:
* http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_dänischer_InselnFigures about German islands are mainly from this site:
* http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_InselnFigures about Croatian islands are mainly from this site:
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_inhabited_islands_of_CroatiaFigures about French islands are partly from this site:
* http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_des_îles_françaisesFigures about Italian islands are mainly from this site:
* http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llista_d%27illes_d%27ItàliaFigures about Spanish islands are mainly from this site:
* http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:Lista_de_islas_de_EspañaFigures about some Russian islands can be found on this site:
* http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyspy_Rosji (Note: The site is in Polish, therefore the name spelling is different)Figures about some Estonian islands can be found on this site (also in Polish, but the name spelling is not different):
* http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyspy_EstoniiFigures about some Greek islands can be found on this site (in Russian):
* http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Список_островов_ГрецииFigures about English islands are from this site:
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_of_EnglandFigures about Scottish islands are mainly from this site:
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_of_ScotlandFigures about Welsh islands are from this site:
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_of_WalesFigures about islands of the republic of Ireland are from this site (on page 11):
* http://18.104.22.168/search?q=cache:MKj9xRf03oUJ:www.ub.ntnu.no/formidl/utgivelser/til_opplysning/to_nr16.pdf+tearaght+island+sq.km&hl=no&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=noFigures about many British isles can be found here:
List of European islands by population
List of islands by area
List of islands by population
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of European islands by population — This is a list of islands in Europe ordered by population. The list is not complete. Islands with a population over 10,000Notes* Population figures of Alderney, Sark and Herm are deducted from the population of Bailiwick of Guernsey. These three… … Wikipedia
List of islands by area — This is a list of islands in the world ordered by area. It includes all islands with an area greater than 2,500 km² (970 square miles). For comparison, continental landmasses are also shown.Continental land masses These figures are rough… … Wikipedia
List of Orkney islands — This is a list of Orkney islands in Scotland. The Orkney archipelago is located 16 kilometres (10 miles) north of mainland Scotland and comprises over 70 islands and skerries, of which 20 are inhabited. In addition to the Orkney Mainland there… … Wikipedia
European Higher Education Area — The European Higher Education Area (EHEA) was launched along with the Bologna Process decade anniversary, in March 2010, during the Budapest Vienna Ministerial Conference. As the main objective of the Bologna Process since its inception in 1999,… … Wikipedia
List of divided islands — This is a list of islands whose land is divided by one or more international borders. Contents 1 Sea islands 2 Lake islands 3 River islands 4 Historically divided islands … Wikipedia
List of European birds — In this article, Europe refers to the geographical continent, not the somewhat larger Western Palearctic, which includes parts of the Middle East and north Africa.There are about 700 species of bird in the area, and in general the avifauna is… … Wikipedia
List of European countries — This is a list of countries in Europe with their English and domestic language long and short names and associated capital cities.The divisions between Asia and Europe occur at the Ural Mountains, Ural River and Caspian Sea in the east, the… … Wikipedia
List of islands of Norway by area — Islands on the mainland of Norway= For an exhaustive list ordered by name, see list of islands of Norway.Outside the mainland of Norway Islands belonging to a dependent territory of Norway. Note: The areas of Storøya and Wahlbergøya are roughly… … Wikipedia
List of islands by population — Land masses= #Afro Eurasia mdash; 5,500 million people #Americas mdash; 900 million people #Australia [It is generally accepted that Australia is not an island; if it were considered as such it would rank seventh.] mdash; 21 million people… … Wikipedia
List of islands of Europe — This is a list of the major islands and archipelagos of Europe: In the Atlantic Ocean and Baltic Sea: *British Isles (note that there are many minor islands not listed below, especially in Scotland and Ireland): **Great Britain **Ireland **The… … Wikipedia