- High king
Rulers who have been termed "high king" (by their contemporaries or by modern observers) include:
- Various ancient Celtic rulers, notably the High King (Ard Rí) of Ireland. Some other monarchs, such as King Arthur, Uther Pendragon, and Vortigern, have been termed "High King of Britain" in some accounts.
- The ruler of the Picts.
- The Ard Rí Alban, high king of Scotland.
- Some ancient Greek rulers, such as Agamemnon (see anax).
- The most powerful king of the various Etruscan city-states.
- Mepe-Umaglesi "Most High King" was a predicate of the Georgian Orthodox Mepe-Mepeta ("King of Kings")
- In Lithuania, the title of "Didysis Kunigaikštis" is more accurately translated as "high king", although it is traditionally rendered as "Grand Duke"
- In ancient Sumer, the rulers of all Sumer held the title of "Nam-Lugal" (High King).
The Bretwalda was essentially the high king of the Anglo-Saxons, though the name is rarely translated as such. The Yang di-Pertuan Agong in Malaysia could probably be seen as a "high king", as he is selected from among nine Malay rulers (seven Sultans, a Raja, and a Great Lord) by election (through informal agreement, on a rotational basis). In practice, however, the term "high king" is rarely applied to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, rather "King".
The titles "maharaja" or similar (Indian), and "daewang" (Korean) could possibly be rendered as "high king", although the literal meaning is closer to "great king". The title "King of Kings" also expresses much the same concept as "high king" – it was used at various times by the Emperor of Persia (shahanshah) and the Emperor of Ethiopia.
- High-King (ハイ・キング Hai-Kingu ) is also the name of a J-pop group created in 2008 featuring Ai Takahashi, Reina Tanaka, Saki Shimizu, Maimi Yajima and Yuuka Maeda.
- In C. S. Lewis's fictional Chronicles of Narnia, Peter was the High King of Narnia over Edmund, by virtue of being the eldest. He was also the High King over all Kings of Narnia, from the first to the last. Aslan, the deity and the Great Lion of Narnia, is described as being "the High King above all High Kings", meaning He is the highest King over all rulers of Narnia.
- In J. R. R. Tolkien's works, mainly The Silmarillion, there was a succession of High Kings of the Noldor exiled in Middle-earth, beginning with Fëanor and culminating in Gil-galad's reign. Ingwë, leader of the Vanyar, is also referred as the High King of the Eldar, while Manwë is also sometimes titled High King of Arda. Thingol is acknowledged as high-king of Beleriand by Fingolfin. In the Third Age, the rulers of Arnor were known as "High King", including Aragorn, as King Elessar.
- In Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain, there is a line of High Kings of Prydain (a fictionalized version of Wales) who are descendants of a royal family who came from the Summer Country in order to oppose Arawn. The High King throughout the series is Gwydion's father Math, who is then succeeded by Gwydion and later Taran in the final novel of the series, The High King.
- In Bethesda Softworks The Elder Scrolls The high king is the highest authority in the Province of Skyrim.
- ^ Dawson, Doyne. The First Armies. London: Cassell & Co. 2001, p. 80.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
High King — King of all the Dúnedain. A title used by the Dúnedain for their ultimate ruler. Normally, High King would refer to a king who ruled over other lesser kings and lords, but this is not necessarily the case with the High King of the Dúnedain … J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth glossary
High-King — ハイ キング Pays d’origine Japon Genre musical Jpop Années d activité 2008 – présent Labels Zetima Site officiel Hello! Project.com … Wikipédia en Français
High-King — (jap. ハイ・キング, Hai Kingu) ist eine Hello! Project Unit. Sie wurde eigentlich nur ins Leben gerufen, um das Musical Cinderella the musical (Erstaufführung: August 2008, Japan) zu promoten. Die beiden Morning Musume Mitglieder Ai Takahashi und Reina … Deutsch Wikipedia
High King — (jap. ハイ・キング, Hai Kingu) ist eine Hello! Project Unit. Sie wurde eigentlich nur ins Leben gerufen, um das Musical Cinderella the musical (Erstaufführung: August 2008, Japan) zu promoten. Die beiden Morning Musume Mitglieder Ai Takahashi und Reina … Deutsch Wikipedia
High-King — Infobox musical artist Name = High King Img size = Landscape = Background = group or band Alias = Origin = Japan Genre = J pop Years active = 2008 ndash;present Label = Zetima Associated acts = Morning Musume, Berryz Kobo, ℃ ute, Hello Pro Egg… … Wikipedia
High-King — ハイ・キング High King Datos generales Origen Japón Información artística … Wikipedia Español
High King of Ireland — A High King of Ireland ( ga. Ard Rí na hÉireann) is a historical or legendary figure who claimed lordship over the whole of Ireland. The High Kingship was never a political reality in Ireland, but has a strong literary and folkore tradition.The… … Wikipedia
High King Math — Math son of Mathonwy is the High King of the fictional realm of Prydain in the Lloyd Alexander novel series The Chronicles of Prydain. He rules above all lesser kings in Prydain. Math is patriarch of the Royal House of Don, comprised of… … Wikipedia
High King of the Noldor — A title of six lords of the Deep Elves. The title of six Elf lords of the Noldor. They held titular rulership over all the Noldor of Middle earth, though in practice circumstances prevented the effective use of this power until the time of… … J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth glossary
High King of Arda — A title given to Manwë Súlimo, greatest of the Valar, and accounted lord of the realm of Arda … J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth glossary