- Frank Moore (performance artist)
bgcolour = pink
name = Frank Moore
caption = Frank Moore in front of the Art Institute of Chicago 1991 photograph by Linda Mac
birthname = Frank James Moore
June 25, 1946
location = Columbus, OH
nationality = American
field = Performance artist
influenced by =
Frank Moore (born Frank James Moore,
June 25, 1946) is an American performance artist, poet, essayist, painter, musicianand Internet/television personality who has experimented in art, performance, and ritual since the late 1960s. He is an independent candidate for President of the United Statesin the 2008 election.
Moore is perhaps most well known as one of the NEA-funded artists targeted by
Jesse Helmsand the GAO (Government Accountability Office) in the early '90s for doing art that was labeled “obscene.” He is well known for long (5-48 hours) ritualistic performances with audience participation, nudity, and eroticism. But he has also become well known for his influential writings on performance, art, life, and cultural subversion; for his historical influence on the San Francisco Bay Area music and performance scene; and more recently for his 24/7/365 webstation, [http://www.luver.com LUVeR] (Love Underground Visionary Revolution).
He was born with
cerebral palsyand is unable to walk or talk, but has written books; has directed plays; has directed, acted in, and edited films; regularly gives poetry readings; plays piano; sings in ensemble music jams; and continues to lead bands in hardcore punk clubs up and down the west coast. He also has a large collection of original oil paintings that have been shown across the United Statesand in Canada. Moore communicates using a laser-pointer and a board of letters, numbers, and commonly used words.
Annie Sprinkleconsiders Moore one of her teachers, [cite news
title = Sprinkle, A. "Post-porn modernist: my 25 years as a multimedia whore". Cleis Press, 1998. ISBN 1-57344-039-6] and Moore has performed with a host of performance and punk figures of the underground since the 1970s, including Barbara Smith, Linda Sibio,
The Feederz, and Dirk Dirksen.
Frank Moore first came to be known in the 1970s as the creator of the popular
cabaretshow, the Outrageous Beauty Revue ( [http://www.eroplay.com/intimatetheater/intimate.html "The Intimate Theater".)] . In 1992 he was voted Best Performance Artist by the San Francisco Bay Guardian. In the early '90s he was targeted by Senator Jesse Helms. From 1991-1999 Frank Moore published and edited the acclaimed underground zine, [http://www.eroplay.com/contents.html The Cherotic r(E)volutionary.]
In addition to his book, [http://www.eroplay.com/Cave/Writings/expandingsex.htm Cherotic Magic] and numerous other self-published pieces, Frank Moore has been widely published in various art and other periodicals.
Since 2001 Frank Moore has been producing shows for Berkeley's Public Access Channel, [http://www.betv.org Berkeley Community Media] , Channel 28.
Frank Moore's "Web of All Possibilities" at [http://www.eroplay.com eroplay.com] features his and other artists' audio, video, and visual artwork. He founded [http://www.luver.com Love Underground Visionary Revolution] (LUVeR) in 1999.
In 2006, Moore announced his candidacy for the 2008 election for President of the United States. His running mate is Dr.
* [http://www.nyfa.org/current_archive/2001/cur091101.html Arts Wire CURRENT Volume#10 No. #34]
* [http://www.eastbayexpress.com/2003-01-29/news/touching-our-private-parts/ Touching Our Private Parts] "East Bay Express" 1/29/2003
* [http://arabianmonkey.com/interviewwithfrankmoore.html Interview with a Presidential Candidate: Frank Moore] arabianmonkey.com 7/4/2007
* [http://www.eroplay.com/Cave/shaman.html#articles Articles about & interviews with Frank Moore]
* [http://frankmooreforpresident08.com Frank Moore for President, offical campaign site]
* [http://www.youtube.com/frankmooreforprez08 Frank Moore for prez08 platform videos]
* [http://www.eroplay.com/Cave/resume.html Frank Moore's resume]
* [http://www.eroplay.com/Cave/ArtShaman/artsham.html "Art Of A Shaman"]
* [http://www.eroplay.com/Cave/shaman.html#WritingAnchor Writings of Frank Moore]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.