- Effect of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake on India
:"For related articles, see ."
India, 10,136 people, according to official estimates, were killed and hundreds of thousands were rendered homeless when a tsunamitriggered by the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquakenear the Indonesian island of Sumatrahit the southern peninsular coast on 26 December 2004. The earthquake registered 9.0 in moment magnitude and was the biggest in five decades. This was followed by strong aftershocks, including a 7.1 magnitude quake [http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Quakes/ussmax.htm] in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
The government has been asked to remain vigilant in light of these after shocks without affecting the relief and rescue operations and normal life.
Government ex gratia
The following bodies and agencies are seeking public help and contributions:
* Indian Prime Minister's National Relief Fund:The
Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singhhas issued [http://in.rediff.com/news/2004/dec/27quake2.htm an appeal for contributions] . You can find more information about the relief fund http://pmindia.nic.in/relieffund.htm. You can find the form for contribution at http://pmindia.nic.in/formpmnrf.htm
International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies[http://donate.ifrc.org/ donation page]
International Committee of the Red Cross[http://www.icrc.org/web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/iwpList2/Help_the_ICRC?OpenDocument donation page]
* [http://pay.hindu.com/thrfpay/thrfpay.jsp The Hindu Relief Fund - India's National newspaper]
* [http://www.tn.gov.in/misc/cmprf2003.htm Tamil Nadu Chief Minister's Public Relief Fund]
* [http://www.ndtv.com/template/template.asp?template=tsunami&slug=PM+urges+donations+for+relief+fund&id=65860&callid=1&category=National NDTV's trust fund]
* [http://tsunamihelp.blogspot.com A listing of News and information about resources, aid, donations and volunteer efforts] by a volunteer team of bloggers. Fresh information can be posted [http://tsunamihelp.blogspot.com/2004/12/your-suggestions-and-links.html here] .
* [http://indiatsunamirelief.blogspot.com A blog of India-related relief efforts]
* [http://www.vide-us.org Volunteers for India Development and Empowerment] requests on-line donations to provide for immediate relief to disaster victims
* [http://www.vichaar.org/article134.html A list of relief efforts in India for tidal wave relief]
* [http://www.cse.iitk.ac.in/~bhaskar/tsunami-relief/ Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur is also reaching out to stand by its fellow citizens. ]
* [http://www.tsunami2004-india.org/ Site run by the South Indian Federation of Fishermen Societies (SIFFS) ]
India's assistance to other quake-affected countries
The Indian Ministry of External Affairs, along with the Indian defence forces and Home Ministry, is coordinating relief operations to
Sri Lanka, Maldivesand Indonesia.
Operation Castor (assistance to Maldives)
Three vessels have been launched for Male.
* INS "Mysore" (two helicopters, reaching Male on 20 Dec 2004)
* INS "Udaygiri" (one helicopter, reaching Male on Dec 29, 2004)
* INS "Aditya" (one helicopter carrying water and a water purification plant, medical teams, reaching Male on 30 Dec 2004)
Operation Rainbow (assistance to Sri Lanka)
* INS "Sharda"
* INS "Sutlej"
Operation Ghambir (assistance to Indonesia)
* INS "Nirupak" - The hospital ship leaves for Sumatra, Indonesia on 30 Dec 2004. It will be carrying emergency rations, medicines, tents and first aid kits. It will have 10 officers and 240 sailors on board.
2004 Indian Ocean earthquake
Tsunami related pages & official sites of affected regions
* Andaman & Nicobar: [http://www.and.nic.in/earthquake.htm Tsunami coverage] | [http://www.and.nic.in/ Govt. Website] | [http://www.and.nic.in/ipt/press_releases.htm Press releases]
* Tamil Nadu: [http://www.tn.gov.in/tsunami/default.htm Tsunami coverage] | [http://www.tn.gov.in/ Govt. Website] | [http://www.tn.gov.in/pressrelease/default.htm Press Releases]
* Pondicherry: [http://pondicherry.nic.in/tsunami/tsunamimain.htm Tsunami coverage] | [http://pondicherry.nic.in/ Govt. Website] | [http://www.and.nic.in/ipt/press_releases.htm Press releases]
* Kerala: [http://www.kerala.gov.in/news04/relief.htm Tsunami coverage] | [http://www.kerala.gov.in/ Govt. Website] | [http://www.prd.kerala.gov.in/news/nindex.htm Press releases]
Indian media coverage
* [http://in.rediff.com/news/tsunami.htm Rediff.com]
* [http://www.newindpress.com/coastalcalamity/index.asp The Indian Express]
* [http://www.ptinews.com/pti%5Cptisite.nsf/$All/2CF42C9D942E236265256F76005AE4BC?OpenDocument Press Trust of India]
* [http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/971815.cms Times of India]
* [http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/001hdline.htm The Hindu]
* [http://www.ndtv.com/template/template.asp?template=Tsunami&slug=Tsunami+toll+touches+6%2C000+in+south+India&id=15964&callid=0&category=National NDTV (includes video footage)]
International media coverage
* [http://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&ned=in&ncl=http://in.rediff.com/news/2004/dec/30an2.htm&scoring=d Latest coverage from Google News India]
* [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/world/2004/asia_quake_disaster/default.stm BBC's coverage of the disaster (includes video footage)]
* [http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/emergency/SA_TID.htm Reuter's Alertnet's coverage]
Blogs and websites
* [http://tsunamihelp.blogspot.com Tsunamihelp] - News and information about resources, aid, donations and volunteer efforts by a volunteer team of bloggers.
* [http://www.donateindia.com/ Donateindia.com] - Well organized lists of all essential information related to Indian relief efforts.
* [http://truenorthfoundation.blogspot.com/ TrueNorthFoundation] - Reports of relief work and help required from Nagapattinam.
* [http://www.tsunamivictims.org/ Tsunamivictims.org] - Contact numbers and Contributions towards the relief efforts.
* [http://www.tsunamilocator.com/ Tsunami Locator] - list of resources to support the those searching for missing persons.
* [http://tsunamihelpindia.blogspot.com/ Tsunami Help India] spun off from [http://sumankumar.com/ Sumankumar's yak pad] out of Chennai, India
* [http://andamanicobar.blogspot.com/ Post seismic] Post Seismic deformation of Andaman & Nicobar Islands
Other aid efforts
* [http://southeastasia.united.co.uk United with South East Asia] - List of aid organizations, hotlines and information by countries.
India tsunami impact satellite imagery
* [http://www.nrsa.gov.in/ National Remote Sensing Agency] [http://www.nrsa.gov.in/tsunami/tsunami_files/frame.htm Satellite Imagery]
* [http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/india/car-nicobar-imagery.htm GlobalSecurity.org]
* [http://www.crisp.nus.edu.sg/tsunami/tsunami.html CRISP, Singapore]
* [http://www.nspo.org.tw/e60/news/n931228.html NSPO, Taiwan]
Photographs of the disaster
National Remote Sensing Agencywebsite showing [http://www.nrsa.gov.in/tsunami/tsunami.html before and after images] .
* Rediff [http://specials.rediff.com/news/2004/dec/26pic1.htm Set1] [http://specials.rediff.com/news/2004/dec/27sld1.htm Set2]
* [http://sify.com/news/imagegallery_slideshow.php?gid=13636943&imgidx=1&gname=Tsunami+shocks+Chennai&lid=1&gord=D&view=%20target= Sify.com]
* [http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/971293.cms The Times of India]
* [http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/gallery/0281/0281i001.htm The Hindu]
* [http://www.newindpress.com/coastalcalamity/gallery.asp The Indian Express (6 albums)]
* [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4125643.stm BBC]
* [http://www.and.nic.in/images_of_earthquake.htm Port Blair photos - Govt of India]
* [http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20041228/quake/index.htm Tribune India]
Reports on earthquakes in India
* [http://www.imd.ernet.in/section/seismo/static/seismicity-map.htm India Seismicity Map]
* [http://www.imd.ernet.in/section/seismo/static/signif.htm Significant earthquakes in India]
* [http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2004/s2357.htm National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), U.S. Tsunami Page]
* [http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Maps/region/Asia_eqs.html Most Recent Seismic activity]
Disaster management in India
* [http://www.ndma.gov.in National Disaster Management Authority]
* [http://www.sristi.org/english/dmis/dma.html Disaster Management in India]
* [http://www.ndmindia.nic.in/ National Disaster Management (Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India)]
* [http://www.nidm.net/ National Institute of Disaster Management]
* [http://www.undp.org/bcpr/disred/english/regions/asia/india.htm UNDP's page on Crisis Prevention and Recovery for India]
* [http://gridca.grid.unep.ch/undp/cntry_profile.php?selectedCountry=109 UNDP's Disaster Risk Index for India]
* [http://www.imd.ernet.in/ Indian Meteorological Department - Southern region]
* [http://www.imd.ernet.in/ Indian Meteorological Department]
Other forums & discussions
* [http://www.AsianTsunami.org AsianTsunami.org] A forum dedicated to the support of the on-going disaster relief work.
Note 1: Taken from the latest report at [http://ndmindia.nic.in National Disaster Management Division's site] .
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Effect of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake on Sri Lanka — As of 16:35 GST 3 January 2005, Sri Lankan authorities report 30,196 confirmed deaths [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia pacific/4143459.stm#map BBC World News U.S. presidents in tsunami aid plea] ] after the island was hit by the tsunami… … Wikipedia
Effect of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake on Malaysia — Malaysia was affected by the Indian Ocean earthquake on 26 December 2004. Despite its proximity to the epicentre of the earthquake, Malaysia escaped the kind of damage that struck countries thousands of miles further away. Since the epicentre was … Wikipedia
Countries affected by the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake — A village near the coast of Sumatra lies in ruins This article lists the countries affected by the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and the resulting tsunami in alphabetical orde … Wikipedia
Library damage resulting from the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake — has been reported in six Asian countries. On December 26, the massive 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake struck off of the northwest coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra. The resulting tsunamis killed more than 180,000 people. In addition to the… … Wikipedia
2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami — 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake Tsunami strikes Ao Nang, Thailand. Date 00:58:53, December 26 … Wikipedia
2004 Indian Ocean earthquake — Earthquake title = 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake date = December 26, 2004 depth = 30 km (19 mi) location = coord|3.316|N|95.854|E|type:landmark scale:50000000|display=inline,title Tsunami strikes Ao Nang, Thailand. type = undersea (subduction)… … Wikipedia
earthquake — /errth kwayk /, n. 1. a series of vibrations induced in the earth s crust by the abrupt rupture and rebound of rocks in which elastic strain has been slowly accumulating. 2. something that is severely disruptive; upheaval. [1300 50; ME erthequake … Universalium
2004 — MMIV redirects here. For the Modest Mouse album with these characters on its cover, see Baron von Bullshit Rides Again. This article is about the year 2004. 2004 : January · February · March · April · May ·… … Wikipedia
India — /in dee euh/, n. 1. Hindi, Bharat. a republic in S Asia: a union comprising 25 states and 7 union territories; formerly a British colony; gained independence Aug. 15, 1947; became a republic within the Commonwealth of Nations Jan. 26, 1950.… … Universalium
Earthquake prediction — An earthquake prediction is a prediction that an earthquake in a specific magnitude range will occur in a specific region and time window. Predictions are considered as such to the extent that they are reliable for practical, as well as… … Wikipedia