- Grabbed by the Ghoulies
title = Grabbed by the Ghoulies
developer = Rare
Microsoft Game Studios
October 21, 2003
genre = Action
ratings = vgratings|ESRB=E
"Grabbed by the Ghoulies" is a
video gamereleased on October 21 2003by Rare for the Xboxgaming console. It is historic in that it was the first Rare game to be released under the Microsoftbanner (discounting the Game Boy Advancerelease "") after being bought out from Nintendo(it actually originated on the Nintendo GameCube).Fact|date=September 2008 It also has the distinction of being the biggest flop in Rare's history. It is backward compatible with the Xbox 360.
"Ghoulies" follows a
teenagernamed Cooper Chance who sets out to rescue his girlfriend, Amber, from Ghoulhaven Hall. This mansion is full of supernaturalcreatures, and Cooper will receive help along the way from the many hired hands that work there.
The game began life as a name before anything else. The developers came up with the name as a title for a game, and then decided to create a game from that title. Early on, before any details of the game were publicised, it was widely considered that "Grabbed by the Ghoulies" would be the subtitle to the next
Conker the Squirrelgame, after " Conker's Bad Fur Day". This game was initially going to be released on the Nintendo GameCube. After the Microsoft buyout, Rare began the task of porting the game over to the Xbox, along with a couple of minor graphical additions such as adding an Xbox package in the Games Room. Grant Kirkhope, the composer for this game, admits to sneaking in a live guitar solo in the soundtrack. It can be heard in the Ballroom Disco track.
Many "Banjo" cameos appear in this game because "Ghoulies" was developed by the same team. This included the goldfish, an
Xbox keep caseof " Banjo-Tooie", a " Banjo-Kazooie" case, Captain Blackeye's barnacle remover, and a note on a board that reads: "Collect Ice Key. Collect 4 Eggs. Open secret level." The latter is a reference to Stop 'N' Swop. The end of the game is left open for a sequel, but due to the game's extremely poor sales at retail, [ [http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=70000&page=all Eurogamer.net] ] a sequel seems unlikely.
"Ghoulies" was nominated for the awards of 'Console Family Game of the Year' [ [http://www.interactive.org/awards.php?winners&year=2004&cat=200413#200413 Interactive.org Awards] ] and 'Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition' [ [http://www.interactive.org/awards.php?winners&year=2004&cat=200427#200427 Interactive.org Awards] ] by the
Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciencesin 2004.
Viva Piñata", a model of the mansion from the game is used as a house for the piñata species 'Crowla'. [ [http://pinataisland.info/index.php?title=Crowla PinataIsland.info] ]
* Cooper: The hero of the game, Cooper bravely enters Ghoulhaven Hall after his girlfriend Amber is kidnapped by a couple of ghostly gargoyles.
* Amber: Cooper's girlfriend is a headstrong young lady, but that doesn't mean that she won't get kidnapped!
* Crivens: The mild-mannered butler of Ghoulhaven, Crivens offers Cooper his assistance wherever he can, although there may be more to him than it seems...
* Ma Soupswill: An eccentric chef who has left samples of her stews around the mansion.
* Mr. Ribs: The only friendly Ghouly in the mansion, Mr. Ribs is Ma Soupswill's helpful assistant.
* Fiddlesworth Dunfiddlin: The groundskeeper of Ghoulhaven, who's afraid to do his job thanks to the resident Ghoulies!
* Babs Buffbrass: A hard-nosed housekeeper who gets furious at all the mess that she has to clean up throughout the mansion.
* Dr. Krackpot: An insane genius who certainly lives up to his name. He's the Baron's right-hand man and the source of all the Ghoulies.
* Baron von Ghoul: The Baron is partly eccentric, partly evil, and wholly insane! The aristocratic heir to Ghoulhaven, Baron von Ghoul spends his days in his pajamas imagining himself as a pilot.
* The Reaper: An agent of death who roams Ghoulhaven's halls to bring the souls of the undead ghoulies, and anybody who gets in his way, into the afterlife.
* Hunchback: A disfigured ogre of a man who Baron von Ghoul has taken in. He's very protective of his (perceived) handsome face.
* Warlock: An elderly practitioner of black magic who resides in Ghoulhaven and likes to hide in cupboards and other assorted tight spaces.
* The Captain: The leader of the pirate zombies, The Captain was a drunkard who couldn't defend himself in a fight with Cooper and was "done in."
* Roger the Cabin Boy: A tiny imp who was recruited by The Captain to serve in his fleet. He met a violent end when he decided to pester Fiddlesworth.
* Dropper Shocker: A gelatinous blob who drops down from the ceiling to give one of the game's button-mashing Super Scary Shocks.
* Gwenyth: A ghastly green-haired specter who is known to appear outside of windows and frighten passers-by.
* Clive: A giant red serpent who was turned to stone and became part of the decor of Ghoulhaven's walled garden.
* Roysten the Goldfish: This long-suffering goldfish gets a bit of peace and quiet in Ghoulhaven Hall's classroom (also in the game "
*moby game|id=/grabbed-by-the-ghoulies|name="Grabbed by the Ghoulies"
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Grabbed by the Ghoulies — ist ein Videospiel des englischen Spieleentwicklers Rare, das 2003 für die Spielekonsole Xbox veröffentlicht wurde. Grabbed by the Ghoulies ist das erste Spiel des namhaften Softwareunternehmens, das über Microsoft Game Studios vertrieben wurde.… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Grabbed by the Ghoulies — Éditeur Microsoft Développeur Rareware … Wikipédia en Français
Ultimate: Play The Game — Rare (entreprise) Pour les articles homonymes, voir Rare. Logo de Rare Limited … Wikipédia en Français
Ultimate: Play the Game — Rare (entreprise) Pour les articles homonymes, voir Rare. Logo de Rare Limited … Wikipédia en Français
Ultimate Play the Game — Rare (entreprise) Pour les articles homonymes, voir Rare. Logo de Rare Limited … Wikipédia en Français
Digger T. Rock: Legend of the Lost City — Cover art Developer(s) Rare … Wikipedia
Banjo-Kazooie (series) — Banjo Kazooie series The official logo of the series Developers Rare Platforms Nintendo … Wikipedia
Rare (entreprise) — 52° 37′ 47″ N 1° 29′ 37″ W / 52.6296, 1.4937 … Wikipédia en Français
List of Xbox games compatible with Xbox 360 — This is a list of Xbox games that are compatible with the Xbox 360. Additionally, the manner in which compatibility is achieved and the software errors associated with it are discussed in brief. This list is final as Microsoft confirmed in… … Wikipedia
Rareware — Rare Unternehmensform Aktiengesellschaft … Deutsch Wikipedia