- Runnymede (borough)
Runnymede is entirely unparished and is largely built-up, although with expanses of countryside. Places in the district include
Addlestone, Egham, Egham Hythe, Chertsey, Thorpe, Virginia Waterand Englefield Green.
The district is named after
Runnymede, a water meadow on the banks of the River Thamesnear Egham. Runnymede is celebrated in connection with the signature of Magna Cartaby King John in 1215, and is the site of several significant monuments.
The district was formed in
1974under the Local Government Act 1972by the merger of the Chertseyand Egham urban districts. Chertsey UD had been created in 1894under the Local Government Act 1894consisting of all of the ancient parish of Chertsey, whilst Egham UD had been created by the same Act, and then had the parish of Thorpe added to it in 1933 after a County Review Order dissolved the Chertsey Rural District.
Adjacent boroughs include
Spelthorne, Surrey Heath, Elmbridge, Wokingand Windsor and Maidenhead.
At the 2007 elections, the borough was a Conservative hold with 36 seats and the
Runnymede Residents Associationobtained 6 seats. This result was unchanged from the last election. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/vote2007/maps/eng_councils/html/eng_councils_map.stm BBC news] ]
Runnymede is [http://www.runnymede.gov.uk/portal/site/runnymede/menuitem.d996343b00d122a4f289e71030008a0c twinned] with Bergisch Gladbach, situated 10 miles east of Cologne;
Herndon, Virginia, about 20 miles west of Washington, D.C.; and Joinville-le-Pont, located to the east of Paris.
Members of the Borough Council
* Leader of the Council - John Furey
* Deputy Leader of the Council - Peter Waddell
* Mayor - Jim Broadhead
* Corporate Management Committee - J R Furey (Chairman), D R Hamilton (Vice-Chairman), A Alderson, J M Edwards, Mrs L M Gillham, H W V Meares, C J Norman, P I Roberts, P J Waddell and G B Woodger
* Economic Development Committee - Councillors P I Roberts (Chairman), D A Cotty (Vice-Chairman), A Alderson, M J Brown, H A Butterfield, Mrs R M Denby, Mrs C E Gant, J W C Perschke, L C Pouyanne and J J Wilson
* Housing and Community Services Committee - Councillors P J Waddell (Chairman), H A Butterfield and Mrs R M Denby (Vice-Chairmen), J R Ashmore, C J Chapman, R J Edis, P A Francis, R N Jones, Mrs M Roberts and J J Wilson
* Leisure and Environment Committee - Councillors C J Norman (Chairman), M J Brown and Miss M N Heath (Vice-Chairmen), C J Chapman, A J Davis, Mrs M T Harnden, M T Kusneraitis, A M Moore, J W C Perschke and L C Pouyanne
* Review Board - Councillors P B Tuley (Chairman), H W V Meares (Vice-Chairman), D A Cotty, A J Davis, P A Francis, Mrs L M Gillham, R N Jones, A M Moore and A P Tollett
* Planning Committee - Councillors G B Woodger, (Chairman), D W Parr (Vice-Chairman), Mrs F M Angell, J R Ashmore, Mrs F J Barden, J M Edwards, J R Furey, Mrs E Gill, C Knight, M T Kusneraitis, Mrs Y P Lay, H W V Meares, Mrs M Roberts, N Stewert and P B Tuley
* [http://www.runnymede.gov.uk/portal/site/runnymede/ Runnymede Borough Council]
* [http://www.runnymede.gov.uk/portal/site/runnymede/menuitem.52a89bbab1772f21a6c7e2109a9084a0/ Runnymede Councillors]
* [http://cllrdanielhamilton.wordpress.com/ Runnymede Councillor Daniel Hamilton's Blog]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Runnymede Residents Association — has six seats on the Conservative held Runnymede Borough Council. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/vote2007/maps/eng councils/html/eng councils map.stm BBC news] ] The chair is Jenny Hill.ReferencesExternal links*… … Wikipedia
Runnymede (disambiguation) — Runnymede may refer to: * Runnymede, a meadow alongside the River Thames in England, associated with the signing of the Magna Carta * Runnymede (borough), Surrey, England * Runnemede, New Jersey * Runnymede (TTC), a subway station in Toronto,… … Wikipedia
Runnymede and Weybridge (UK Parliament constituency) — UK constituency infobox Name = Runnymede and Weybridge Map1 = RunnymedeWeybridge Map2 = Surrey Type = County Year = 1997 Entity = Surrey County = Surrey EP = South East England MP = Philip Hammond Party = ConservativeRunnymede and Weybridge is a… … Wikipedia
Runnymede local elections — One third of Runnymede Council in Surrey, England is elected each year, followed by one year where there is an election to Surrey County Council instead.The council is divided up into 14 wards, electing 42 councillors, since the last boundary… … Wikipedia
Runnymede — Borough of Runnymede Lage in Surrey Status Borough Region South East England Verw.grafschaft Surrey … Deutsch Wikipedia
Runnymede — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Runnymede (homonymie). Runnymede Administration Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Runnymede Council election, 2003 — Elections to Runnymede Council were held on 1 May, 2003. One third of the council was up for election and the Conservative party stayed in overall control of the council.After the election, the composition of the council was *Conservative 32… … Wikipedia
Runnymede Council election, 2004 — Elections to Runnymede Council were held on 10 June, 2004. One third of the council was up for election and the Conservative party stayed in overall control of the council.After the election, the composition of the council was *Conservative 33… … Wikipedia
Runnymede Council election, 1998 — Elections to Runnymede Council were held on 7 May, 1998. One third of the council was up for election and the Conservative party gained overall control of the council from no overall control.After the election, the composition of the council was… … Wikipedia
Runnymede — /run i meed /, n. a meadow on the S bank of the Thames, W of London, England: reputed site of the granting of the Magna Charta by King John, 1215. * * * ▪ district, England, United Kingdom borough (district) in the northwestern part of the… … Universalium